Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

"Fluffing" an auto-on subwoofer

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I have a nice Cerwin Vega Subwoofer, and I really enjoy it - however I have one question about it. The power options on the sub are "off" and "auto on".

Since it is auto on, when it's turned on, the sub will not kick in until there is a significant enough bass signal. Sometimes if the volume is low, or if the bass signal isn't strong enough, the sub won't kick on when it should.... there may be a 30 second delay.

I wanted to know if there was anything that I could do to "fluff" the sub into active mode so that it will immediately pick up any bass that comes along….. Know what I mean?

I asked this question about a year ago, but never received a concrete answer that worked…

Thanks in advance,

M
([email protected])
Old 06-23-04, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are two things that you might try that I know of:

1. Boost the db level on the sub out in the receiver. You can compensate for this by lowering the boost level on the amp on the subwoofer so that your not running too hot.

2. If you have a L/R input on the sub by a Y cable, these inputs are summed by the amp so your incoming signal is doubled. Its still a mono signal but the incoming level should be double.
Old 06-23-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello...

Yea, I have a Y-cable, so both the L and R inputs are filled.... That idea of increasing the sub level in the receiver and lowering the physical sub volume makes sense and I'll give it a shot....

Thanks....

Matt