Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Whatever Happened To Dollar Theaters?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So whatever happened to the dollar theaters?

When I first moved to Vegas back in 1993, we had five (or maybe six) of them. Two close to me (on the west side of town) and then three others (on the east side). As of 2002, there were zero second-run cinemas left in the entire city of Las Vegas.

When I was a kid, the school(s) I attended along with the summer day camps I was enrolled in would always take all of us youngins' to see movies there. Also every now and then, my mom also used to take me to see the movies we missed when they first came out (like To Wong Foo...). Whenever I went, the showings were usually full of people, let it be during a weekday or weekend.

Come on, who can't afford to see a movie for only a dollar? But then again, as multiplexes in Vegas started opening with stadium seating, Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound, and THX certification; who would want to go to a theater with only a few screens (the dollar theaters here had a minimum of three and a maximum of eight) that had no stadium seating, stereo sound, and a small screen? Then again, you can't complain for only a dollar or two...

But recently, a "new" dollar cinema opened up in Vegas. By "new," I mean they took an existing dollar theater (the last one to close down in 2002), took a while renovating it, and re-opened it. They replaced the projection and sound systems the old theater had (now the theaters have "digital sound"), but didn't do much else.

My friends and I were bored today, so we decided to check out a movie at the dollar theater (where all movies cost three dollars all the time), so since none of them saw Kill Bill: Volume Two during it's first-run release; we went down there to check it out (this would be my second time seeing it). When we got there, the theater reminded me of theaters back in the early '90s. The lobby had a "sitting area" for those waiting for a show or waiting for friends/family to get out of their show, arcade games all against the walls, and a tiny snack bar which only carries the "necessaries" (popcorn, soda, candy, and nachos).

When we entered the auditorium that was showing Kill Bill, the auditorium didn't look all that new. Old and worn out seats, sticky floor, and ugly brown walls. But the screen was actually of a decent size, much bigger than some of the screens of the new multiplexes opening up in Vegas.

Then played the film. No trailers, no annoying commercials, just the film. The "digital sound" was actually pretty good and the print looked brand new (I'm guessing Miramax sent them a new print instead of another theater just giving them an old print). Overall, for $3.00, I was pleased. A much better theatrical experience then I've had at some theaters here (with films starting late, the audio dropping out, the film being projected wrong, cell phones going off, people talking, etc). As we were leaving, we also found out that the theater also showed "cult" films every Friday or Saturday night (Rocky Horror, Pink Floyd: The Wall, and Full Metal Jacket being three recent ones).

I wish there were more theaters like this in Vegas. Why don't people want to go to second-run theaters anymore? Is it not cool to see a movie other than on it's opening weekend? Why? My experience today was fun! WHY CAN'T WE ALL HAVE FUN AT THE MOVIES? WHY?!?!
Old 06-20-04, 01:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
There's a second-run theater here in town that's extremely popular and has been for years. For a short while it was actually the most modern theater in town...for example, it was the first place to be THX certified.
Old 06-20-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For a short while it was actually the most modern theater in town...for example, it was the first place to be THX certified.
Prior to say 1997, none of the theaters in Las Vegas were modern at all. A few had DTS and SDDS, but that was it. So at the time, second-run theaters then were as fully equiped as the first-run theaters.
Old 06-20-04, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got them here in my town.
Old 06-20-04, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wish more second run theaters would have cult film marathons/showings!

Then I would go to the theaters more often,as not many newer films interest me.

I have ventured to the Oak Street Cinema & Uptown here in the Twin Cities to catch some kickass midnight/double feature screenings.

That was alot of fun..but sadly neither theater has played much that interest me or I could'nt afford to go. So I did sadly miss out on Fight Club,Pink Floyd:The Wall,North By Northwest and a few more....granted these theaters charge as much as multiplexes..tehn add in parking! So again,I wish second run theaters would have more revials. I could afford going all the time then!

Yet the films me and a friend did catch at the theaters since late last summer..

Friday the 13th
Beyond The Valley of the Dolls
Fast Times At Ridgemont High
Rock N Roll High School
The Goonies

...were kickass fun times...something new film going experiances seem to miss out on. Audiences are so boring and zombiefied...the films so generic. So it was great seeing audiences both having fun,but remaining respectful..but at least reacting to the films either laughing at a joke,gasping at suspence,jumping at a scare..and applauding when the films end! The multiplex audiences are always so dead and boring,silent..expect for the usual distractions(cell phones.,having conversations with friends..and doing anything but watch the film!) and leaving before or right when the credits begin..no applause,nothing..just hurding out the exit like the cattle that they are.

I did catch School of Rock at a second run theater months ago,which was fun..and seen a few other films before at a second run. Heck the first R rated film my little bother & I saw by ourselves was in a second run theater. The film was Species;D

But if I have some cash this year,I will be going to the Oak Street & Uptown more often,since I could afford to then. I am willing to pay multiplex prices for quality films and good times. But notihng wrong with doller theaters..if the films are good.
Old 06-20-04, 02:52 AM

that "new" theater, trop and pecos right?, also had monte python and the holy grail playing for the last couple of weekends too. these cult movies are five bucks, which is still a pretty good deal. when i first found out that this theater had reopened, two months ago maybe, they had a couple of movies that were a dollar. they were already released on dvd. one was kill bill vol 1, can't remember what the other one was. they haven't done that since the first week i've went. i've gone to about ten movies there since it's reopened and the most people in the theater with me was five. i'm afraid that it's not going to be open for very long with those kinds of numbers, which is a shame. they've all been saturday nights too.
Old 06-20-04, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, Trop and Pecos. The "Tropicana Cinemas."

Yeah, I heard about Holy Grail two weeks ago, but I didn't go since I saw it at the Village Square a few years ago when it was being re-released all across the country. So when I heard about it playing at the Tropicana Cinemas, I was like, "Screw that. I already saw it in the theaters before."

When I saw Kill Bill: Vol 2 there this afternoon, I would say there were maybe around ten or fifteen other people there. In all honesty, I don't think anybody really knows about the theaters. Nobody reads the newspapers anymore to see theater showtimes anymore, it's all about Moviefone or Fandango. It's sad, because the only publicity I have seen for the theaters is from the newspaper.

I hope they do more cult films more often (maybe make it a weekend thing). But with the way it looks, I'm sure it won't be there long. When my friends and I left the theater, there were maybe 2-3 people in the lobby.

Also, how big are the other screens there? Screen 3 was of pretty good size.
Old 06-20-04, 04:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doll ar theatres are still pretty common in IL. I have 2 in a 15 mile distance. The better question would be what the hell happened to Drive-in's? I loved those as a kid and now they are really vintage.
Old 06-20-04, 04:18 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, in LA we don't actually have any "dollar" theaters that I know about, but we do have the New Beverly Cinema, where you can see a double feature for $5, and the stuff they show runs the gamut from the brand new (they showed Mulholland Drive right after it left the theaters) to the very old.

There is one problem with the theater, though. It's in shambles. The seats are horribly uncomfortable, which makes it hard to sit through one film, let alone two. One time a part of the roof fell on my friend's head. And another time, during a matinee show in the summer, it got so stuffy in the theater that I had trouble breathing. So I guess you get what you pay for.

Of course, we have a lot of independent theaters that run re-releases, and we also have the American Cinematheque that has diverse programming spanning all the sound decades and from all around the world. These places all charge around $10 per show, but the theaters are up to date, and the prints are in the best possible condition. Frankly, I'd rather cough up $10 for a good theater experience as opposed to $2 for a good movie in a bad theater.
Old 06-20-04, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With the DVD's coming out 3-4 months later, people don't bother.
Old 06-20-04, 09:50 AM

i think you're right about the paper advertising. that's the only place to get the showtimes, unless you call their actual number or go down to the theater. neither 222-film nor moviefon.com carry their showtimes. they do have them in the system but it always says their showtimes are unavailable at this time. as for the size of the other screens. the two screens in the back are the same size, the four on the sides are about two thirds as big. i've seen smaller screens at bigger theaters actually.
Old 06-20-04, 10:33 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
We've got a couple here. That's where I end up seeing most blockbusters like the Star Wars and LOtR films...
Old 06-20-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My 6-screeen midtown Manhattan complex (Worldwide Plaza) went from first-run to cheapie second-run for $2, then went to $3, then went to $4, then went away.

Empty now for almost 2 years.
Old 06-20-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The one closest to me in Bloomington, IN was torn down recently; it had been around since being a first run theatre in the 60s-70s, and in the 90s became a dollar theatre. There are a few other old theatres in Bloomington that are no longer operating; one is being used as a small venue for concerts which I think is great, and the other is just a building dilapidating. I'm sure it's hard to make a profit in smaller towns with these places, but then again, the concession stand prices were just as pricey as the first run houses before closing. Hard for me to feel sorry for these places when they charge $4 for a soft drink.
Old 06-20-04, 12:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our second run theater does pretty good business, but it's actually a $2-$4 theater. It only has one screen, but it's the only big auditorium in town. The only problem is that they cater more to families and the older crowd, so they rarely have any 'edgier' fare. Stuff like Cheaper By The Dozen and Greek Wedding is the specialty. http://www.oakparktheater.com/

As for "Why don't people want to go to second-run theaters anymore?", I'd easily have to blame the shorter video windows. I have friends who work at our second run. They say many of the films aren't available for second-run until a good two months or so after their initial release date, even if they completely bombed and were out of the first run theater after two weeks. And then the DVD is out a month later...
Old 06-20-04, 01:16 PM

I saw Eternal Sunshine last night for $3.25(late show, normally 2.75 after 6pm). Better than waiting till Sept for the DVD. Anyway we have 2 theatres here and they make a killing - not from admission but from food. Every time i go there is alot of people. It's better than paying full admission ($8.50 is not bad though). But when it comes to movies like Spiderman 2(can't wait) or Shrek 2 i must see them first run.
Old 06-20-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

neither 222-film nor moviefon.com carry their showtimes. they do have them in the system but it always says their showtimes are unavailable at this time.
Actually, when I was looking through Fandango, they had the showtimes on their site. But it was on "page four" when a majority of the theaters prior to that are much further away from me than the Tropicana Cinemas. Hell, I'm a 10-15 minute drive from Luxor's IMAX theater, and that's on page four too. Grrr!

i've seen smaller screens at bigger theaters actually.
The screen I saw Kill Bill yesterday was bigger than a majority of the screens at the Orleans.
Old 06-20-04, 02:48 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Julie Walker
I wish more second run theaters would have cult film marathons/showings!

I have ventured to the Oak Street Cinema & Uptown here in the Twin Cities to catch some kickass midnight/double feature screenings.
Julie,

In Minneapolis, there's been an explosion of midnight movie activity recently. The Riverview ($4), Uptown ($8), St. Anthony Main ($8), and the Block E ($5.75) all show midnight flicks every weekend now.

But I must disagree with the "zombified audiences" comment...

I've been to midnight shows in the past at the Uptown, and I wanted to kill everybody in the theater.

NEVERENDING STORY? The audience was dancing in the aisle during the opening credits, laughing at the homoerotic undertones that the film doesn't have, and generally laughing at whatever goofy little moment they could find.

Same with THE APPLE. One guy made it his duty to laugh at everything very loudly, to make sure the audience knew that he got the joke.

Uptown audiences are the worst in the city. Too hip for their own good.

Riverview, where I saw OFFICE SPACE, was pretty much the same, but lost interest in being annoying halfway through.

Block E has been great so far (PURPLE RAIN, ANIMAL HOUSE, BARBARELLA), since nobody shows up! Nobody there, nobody can be a dick during the movie.

I guess I like zombified audiences, at least I can enjoy the movie with one.
Old 06-20-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet
Well, in LA we don't actually have any "dollar" theaters that I know about, but we do have the New Beverly Cinema, where you can see a double feature for $5, and the stuff they show runs the gamut from the brand new (they showed Mulholland Drive right after it left the theaters) to the very old.

There is one problem with the theater, though. It's in shambles. The seats are horribly uncomfortable, which makes it hard to sit through one film, let alone two. One time a part of the roof fell on my friend's head. And another time, during a matinee show in the summer, it got so stuffy in the theater that I had trouble breathing. So I guess you get what you pay for.

Of course, we have a lot of independent theaters that run re-releases, and we also have the American Cinematheque that has diverse programming spanning all the sound decades and from all around the world. These places all charge around $10 per show, but the theaters are up to date, and the prints are in the best possible condition. Frankly, I'd rather cough up $10 for a good theater experience as opposed to $2 for a good movie in a bad theater.
I love the New Beverly. There was a big article in the LA Weekly about it last year. Basically it's a money-pit. They haven't turned a profit in years, the article said. And it's only a matter of time before they fold.
Old 06-20-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's several dollar-theater ($1.75 on Fri/Sat) here in the north-metro ATL burbs. I usually catch all the movies I was too busy/too poor to catch first run there. The theatres kind of suck seating-wise, but who cares for a buck. For midnight/cult flicks in Atlanta the Landmark is great (shows plenty of arthouse stuff too, just caught Coffee & Cigarettes there for only $6). Up in Champaign there are only 2 first-run theatres and and art-house, all three of which show 2nd run stuff on midnights, stuff like FMJ, Big Lebowski, Drugstore Cowboy, etc. I've only been going to these 2nd run shows for a few months but it's so nice to see stuff like Lebowski in the theatre (I was a little too young when it came out to "get" it).
Old 06-20-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
I still have some in my area but they are horrible, can barely hear the movie and the seats are hard on the kidneys.

Some are nice though - but they are no longer around where I live.
Old 06-20-04, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by scott shelton
Julie,

In Minneapolis, there's been an explosion of midnight movie activity recently. The Riverview ($4), Uptown ($8), St. Anthony Main ($8), and the Block E ($5.75) all show midnight flicks every weekend now.

But I must disagree with the "zombified audiences" comment...

I've been to midnight shows in the past at the Uptown, and I wanted to kill everybody in the theater.

NEVERENDING STORY? The audience was dancing in the aisle during the opening credits, laughing at the homoerotic undertones that the film doesn't have, and generally laughing at whatever goofy little moment they could find.

Same with THE APPLE. One guy made it his duty to laugh at everything very loudly, to make sure the audience knew that he got the joke.

Uptown audiences are the worst in the city. Too hip for their own good.

Riverview, where I saw OFFICE SPACE, was pretty much the same, but lost interest in being annoying halfway through.

Block E has been great so far (PURPLE RAIN, ANIMAL HOUSE, BARBARELLA), since nobody shows up! Nobody there, nobody can be a dick during the movie.

I guess I like zombified audiences, at least I can enjoy the movie with one.

Well I guess I have been lucky at my screenings

I hate disrepectful audiences,which is another reason why I watch dvds more often..than venture to the theaters.

But anyway I was surprised at how 'polite' most of the audiences were at Friday the 13th.

The only time someone yelled out something was when Crazy Ralph was introduced,a person said "RALLLLPH" in some crazy voice and the group he was in laughed thinking they were so hip(oh how I hate those types of morons!). That was it,the rest of the time they were quiet and watching the film. Then once the credits started,they all applauded and only then did a few become noisey with "WOOOOOOOO".

The Goonies was a fun showing as well,the theater was sold out this time,that the film did not start until 12:30am,since the crowds were still piling in. It should have lead to a more noisey rowdy distracting experiance. But again,the crowds were pretty quiet throughout the film,only cheering when thier favorite charecter was introduced,or screaming with delight at the Truffle Shuffle and laughing at the jokes.

No disrespect theyre in my opinion..and again when the end credits hit,a huge round of applause and cheers. The type of audience I like.

Now I will admit to being highly annoyed at The Rocky Horror Picture Show at the Riverview. I've been one to actually enjoy the film itself,so until recently have never experiance the live midnight show audience. But went along as some friends persisted I go..they on the other hand never watch Rocky expect for the live show!..basically saying "it's boring watching it on dvd,you gotta experiance it in theaters man!"..basically to be as annoying and disrespectful as possible. The worst was when my friends took a 'smoke break' outside the theater for 15 minutes,then came back in to 'watch' the show. Where is the respect their?

While some of their remarks were amusing,the constant yelling out of stupid things making fun of the movie got annoying fast. Even worse,the audiences were pretty pathetic and uptight to actually get up and do the dance numbers. So you have the theater troupe trying to motivate the audience,which just was annoying as hell.

I did see it a second time though recently..and it was slightly better than my first experiance. The audience was actually motivated and doing all the Rocky things it is infamous for..unlike the first showing. The theater troupe actually had props and costumes this time..unlike the first time. So it was more lively and fun watching them reenact the film. But still the constant ripping on the film,yelling out something durring every second of the film was irritating.

I mean,I can understand a comment here & there..but by being so loud,as to not even hear the film..and thus get what they are joking about. It is annoying as hell!!

Like when the professors is narrating,they keep shouting out 'YOU HAVE NO NECK,WHERE IS YOUR NECK"..that you can't hear what the prof is saying at all. I don't think this is how a 'audience participation' show should go.

On the plus side,since the theater troupe have a larger cast including a few extras and prop handlers. I noticed plenty of gorgeous women in lingerie and such. Hmm maybe I should join the cast?...which my friends have said I should do.

Anyway I have never been to Block E yet,but then again I don't feel safe going alone late at night in Minneapolis,man the guys can be real pricks when I walk by trying to hit on me and such when I am away from my friends for a milisecond!!

I would love to see Animal House and stuff in theaters though,that would be a blast.

I enjoyed both of my Oak Street visits though,the audiences were more respectful of the films. You'd expect a crazy insane disrespectful audience for Beyond The Valley of the Dolls,but nope,everyone appreciate the film itself,got the jokes,laughed..but where never purposely going out of their way to be as annoying and attention getting as possible.

I think some people mistake cult films as being 'ok' to be a dick and rip on the films...well some people actually appreciate the films dammit. So stick to being a dick in your own homes!
Old 06-20-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts
Well, with inflation we don't have a 'dollar' theater anymore. It is $2. Just saw Jersey Girl there two weeks ago. Hadn't been to that theater in about 6 years.
Old 06-20-04, 09:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Oh, also, Quentin Tarantino is opening a second-run theater in Chinatown to show Hong Kong flicks in Los Angeles.
Old 06-20-04, 11:38 PM
Suspended

the last dollar theater in my area closed down prolly 20 years ago. It was $1 to get in, they had stale popcorn that came in big trash bags instead of popping it themselves, the floors were so un-mopped that if you left your feet on the floor you shoes would be glued down by the end of the movie, and the rats and roaches didn't help either. But you could still see movies for $1 and that was a great price even back then.. I saw Jaws there, Empire strikes back and many others. Multiplexes own the area now. There used to be some nice "twin" theaters in the area, they all closed down and most of em are dollar stores now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.