Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Top bar of widescreen movies is curved....

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-04, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I have a question. I was watching LOTR on an 8 year old Hitachi 36" tv last night via a DVD player with and S-video connection. The picture was beautiful -- however, i noticed that the bottom of the top bar was kinda curved. At first i thought it may be the shape of the TV (curved glass as opposed to flat) -- but i watch movies on non-flat tv's all the time but have never really noticed this problem at all. Is this something that can be fixed via adjustments or calibration of the tv (i would assume it has nothing to do with the dvd player). Movies with smaller widescreen bars still have a slight curve. It's weird though, i don't really see distortion in the movie picture, just the top bar. I have the THX optimizer if this will help.... Maybe i am just not used to a tv this big with out being flat -- please let me know....

Thanks,

M
Old 06-17-04, 09:34 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

You may try calibrations to your tv, it sounds like its your tv but if you haven't done any calibrations and the tv is 8 yrs old, probably won't help now.
Old 06-17-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
If the picture geometry is off, this is something that can only be adjusted in the set's service menus. These are very complicated and are meant to be used only by professional technicians.

If you're up to doing a lot of research, you can do a web search for your set's model number and the term "service menu" and see what you come up with. But be warned, if you don't know what you're doing you can seriously screw up the set, and having gone into the service menu voids any warranty you may still have.

If the slight curve is something you can live with and learn to ignore, that is probably the easiest solution.
Old 06-17-04, 11:04 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
If the slight curve is something you can live with and learn to ignore, that is probably the easiest solution.
Or mask it off with some black paper or material.
Old 06-17-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello....

Thanks for the replies so far.... yea, I can definitly live with it -- I think i am just being picky. I will check out all of the non-invasive settings carefully to see if any of those work. I was just curious as to whether or not this is normal on a 36" non-flat tv. I have only ever had a 60" tv and 27" tv's -- So i have no experience with this size (hehe).

Thanks again for any input.

Matt
Old 06-17-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Correct, your geometry is off and needs to be adjusted in the service menus.

Alternately, you can try moving the set position in the room... 36" tubes and the magnetic field of the Earth can do some strange things with your geometry... Sony makes the best sets with simple geometric corrections in the user menus, not sure about Hitachi.