Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Closing a firearms-related thread

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Old 06-16-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,221 Posts

I couldn't help but notice that a firearms-related thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=370010

was closed just a few minutes ago, with the following provided reason:

Closing threads. DVD Talk isn't the place to discuss guns or ammo.
The only forum rule that even mentions firearms at all is:

Posting links or information about where to purchase or sell drugs, guns or ammunition.
This rule, as interpreted literally, certainly does not prohibit discussions about firearms.

Here is just a short list of firearms-related threads in Other that have not been closed:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...highlight=guns
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=glock

and no doubt several others. I did not find a single thread closed for the reason cited in this most recent thread.

Obviously, it is at Geoff's discretion what the rules are and are not here as he owns the board, but if discussions related to firearms are going to be prohibited, I suggest that the forum rules be updated accordingly.

I'd hate to be suspended just because I want to talk about shooting skeet.
Old 06-16-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And there have been several threads about drugs and drug use.
Old 06-16-04, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not selective inforcement. The thread I closed was pointed out to me and I closed it.

Honestly, this isn't Gun Talk and I'm sure those of you who wish to discuss guns can find a nice place elsewhere to do that.
Old 06-16-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gkleinman
It's not selective inforcement. The thread I closed was pointed out to me and I closed it.

Honestly, this isn't Gun Talk and I'm sure those of you who wish to discuss guns can find a nice place elsewhere to do that.
By the same token, this isn't Book Talk, Movie Talk, Video Game Talk, Tech Talk, Mature Talk, or any subject that is posted in Other.

I feel that DVD Talk is a community, and I like talking to other members of this community about various things besides DVDs, including politics, religion, books, guns, anime, weird pictures, or nothing at all...
Old 06-16-04, 09:26 PM

Understanding, of course, that this rationale could be applied to almost every thread in Other. For example, Other isn't Car Talk either.

I was just seeking some clarification. Is every "gun owners/would-be gun owners talking about guns" discussion prohibited in Other from now on?
Old 06-16-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
So the gun threads are off-limits.

Originally posted by DodgingCars
And there have been several threads about drugs and drug use.
I don't have a problem with the pissing matches about the issues of the drug war.

I do have a problem with threads that goes in specifics of illegal drug use and pricing. Guess I will point those out to Geoff/mods in the future and will expect the same treatment towards those threads.
Old 06-16-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I was going to post this thread, and use this as an example. My post was going to say, why was the shotgun thread bad but this one ok?
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=2

I realize there are plenty of other boards that focus on guns, I could name 2 that I am a member at, and obviously those could be better places to go for extremely detailed questions and discussions. But at the same time, responsible gun ownership is pretty popular, mainly in the US but in other countries too, and as long as the discussion stays civil and only talking about legal uses I would like to see them stay open. I see them as a way to share information about something I enjoy with people who are curious or new to it.

Last edited by mikehunt; 06-16-04 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-16-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A little clarification would be nice.

Is talking about guns in any context forbidden now? Can we talk about gun control laws, or is that off limits too?
Old 06-17-04, 09:36 AM
Moderator Emeritus

It's funny, because it's seemed like the rules about gun threads have been loosened up lately. I seem to remember a time when all threads describing specific firearms or ammo were closed. Threads just discussing gun laws remained open.

I have a theory about drug discussion threads. I believe there was a clause in a certain moderator's contract that required a loosening of the drug thread rules.
Old 06-17-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whats the big deal about discussing guns? How can they be more offensive than half of the disscussions in other and adult talk. They are legal for the most part and we have had discussions in the past about them. I just don't understand how someone could be offended, or have a problem on a discussion about shotguns.

Anyway not that big of a deal, I was just suprised that the thread was closed.
Old 06-17-04, 10:35 AM
Registered

Here's my take. I hate guns. Period. So I have no problem with the discussion of policy, them in relation to the news, and current events. But when it comes to 'Hey lets talk about what kinds of guns to play with' or where do you buy your ammo or 'hey lets shoot something or blow something up'. It's just not the type of conversation I want on the forum which I am the owner.

It's horriably biased but if you look at most thigs on the forum, there are very very few things which I'm biased about. Most (if not all) the OTHER forum mods are conservatives and I like that balance. I'm happy to have a good mix of views.

There are so VERY few topics which aren't permitted here, and the population of people wanting to talk guns is small, so hopefully you all will just respect me on this.
Old 06-17-04, 10:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Well, shoot.
Old 06-17-04, 10:58 AM
X
Administrator

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts
Having had it as a childhood hobby I'm kind of disappointed about that "blow something up" prohibition. But I can live with it.
Old 06-17-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's my take. I hate guns. Period. So I have no problem with the discussion of policy, them in relation to the news, and current events. But when it comes to 'Hey lets talk about what kinds of guns to play with' or where do you buy your ammo or 'hey lets shoot something or blow something up'. It's just not the type of conversation I want on the forum which I am the owner.

It's horriably biased but if you look at most thigs on the forum, there are very very few things which I'm biased about. Most (if not all) the OTHER forum mods are conservatives and I like that balance. I'm happy to have a good mix of views.

There are so VERY few topics which aren't permitted here, and the population of people wanting to talk guns is small, so hopefully you all will just respect me on this.
Thats cool, thanks for clearing things up.
Old 06-17-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's my take. I hate guns. Period.

Dont you hate the Lakers as well? I think you know what you have to do.
Old 06-17-04, 12:25 PM
Registered

Originally posted by chrisih8u
Dont you hate the Lakers as well? I think you know what you have to do.
Yes I do hate the Lakers, but I never kick someone when they're down
Old 06-17-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read the thread and genuinely it felt odd. Realized the "Guns and Ammo" talk seemed out of place here. I do not agree with Geoff on guns but it really stopped me to look at the thread. And I do not have a good reason why other than the feeling it engenders and the instinctual response that it seems wrong.
Old 06-17-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I certainly do respect you on this matter. As you say, it is your forum and you had the stones to be stand up about it and indicate your feelings.

I just hope that you do realize that not all gun owners are lunatic whack job 'gun nuts'. Millions of people are legitimate gun owners who enjoy them for a variety of reasons such as target/skeet/competition shooting, hunting, collecting or *gasp* dare I even say it...home, family and personal defense.

In any case, there are other places to discuss guns.
Old 06-17-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know I thought there was a weird vibe coming from that specific thread about guns too. Maybe it was just me but whatever
Old 06-17-04, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Phil L.
I just hope that you do realize that not all gun owners are lunatic whack job 'gun nuts'. Millions of people are legitimate gun owners who enjoy them for a variety of reasons such as target/skeet/competition shooting, hunting, collecting or *gasp* dare I even say it...home, family and personal defense.
...and trying to make the 2008 U.S. OLYMPIC TEAM.
Old 06-17-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I've never understood people who hate guns, instead of the people who misuse the gun...

Oh well, this is your forum, c'est la vie...
Old 06-17-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Phil L.

I just hope that you do realize that not all gun owners are lunatic whack job 'gun nuts'.
In before kvrdave!
Old 06-18-04, 12:55 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by chanster
I don't know I thought there was a weird vibe coming from that specific thread about guns too. Maybe it was just me but whatever
I agree.

Look lets just try not to have threads that the only point is to drool over guns. Other discussion about policy or issues should be fine, right Geoff?
Old 06-18-04, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Guns bad! Raaaaarrrrr Hulk smash guns! Just because the discussion is about guns doesn't mean we are going to go murder some people. But whatever.
Old 07-05-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Most (if not all) the OTHER forum mods are conservatives and I like that balance. I'm happy to have a good mix of views.
I think he is calling you conservative bfrank! I don't know if i'd tolerate such namecalling!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.