Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

New York Ripper

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-04, 07:05 AM
Alk
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York Ripper

I have been really into Euro horror lately..I just got a bunch of Argento movies and some Fulci movies and loved them.

I was wondering..this movie has interested me for a while..but I think I heard its not too good..Its out of print so I cant order it..but at a hmv I have seen it there for $35 (Canadian)

you think its worth it?
Old 06-17-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get it for as low as possible just to be safe. It is not anamorphic. So if you own a WS tv,be warned.

The movie I have been meaning to give another chance after seeing it once on dvd back in 1999 as an online rental.

At the time it was the better Fulci film I saw,before I saw the incredible The Beyond. Since until then,all of the films I saw were disappointing. Then again they were in bad pan & scan VHS releases,which is why I didn't 'like' Zombie or City of the Living Dead at first. But after seeing them in WS,I liked them much more and think they are good films.

NYR I felt was an incredibly mean spirited nasty film with some unpleasent violence througout it. It is not really an entertaining picture..and was in between dull and well paced at various times. Had some interesting moments and original deaths that will make you cringe.

At the end it left me very depressed and wanting to take a shower to wash the filth off. So I guess Fulci was succesful in his goal.

I plan to give it another chance sometime..hopefully Blue Underground will release it in 16.9 someday.
Old 06-18-04, 11:36 AM
Alk
Cool New Member

thanks a lot for the info!
Old 06-18-04, 12:10 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Julie Walker
It is not anamorphic. So if you own a WS tv,be warned.
The Anchor Bay DVD is anamorphic and looks great.
Old 06-22-04, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Really? Everywhere I checked online + looking at the box itself in person stated it was not anamorphic. Not to mention all the reviews I read when it was first released,stated the same.

Was the version released in the Fulci two pack 16.9? That is the one release I get contradicting information on. Some state 16.9,while others do not.
Old 06-23-04, 08:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
this movie really cemented the fact that Fulci was misogynistic - the film is pretty vile, but for a Italian exploitation splatter flick it's good, but definately not his best film.
Old 06-23-04, 08:57 AM
MSD

The film is great and it IS anamorphic, it's just not stated on the packaging.
Old 06-27-04, 02:39 PM
Cool New Member

The screenshots on HorrorDVDs.com don't look anamorphic to me, but I don't have the DVD so I don't know for sure. When you make a screenshot on your computer, if it's anamorphic the black bars won't show up but if it's not anamorphic, the bars will be there in the screenshot. The screenshots on HorrorDVDs all have the bars with the picture.

Anyway, this is a great movie that any Fulci fan should have in their collection (shame on me!).