Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Pixies song "Bam Thwok" on iTunes

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PIXIES RELEASE BRAND NEW SONG

PIXIES have written and recorded their first new song for thirteen years, and will release it tonight through the Internet.

'Bam Thwok' will go on-sale for 99 cents at midnight (June 15) exclusively on Apple's iTunes Music Store.

Written by bassist Kim Deal, the track was produced and recorded by the band at Stagg Street Studios, Los Angeles, in March.

Clocking in at 2 minutes 35 seconds, the lyrics for 'Bam Thwok' came from an art book Deal found on a city street while on tour a few years ago.

She said: "From the handwriting, you could tell that this book must have belonged to a little kid. This kid had written a short story, a paragraph really, about a party that took place in another universe, about people and monsters that were partying together. That's what provided the inspiration for the lyrics."

The chorus features the lyrics: 'Love. Bang. Crash. Wakka, Wakka, Bam Thwok'.

Deal added: "It's a song about loving everyone... showing goodwill to everyone."

A carousel-esque organ solo also features in the track, which was performed and recorded by guitarist Joey Santiago's father-in-law many years ago, when he was doing missionary work in the Philippines.

'Bam Thwok' was arranged and rehearsed at Santiago's home studio.

Singer Frank Black said: "Recording it was a nice way for us to break the ice after twelve years. The recording process was very relaxed and it didn't feel like twelve years had passed."
Old 06-15-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone hear this?

Old 06-15-04, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just soiled myself. Excuse me....
Old 06-15-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's great. exactly what i expected it to be. nothing SPECTACULAR but it sure proves they can write a catchy song with their signature sound. first song i've ever paid to download. well worth it.
Old 06-16-04, 01:25 AM

Good stuff. Damn catchy. But most importantly NEW PIXIES!!!
Old 06-17-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like it, it's silly, but very catchy. I was and still am very hesitant about new material by them, but if they continue this trend, a new album is welcomed.
Old 08-09-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New Pixies song

I don't believe this has been discussed here (!) but there's a new Pixies song at iTunes. It's a silly little trifle recorded in a home studio and released to iTunes with zero fanfare. A perfect Pixies maneuver! It's called "Bam Thwok" and it's a lot of fun. Kim sings lead with Frank lending a hand. It's a very cool little surprise.
Old 08-09-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts
97X has been playing it since they returned to the streaming airwaves. Personally, I don't care for the track at all, but it's cool that the band is putting something new out there.
Old 08-09-04, 11:12 AM

They're also playing it on Sirius - Left of Center. I haven't cared for the track since day 1. The chorus is irritating; it sounds like it should've been on the flinstones soundtrack. If this is a sign of things to come, I hope the Pixies give it up, before it gets embarrassing.
Old 08-09-04, 12:27 PM

I like it. It's fun.

It's certainly in the same "silly" vein as "Here Comes Your Man" so if you don't like HCYM you probably wouldn't like this.