Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I bought a new TV need HDTV help!!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-04, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a Mitsubishi Widescreen projection Tv which says it is HD- Upgradeable. What do i need to do now? Is there a way besides S video to make my dvds look better? How can I get local channels that are broadcasted in HDTV? any help would be great.
Old 06-14-04, 11:28 PM
Suspended

To get local channels or any HD channels for that matter you need an HD converter box. Best connection method for DVD is component (3 wires for video) or in rare cases, a DVI connection.
Old 06-15-04, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're also going to need an antenna for local channels.

Check out http://www.antennaweb.org to help you pick out what will work best.

Edit to add: this would apply mainly if you have a satellite provider and not cable.

Last edited by Chew; 06-15-04 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-15-04, 11:01 AM

I also have Mitsubishi W/S..WS48413. I use component cables for my connection of dvd player and television using progressive scan and I also use a component cable from my digital video recorder which is also a HD tuner for my High definition connection. This was installed by my cable company. Have fun and enjoy.
Old 06-15-04, 11:19 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who is your provider for cable/satellite?
If its Comcast or a cable company, call to see if they offer HD programming for your area and it would just be a matter of getting the right Receiver from them....they'll provide the cables as well and hook it up to your TV using Component inputs. These are the Red, Blue, Green inputs for the video and hten you'll see white and red for the two audio inputs....you should have several of these sets of inputs on your Mitsu.

If its Satellite, then you have get a HD satellite hookup...dish/antenna and receiver.

You can go the route that Chew suggested for the local channels but many providers such as Comcast do offer it as well.

As for the DVD...use DVI if you have it as MJKTool suggested, otherwise, the next level of quality would be Component.
Old 06-15-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ngp
You can go the route that Chew suggested for the local channels but many providers such as Comcast do offer it as well.
Ahh, my bad. I keep thinking in the satellite mode and forget Cable usually provides those channels for you without an antenna.