Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which Horror movie/Scene does it for you?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Which Horror movie/Scene does it for you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-04, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Which Horror movie/Scene does it for you? (Spoilers)

I love the wide range of opinions on what people think is scary and what isn't.

I've said a couple times on the board already that the Exorcist 1 & 3 scare the living shit of me everytime I watch them. To me, they are the scariest movies of all time. I couldn't believe when I saw someone post "Please don't even recommend the Exorcist to me, I've seen them all and they were a joke" - of course I believe that person but damn............that's a bold statement..to me anyway (with the exception of 2 The Heretic - horrible movie).

So the point is to see which movie or scene scares the hell out of you the most.

As always, if there is a similar thread, I'll kill this one but please note that while there are a lot of threads that may be similiar, this one is to find out which one is the SCARIEST to you (that and there are so damn many that I didn't feel doing a ton of searches, hey so kill me............after you find the damn thread).

Last edited by Rival11; 06-14-04 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-14-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The final shot of The Blair Witch Project caused me a few sleepless nights. I just couldn't get the horrific implications of that shot out of my head for days.
Old 06-14-04, 08:05 PM

Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Two scenes. First was our intro to Leatherface. Such sudden, brutal, graphic, and senseless act. Second was just after when he takes care of the girl in the kitchen. I'll keep this somewhat vague for those who haven't seen it, I guess.

That was some great, great stuff.

Plenty more, but I always thought that was a great 5 minutes or so of horror.
Old 06-14-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Love or hate the movie (I love it), that scene in "Exorcist III" is the all time hall of famer. I've never seen an audience jump out of their seats like that before.
Old 06-14-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Daytripper
Love or hate the movie (I love it), that scene in "Exorcist III" is the all time hall of famer. I've never seen an audience jump out of their seats like that before.
Which one? There are a handfull and like you - I was fortunate enough to be in the theater to see a ton of people jump - happened more than once and it's one of the few movie going experieces I will never forget
Old 06-14-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Rival11
Which one? There are a handfull and like you - I was fortunate enough to be in the theater to see a ton of people jump - happened more than once and it's one of the few movie going experieces I will never forget

***Spoilers***** (??)

Which one!?? The scene where the Gemini killer (devil?) comes out of nowhere to decapitate the nurse.
Old 06-14-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Daytripper
***Spoilers***** (??)

Which one!?? The scene where the Gemini killer (devil?) comes out of nowhere to decapitate the nurse.
Damn, forgot to mention this thread will have spoilers galore and yes - that was a killer scene.

Last edited by Rival11; 06-14-04 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-14-04, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
There are only two movies that still freak me out(a little):

In the Mouth of Madness (Carpenter brilliance)
Candyman (that haunting score gets in your head)
Old 06-14-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The final scene of Carrie was pretty freaky for me.
Old 06-15-04, 12:43 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Alien

Spoiler:
The scene with Dallas in the air duct when he lights it up with the flamethrower and the the alien is right there in front of him

I watched that again last week with my friend who had never seen the movie and he jumped out of his chair when that happened.
Old 06-15-04, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, whenever i watch Pet Cementary and they show that scene where that womans sister lies in bed and says "Never Sleep Again, NEVER SLEEP AGAIN!". Damn, i get scurred just thinking about it.
Old 06-15-04, 04:51 AM

Originally posted by thegame370
Man, whenever i watch Pet Cementary and they show that scene where that womans sister lies in bed and says "Never Sleep Again, NEVER SLEEP AGAIN!". Damn, i get scurred just thinking about it.
That freaked me out too. I haven't seen it since it came out, but I remember the sister getting out of bed and kind of scrambling towards the camera in a horrifying way.
Old 06-15-04, 07:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THE scene.

The Exorcist III

'Nuff said.
Old 06-15-04, 09:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by MrX
Alien

Spoiler:
The scene with Dallas in the air duct when he lights it up with the flamethrower and the the alien is right there in front of him

I watched that again last week with my friend who had never seen the movie and he jumped out of his chair when that happened.
Spoiler:
but even the suspense that is built up before the reveal is nail biting
, The first time I saw Alien was on a small 13' tv, the scene did nothing, I then saw the film again a number years later in a 70mm print as a reissue at the Uptown theatre - then the scene made me jump a foot into the air.

Jaws -
Spoiler:
the floating head
Old 06-15-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by thegame370
Sematary. Yes that movie was pretty freaky as well. Saw that when I was 15 at a friends around 4 in the morning. Good stuff.
Old 06-15-04, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Sematary.
A little off topic, but I never got that. It is correctly spelled 'cemetery,' isn't it? Why was the official title 'Pet Sematary?' Was it because the cemetery was founded by children?
Old 06-15-04, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
From Poltergeist - who can forget the "looking in the mirror" scene .... and the kitchen scene was pretty gross, too.
Old 06-15-04, 10:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by caiman
The final shot of The Blair Witch Project caused me a few sleepless nights. I just couldn't get the horrific implications of that shot out of my head for days.
That scene disturbed me more than anything I've ever seen on film. It's truly the only time that a movie has ever given me nightmares.
Old 06-15-04, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Jack's Smirking
That scene disturbed me more than anything I've ever seen on film. It's truly the only time that a movie has ever given me nightmares.
I have to agree with this that last seen was scary.

Also the Omen with the opening of the grave.

Sixth Sense when Osment says that the died bicyclist is standing next to his window was creepy.
Old 06-15-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
As mentioned, the entire house scene in Blair Witch Project.

Also another scene that gets me is in The Shining when Danny is riding around the hotel in his big wheel. He makes that turn, and there are the twins waiting for him down the hall....
Old 06-15-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by yecul
Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Two scenes. First was our intro to Leatherface. Such sudden, brutal, graphic, and senseless act. Second was just after when he takes care of the girl in the kitchen. I'll keep this somewhat vague for those who haven't seen it, I guess.

never found anything in that movie brutal or graphic, mainly because there was no on screen violence (although the movie in general scareed the crap out of me.
Old 06-15-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the spider walk scene in the exorcist when it was re-released in the theaters definately did it for me. The sound was amazing. I remembered being too scared to move. Good stuff..
Old 06-15-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The clown scene in Poltergeist - scared the living crap outta me when I was 12. I can watch it now and nothing but I remember, oh I remember, what it did to me the first time I saw it.

Session 9 - when the guy is in the asylum at night "coin hunting" and sees a figure in the dark hall following him. I saw this movie in the middle of the night with a windstorm outside, gave me chills like I hadn't felt in a long time.

"The scene" in Exorcist 3 has to be one of the best scares ever set up in a movie. Who could see that coming?

American Werewolf in London - his nightmare where he wakes up with the fangs and funky eyes.

I remember seeing the TV spots for Halloween back in 1977 (I was 6) and getting creeped out by them.

Unfortunately, none of these scenes scare me any longer and legitimate scares in movies are few & far between ("boo" scares where a cat jumps into frame seems to be where most horror movies now like to get their scares).

Last edited by freudguy; 06-15-04 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-15-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by caiman
Without a doubt people laugh, but that image of Mikey standing in the corner is hard to shake.
Old 06-15-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rival11
Without a doubt people laugh, but that image of Mikey standing in the corner is hard to shake.
I like the movie, but I have to admit that the first time I saw it I started laughing cause it looked like he was in the corner taking a leak.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.