Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Unrated vs. R rating

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-04, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unrated vs. R rating

I am interested in buying a dvd that is offered in both an "R" rating, and an unrated version. I seem to recall reading that the unrated version of a dvd is less censored than an "R" rated one. Yet, the description on Amazon says that the "R" rated version will not be sold to anyone under 18, and the unrated version doesn't say anything about any type of restriction.
By the way, the dvd is called "Sex and Lucia". Can anyone help me with this?
Old 06-12-04, 08:11 PM

Get the unrated. It's the way the director meant it to be seen before it was cut for the MPAA. There was some male frontal nudity that was cut out for the R and I'm not sure what else, but you'll want to see the originally intended version.
Old 06-12-04, 08:16 PM

Thank you, dhs122. Is this movie any good? It sounds like you've seen it.
Old 06-12-04, 09:33 PM

heh, my local walmart won't sell R rated movies to anyone under 17, but yet they don't have any policies for unrated movies (considered NR). then again they don't carry unrated movies like Old School (just the R rated version) and a few more I can't think of atm.
Old 06-12-04, 10:33 PM

I thought the first half of the movie was excellent and the second half not so good. But it's worth seeing. Check the REVIEWS section for more info.
Old 06-12-04, 10:40 PM

Thanks again.
Old 06-12-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
usually, i'll pick up the unrated version, if there is one. it'll usually have a little more footage.
Old 06-12-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Unrated vs. R rating

Originally posted by Sonny
I seem to recall reading that the unrated version of a dvd is less censored than an "R" rated one.
"Not Rated" simply means that the particular edit has not been submitted to the MPAA for a rating, and doesn't automatically mean "less censored". The recent DVD release of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly doesn't have the R rating anymore, it is now "not rated" because the cut with the 18 additional minutes was never submitted.

A director could add 5 minutes of grass growing and have his movie go from R to unrated.
Old 06-13-04, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, UNRATED is becoming the new marketing gimmick. Universal can easily sell two copies of whatever film by marketing one as Rated and then releasing another one tagged as Unrated when in reality, if they did actually submit that "unrated" cut of the film to the MPAA they would have most likely recieved the same out come in rating scale for the film.
Old 06-13-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But Jack,in the case of this particular film Sex & Lucia,the unrated version was released theatrically on the arthouse circuit. That version was threatened with an NC-17 based on the sexual content of the film. We all know how uptight pathetically conservative the MPAA is regarding serious sexual content in films.

The R rated version,or in this case,the censored version was made for censorship supporters like Blockbuster & Wal-Mart and cut by a few minutes. That version not only is not the original version release theatrically,but the cuts do seriouslly compromise many moments,which are a part of the film.

So cry all you want how 'unrated is just a gimmick',when with mainstream major studio releases. Yes,that may be true,but with films like Sex & Lucia,it is not true.

So unless the 'unrated' version is a complete and total revisionism ala Lucas or Micheal Manns bad reedits. Then get the 'rated' original theatrical version. Yet if you have the choice between a censored film(Basic Instinct) or uncensored. Get the uncensored in that case,since it was the original intended version not compromised by the MPAA.

But I guess unrated is 'only' a gimmick,so maybe I should demand the goreless incomprehensible R rated version of Dead Alive to be released on dvd?

The unrated version of that was no gimmick and neither is Sex & Lucia.
Old 06-13-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

for sex and lucia, isnt' there a hj scene in the movie? that in my book would prob. mean nc-17 by default.
Old 06-13-04, 07:39 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

this was a fantastic film that requires many viewings to get the point of it. i hvae the unrated cut and the film is quite graphic sexually. Erect penises; lots of nudity and sex;sex talk; masturbation, full on felatio. Dont get the R version. If you are okay with such frank sexuality get the unrated or dont get it at all. The sex is very important to this film and getting an R cut of this would really hamper it a great deal IMO.
Old 06-13-04, 07:41 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by OREOSpeedwagon
heh, my local walmart won't sell R rated movies to anyone under 17, but yet they don't have any policies for unrated movies (considered NR). then again they don't carry unrated movies like Old School (just the R rated version) and a few more I can't think of atm.
my blockbuster is stupid. anyone can rent R rated films, but any and all unrated films (usually documentaries and straight to video stuff as well as cable tv movies) are given the youth restricted viewing thing. A lot of the films are aimed at kids and they still have a restriction on it. pretty funny
Old 06-13-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Whynotsmile thanks for posting the content information

Some people say unrated is 'only' a marketing gimmick. Well they are watching the wrong films that is for sure

Anyway I plan on seeing the film sometime for two reasons

1-looks interesting

2-heard it was shot on digital video and looks like film. So I want to see that for myself,as I am not 'wowed' yet when it comes to DV movies.

Also isn't there like 10 minutes cut from the R version? I recall seeing the box in a store and it said it was 115 minutes,while the Unrated is 128 minutes. Yet dvdempire lists 126minutes & 128 minutes. Then again,packagings don't always have the correct running time information especially on some websites.

For example,Tromas Citizen Toxie:Tovic Avenger 4 unrated box says 99 minutes..and so does the R version! The unrated in actuality is 108 minutes..and god only knows how long the R version is. The reason I mention that is,I rented the R version of Terror Firmer once just for laughs/comparision sake. Despite it claiming to run 98 minutes(Unrated is 114 minutes)..the video clocked in at 98 minutes including all the trailers and advertisments before and after the film! So the actual R version is in the 80 something minute range and butchured beyond recognition!

Then you have cases like SPUN which both have the same running times. But the R version bleeps out alot of the language,black boxes out the sex/nudity/'questionable' footage,blurs other imagery and probably crops some shots as well to obscure stuff. So again unrated is the way to go!
Old 06-13-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some people say unrated is 'only' a marketing gimmick. Well they are watching the wrong films that is for sure
Well I certainly don't know what the hell are you talking about. I don't recall nor did I even begin to mean that unrate is ONLY a marketing gimmick. Much like everything else julie, you like to read into things for your own agenda and argue for the sake of arguing.

Yes, there is legit Unrated films that have that content in their film that was "censored" in a theater cut. But for the most part a lot of the films that carry the Unrated tag can very easily be resubmitted and still get the same rating.

Sex & Lucia is a far different film then say Eurotrip or Bad(der) Santa. One is main stream and one has an indie market. That also plays a factor into it. Why would a studio want to fakely market an indie film with both unrated and rated and not mean it?

So cry all you want how 'unrated is just a gimmick',when with mainstream major studio releases. Yes,that may be true,but with films like Sex & Lucia,it is not true.
I don't remember saying anything to even remotely "CRY" about it if it really is a justified "unrated" tag. But for mainstream films like Eurotrip and pretty much any UNIVERSAL (Which if you read I was pointing at) title it's generally seen that those Unrated tag lines are nothing more then a marketing gimmick.

Though I really don't see why you are fighting this anyhow? we have agreed on this issue many times. But perhaps you just do like to debate something you already agreed on.

Whatever. let me rephrase it

Generally Universal MAIN STREAM films get a unrated tag and it is not needed as the material can be resubmitted and still remain with the same rating. Though there is those who the tagline "unrated" was ment for that are getting overshadowed by this action.
Old 06-13-04, 09:19 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by OREOSpeedwagon
Yeah, Walmart makes a policy of not carrying unrated films. So that's their policy. They don't sell them to ANYONE of any age.

Don't you love how stores try to impose their morals on you?

Meanwhile, unrated versions of most teen comedies outsell the rated R version by 10 to 1 - and it'd probably be more than that if not for the unsuspecting Walmart sales where uninformed customers may pick it up on a whim and not be aware of the other version.
Old 06-13-04, 09:59 PM

Thanks for all the help. I just ordered this movie in the unrated version. Can't wait.
Old 07-30-04, 07:13 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Dorm Daze unrated

Girl next door unrated

Taking live unrated

most would be just a few extra scenes