Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Garfield?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Thoughts on Garfield?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-04, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on Garfield?

I just came home from seeing this movie and let me tell you I was quite disappointed in it.

First off, in the comic Jon is a complete nerd who dresses like an idioit and thinks it looks good, but in the movie he is a nervous guy, no nerdiness to him.

Second off, in the comic Liz (the vet) didn't like Jon she always turned him down, in the movie she's crazy for him

I just feel that the movie was a huge let down compared to the comics...
Old 06-12-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the list can go on and on.
Old 06-12-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
re: Thoughts on Garfield -

Garfield is fat
Garfield eats Jon's food
Garfield never kills the mice
Garfield pushes Odie off table
Jon never gets a date.

30 years of strips, 95% of them based on one of the above 5 topics.

oh, you were talking about the movie.
Old 06-12-04, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's what I liked:

- Bill Murray as the voice of Garfield
- The CGI Garfield
- Odie was a cute puppy.

That's it. The only redeeming factor was that I snuck into a second screen of The Chronicles of Riddick before Garfield started and saw the Alien vs. Predator trailer. Now, if they showed it before Garfield (AS THEY SHOULD HAVE SINCE THEY'RE BOTH FOX RELEAESES), it would've been a bit better. But besides that, no.
Old 06-12-04, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Odie should have been a CGI dog.
Old 06-12-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Odie should have been a CGI dog.
Strong agreement.

Odie as a real dog is like making a Snoopy movie with a real beagle.
Old 06-12-04, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by ReduxGuy

.... Now, if they showed it before Garfield (AS THEY SHOULD HAVE SINCE THEY'RE BOTH FOX RELEAESES), it would've been a bit better.
I'm pretty sure the AvP trailer would not find the right audience in front of a kid's PG movie.
Old 06-13-04, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it more than I figured I would, and this should get some lambasting but I liked it better than Shrek 2 which I was very disappointed in. Murray as Garfield was someone's stroke of genius.
Old 06-13-04, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by silentbob007
I'm pretty sure the AvP trailer would not find the right audience in front of a kid's PG movie.
Come on, that would be using Logic and no studio can show any signs of logic now a days.

Seriously, Why would it make any sense for AvsP trailer to be shown before Garfield? that's like advertising a Moore film at a Bush fund raising event.

Notice that trailers by different studios are often with films that are of the same nature opposed to just being the same company that produced the film? yeah..
Old 06-13-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I don't know what it is with kids today...I guess standards are just so much more lax now than when I was a kid...

Took my kids to see this after they begged and begged.

I didn't laugh once. The four-year-old laughed twice. The seven-year-old didn't laugh once.

Now they both can't wait for the video!!

The best thing I can say for the movie is that is many ways it is reminiscent of the strip. The worst thing I can say is that in many ways it is reminiscent of the strip.

CGI was weak...esp. when someone would lift Garfield. Cast was wasted. Terrible, terrible script.

Lack of a CGI Odie didn't bother me since that dog gave the movie's best performance.
Old 06-13-04, 07:58 AM

I laughed once or twice......kids really enjoyed it.....exactly what I expected.
Old 06-13-04, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Cheesy as all hell, but my 3 year old laughed out loud multiple times, so it served its purpose.

Of course, this probably means I'll have to buy the DVD. Damn.
Old 06-13-04, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll admit that I"m interested in seeing the film a long ways down the road on cheap DVD simply because I'm a Garfield fan. Hey, Jim Davis said that he liked the movie when I had him sign a book for me, so there's an unbiased opinion ....
Old 06-13-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Matty-O
I laughed once or twice......kids really enjoyed it.....exactly what I expected.
Agreed!!
Old 06-15-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll be brave and offer my 2 bits on "Garfield".

I liked the opening 20-30 minutes of the movie. The animators of Garfield did a pretty fun job of bringing Garfied to the big screen as a CGI-character. I laughed a lot at the cat-related humor (cat aficionados will like the movie more than non-cat aficionados). The use of Bill Murray's voice as Garfield worked for me. The singing numbers also made use of Murray's penchant for lounge singing. The dancing sequences were funny to me.

The humans in the film have pretty thankless roles, and are pretty much the props that propel the paper-thin plot forward. Don't expect much from Breckin Myer or Jennifer Love Hewitt, they are just part of the scenery, for the most part. But the interplay between John and Garfield did garner some laughs from me from time to time.

Once the "plot" gets going, it gets a bit too "serious" and the fun factor seems to dry up quick. The ending can't quite elevate the film from being kiddie fare, but I've seen less funnier comedies, so it wasn't all bad.

I give it 2 stars or a grade of C.
Old 06-16-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I might be in the minority, but I would have rather seen traditional animation for Garfield and Odie in a real-life background ala Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. Garfield looked incredibly fake anyhow, so why not at least make him look like he always has in cartoons and comic strips.
Old 06-17-04, 03:24 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ENDContra
I might be in the minority, but I would have rather seen traditional animation for Garfield and Odie in a real-life background ala Who Framed Roger Rabbit?. Garfield looked incredibly fake anyhow, so why not at least make him look like he always has in cartoons and comic strips.
Agreed,

Hopefuly they won't do that to the Simpson when the movie comes out. Cartoon should remain as cartoon whether in book, T.V. or Movie. Creating a CGI Garfield is like creating a new character altogether.
Old 06-18-04, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally posted by Matty-O
That about summed it up for me also. Of course they weren't my kids.