Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I'm getting nostalgic

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I'm getting nostalgic

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm getting nostalgic

With some of the recent threads and President Reagan's funeral today I am getting nostalgic about my good old days of high end audio.

I remember waiting for two Threshold amps to warm up to listen to a new pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's, the source material was a Sheffield Drum record.

I remember buying my first pair of high-end audio speakers in 1980, a pair of Magnepan MG1A's that I own to this day.

I remember searching audio stores and record stores in five states trying to find a copy of Mannheim Steamroller, Fresh Aire III.

I remember trying to convince my wife that we needed to buy a cd player!

I remember listening (and seeing) my first pair of Infinity Towers (50K) at the time!

I remember driving to a small shop (in someone's house) just to buy a carbon fiber record brush.

During the 80's I got married, had a son and met President Ronald Reagan. I also continued my love of high end audio and eventually video.

What a day
Old 06-12-04, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am going to go touch my laserdiscs. Specially Under Siege II.
Old 06-13-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by RandyC
They really made an "Under Siege II?" Why???
Old 06-14-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Walter Neff
They really made an "Under Siege II?" Why???
Because someone out there recognized the understated brilliance that is Stephen Seagal.

I am waiting for the conclusion to this glorious trilogy. There must be some contractual hold up with the studios. Maybe something with Criterion trying to get the rights... I know they have not been successful so far. *shiver* imagine the insight from a commentary by Seagal!
Old 06-14-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RandyC

Wasn't there a story behind this?
Old 06-14-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by BigDave

Wasn't there a story behind this?
Yeah, it's very old school. Before forums.

Back in the day, my modest collecting of Laserdiscs ran into people dumping entire collections because of the hor new DVD. I, using some interesting techniques, bought a LOT of those collections on alt.video.laserdic. I was kinda well known there and on alt.video.dvd before I left because of the low signal/noise ratio.

I bought out a distributor of his LDs. A lot of them were awesome and made me a lot of money. I got something like 15 Hellraiser Box Sets, one of which I sold back to Clive Barker. I paid somethign like $12 each and sold them for over $100.

BUT... in that collection, I also got something like 85 sealed copies of Under Siege II. What was I going to do with them? It became a joke around the news group. One rumor was that I had a special Steven Seagal shrine at my house.

I gave them away. In fact, I still do. I have 30 of them left. If anyone wants a museum quality laserdisc (oooohhhh... they are shiny and big!)... let me know. Otherwise I am using them for skeet practice or a very shiny shed siding material.
Old 06-14-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what I thought the story was.

You ought to put all 30 on E-bay and see if you can find a buyer. Maybe Segal will want to take them off your hands.