Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

andy serkis is playing KING KONG

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-04, 10:31 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy Serkis, the man behind the CGI-character Gollum in the LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy, will again team with Peter Jackson to star as the title character in KING KONG. Jackson and Serkis will again use motion-capture technology to create the all-CGI Kong for the film. In addition to starring as the massive ape, Serkis will also star in a live-action role as Lumpy, a cook aboard the ship that brings Kong back from Skull Island. Of the reteaming Jackson said, ""While Andy will provide very valuable onset reference, this doesn't mean we will be softening Kong by attempting to humanize him. The power of the story lies in the fact that this is a savage beast from a hostile environment, and we don't intend to compromise that." Also starring in the remake are Naomi Watts, Jack Black and Adrien Brody. Filming is expected to begin later this year with a December 2005 release planned. As for the gang at JoBlo.com and our thoughts on this?... Well I'd say the feelings range from skepticism to cautious optimism. I guess we should put our faith in the guy who created some of the biggest and most successful movies of all time...
Old 06-11-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
duh
Old 06-11-04, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wonder if this movie will be a hit...hmmmmmmm.....
Old 06-11-04, 12:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
why don't they just slap some black paint on this guy...

or at least get Ang Lee to do it as he's already been through the motions...literally!
Old 06-11-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Jack Black? ugh. Everyone else seems like they are a good choice.
Old 06-11-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by scott1598
why don't they just slap some black paint on this guy...

or at least get Ang Lee to do it as he's already been through the motions...literally!
Yeah but we all know how that turned out. Little Asian men don't make for good green monsters nor giant monkeys either.
Old 06-11-04, 02:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Andy "13 Going on 30" Serkis?

PASS
Old 06-11-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Yeah but we all know how that turned out. Little Asian men don't make for good green monsters nor giant monkeys either.
The motion-capture work in Hulk was excellent. The CG, however, did not do it justice.
Originally posted by Groucho
Andy "13 Going on 30" Serkis?

PASS
Don't forget Jack "Neverending Story III" Black! Whoooooah no!
Old 06-13-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tanman
Jack Black? ugh. Everyone else seems like they are a good choice.
Jack Black will be playing Carl Denham. Sure seems like good casting to me!
Old 06-13-04, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
The motion-capture work in Hulk was excellent. The CG, however, did not do it justice. Don't forget Jack "Neverending Story III" Black! Whoooooah no!
I agree, The Hulk moved just perfectly. CG looked good to me, though those unrealistic aspects of that CG creation I can understand why some might not like it. But...that's just a question of how much suspension of reality you're willing to go with.

Kong by all means should be an easier task than The Hulk. I think the green color, which is just insanely odd looking, really made the Hulk a difficult creature to create, not to mention the enlarged human proportions. Kong is an oversized, black ape though. Not that it's easy, but CG tech on fur has come along way, and it's not like it's going to be that much of a stretch in design away from what a real ape looks like. So...I'm sure this'll look great.

Regarding Serkis...well...sure why not.
Old 06-13-04, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Personally, i don't think Serkis made Gollum any better then anyone else could have.
Old 06-13-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe not, but at least they won't have to train a new guy on the motion capture system.
Old 06-13-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I think it's great choice. The guy knows movement and apparently Jackson has a good working relationship with him. I don't see any negatives here.
Old 06-13-04, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Jackson really wants to get him an oscar nod doesn't he?
Old 06-14-04, 09:57 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
After playing Martin Hannett this seems like a logical career move.
Old 06-14-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As long as King Kong doesn't start have any speaking lines, I'm all for it.
Old 06-14-04, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by fumanstan
Personally, i don't think Serkis made Gollum any better then anyone else could have.
Thank you, I totally agree.

Peter Jackson directing

Andrien Brody being involved
Old 06-14-04, 12:13 PM

What's wrong with Adrien Brody? He's got a freakin' Oscar, and those Diet Coke commericials are da bomb, yo.
Old 06-14-04, 12:41 PM

What's wrong with Adrien Brody? He's got a freakin' Oscar, and those Diet Coke commericials are da bomb, yo.
Frankly I was turned off by his Oscar speech. I just don't care for him, that's all. No other good reason.
Old 06-14-04, 12:45 PM

Considering your username, I'd think you'd be more accomidating towards somebody who planted one on Halle "Yo Momma" Berry.
Old 06-14-04, 01:03 PM

Considering your username, I'd think you'd be more accomidating towards somebody who planted one on Halle "Yo Momma" Berry.
Ahh herrd that!

Last edited by wordtoyamotha; 06-14-04 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-14-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love King Kong. I really hope this doesn't turn out to be like the Godzilla remake.
Peter Jackson
Jack Black
Naomi Watts
Adrien Brody
Andy Serkis - What's he gonna do? I know he did the voice for Gollum, but Kong doesn't speak.
Old 06-14-04, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by fumanstan
You're right. Also, I think they could have replaced Sean Astin and Christopher Lee and John Rhys-Davies with anyone else too. I mean, it doesn't take any work to be involved in a special effects-heavy movie. They just cover you with makeup and do CG work and it's done!
Old 06-14-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Kong by all means should be an easier task than The Hulk. I think the green color, which is just insanely odd looking, really made the Hulk a difficult creature to create, not to mention the enlarged human proportions.
Of course it will be. Look no further than Mighty Joe Young to see exceptional CG work where an ape is concerned. Hulk was an entirely different matter though. Hulk was no doubt the most difficult CG creature ever attempted. With the Hulk, we're talking a 12 foot tall, hulking green man that runs a hundred miles an hour and leaps 3 miles in a single bound. Not only that, he had to look seamless and convincing in an entirely real world setting, rather than a fantasy world, which tends to look slightly fake to begin with. And he's green. That's an incredibly difficult effect to achieve.

The effects work in the Hulk was exceptional, and technically brilliant. The problem was people can't suspend their imagination enough to buy into a hulking green beast doing all of that. They basically expected Lou Ferrigno in green paint, instead of a true to the comic book Hulk. Plus, many people didn't like the film.

That's about as real as a green Hulk is going to look with today's technology.

As for Kong, for much of the film he'll exist in a fantasy setting. Not to mention he's black and won't stick out like a sore thumb the way a green man will. So I have no doubt the effects will be great. After all, they did create a photoreal ape 6 years ago.

I see them having no trouble creating Kong in CG!