Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Field of Dreams Question

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Field of Dreams Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-04, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Field of Dreams Question

My brother randomly called me up today, in order to discuss Field of Dreams. Now I haven't seen the full film in like 10 years, so I wasn't able to refute any of his statements, but he was wondering if they held up.

Do I even need to spoilerize this? The movie is old...

Spoiler:
He's of the opinion that Terrence Mann died right before Costner first met up with him. This is why he was able to go off into the cornfields with the ballplayers, while Costner had to stay behind. I pointed out that his brother-in-law interacted with Mann, so that would be a strike against the idea (sorry about the pun) but his defense was that Costner was sort of a mythical figure who was able to transcend between the world of the living and the dead, which is why he was able to channel the baseball players, which is why when Mann and Costner were together, the brother-in-law could talk to him.

As I said, I haven't seen the movie in a long time, so I wasn't able to form any really solid arguments. Anyone else have opinions on this?
Old 06-11-04, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here's my take on it.

Spoiler:
Terrence Mann wasn't dead, at least not when Costner first met him, the best reason being the one that you gave. He was invited to join the baseball players, so at that point you could say he "died" or simply crossed over. I believe that Mann also interacts with a vendor at the baseball game in Boston, so that puts another hole in your brother's theory. Also, if Costner was a conduit between the two worlds, then why couldn't his brother-in-law see and interact with the baseball players, as much as Mann? A better question is, was young Archie Graham a spirit when they picked him up on the side of the road, or was he reincarnated, or something else, before he was invited to play?
Old 06-11-04, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't really buy it.

Spoiler:
Costner had to ask some of the locals where Mann lived. And even though he was a recluse, his death would've been publicized.
Old 06-11-04, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Spoiler:
I don't think he's dead. There's the scene where Ray reads the article in the paper about Terrance being "missing" and Terrance needs to call his son to let him know he's okay. If the article was about Terrance's body being found deat at his home that would be one thing, and I doubt Terry's a zombie walking around Fenway & Iowa!
Old 06-11-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
All of the above are trying to impose a normal time sequence on events ..... I see it more as if time has folded in on itself to allow the events to happen as we see them.
Old 06-11-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Wazootyman - Sounds like your brother has been smokin' a few of Ray Kinsella's corn stalks. Terence Mann was alive and well throughout the picture. Unless ghosts can rent their own apartments, write their own software, drive a van and eat a hot dog and a beer at a Sox game.

Plus:
Spoiler:
Terence was COMING BACK after he visited the "Field of Dreams"...he was going to write a book about his experiences...that's why the ball players wanted him to come with them.
Old 06-11-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
THAT WAS A JOKE between costner's character and MANN "I want a full report when you get back".......he was never gonna come back it was just a joke to make light of the situation that he was leaving........
Old 06-11-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by andy434343
THAT WAS A JOKE between costner's character and MANN "I want a full report when you get back".......he was never gonna come back it was just a joke to make light of the situation that he was leaving........
Well, I think that he would have come back in one form or another. Whether he would really be alive is another discussion.
Old 06-11-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mann was able to go away just the same way Doc Moonlight Graham could cross back into the world of the living.
Old 06-11-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you go by the original novel, Mann was alive and well... except he wasn't in the novel at all.

From IMDB:

In the novel, the reclusive author whom Kinsella sought out was J.D. Salinger, whose novel "Catcher In The Rye" included a character named Richard Kinsella. The producers of the film adaptation were forced to create a fictional reclusive author (James Earl Jones' character, Terrence Mann), because of the threat of legal action by Salinger, who was reportedly incensed when the novel was published in 1982.