Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Bad peaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-04, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad peaking

Just curious since I'm still pretty new to all of this home theater stuff. I notice sometimes there's some bad peaking on the center channel with certain 'spoken' audio. And it's usually still apparant on some stuff even when I turn the volume down a bit. I can live with it, that's fine, because it doesn't do it for everything. My system can be pretty loud, and I can listen to some things without any problem, at any volume I want. But certain things just seem to have that certain 'hiss' or whatever you want to call it during some vocal audio. Anybody got any ideas if it's just because of the system of if it's the DVD's or what? I got a panasonic sc-ht920.
Old 06-09-04, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I notice sometimes there's some bad peaking on the center channel with certain 'spoken' audio. And it's usually still apparant on some stuff even when I turn the volume down a bit. I can live with it, that's fine, because it doesn't do it for everything. My system can be pretty loud, and I can listen to some things without any problem, at any volume I want. But certain things just seem to have that certain 'hiss' or whatever you want to call it during some vocal audio.
Well this is the reality of a home theater in a box.

In fact you may be able to listen "at any volume I want" but the amplifier and the speakers are not capable of delivering what you want. The hiss is system noise and the "peaking" might be clipping. If you are clipping the amp you are slowly burning out the center channel and possibly the fronts as well.
Old 06-09-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, eluminate me here. What do you mean by 'clipping'. I mean, I only listen to it at about -30 dB... not too bad of a volume for watching most stuff when you're still living at home and have a system like this in your bedroom. As I said, this 'hiss' during some of the dialogue, doesn't happen to every movie, only some certain ones. It's a pretty damn good system for the most part. But I notice watching the latest Buffy set and parts of Bubba Ho-Tep and here and there on some other things, the audio makes that noise. Even at a lower volume.
Old 06-09-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mzupeman2
Well, eluminate me here. What do you mean by 'clipping'. I mean, I only listen to it at about -30 dB... not too bad of a volume for watching most stuff when you're still living at home and have a system like this in your bedroom. As I said, this 'hiss' during some of the dialogue, doesn't happen to every movie, only some certain ones. It's a pretty damn good system for the most part. But I notice watching the latest Buffy set and parts of Bubba Ho-Tep and here and there on some other things, the audio makes that noise. Even at a lower volume.
Clipping is when you overdrive your amplifier. If the amp cannot deliver enough power to the speaker the waveform "clips" or chops off the top of the soundwave. When this happens it damages the speaker. The hiss is system noise coming from the components of your system. Since they are all combined in one box there is probably some noise in the signal path. All electronic equipment has it and it takes higher quality engineering and parts to reduce it.

Looking at the specs

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MjX1gyn...o&i=133SCHT920

the amp is rated at 1% thd or total harmonic distortion. That is extremely high when comapred to higher quality equipment. Also the frequency response on all of the speakers is very poor and considering that the center channel does most of the work in a home theater you are asking alot.

If the hissing is happening during certain movies it could be the disc itself and the mastering that went on. I don't doubt that it is a good system and that you are happy. You have simply begun to reach that place that all "tweaks" reach; the point that you realize that there may be something better to upgrade too!

Good luck!
Old 06-09-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks for all your info
Old 06-09-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No problem.

One thing you could try is to rebalance the system with the internal tones. Once done try not to use the tone controls at all, ie., keep them flat. Turn off any bass boost etc and try any different soundfields that you have. Some of the soundfields might have unusual sound curves that are making the noise worse.
Old 06-09-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
No problem.

One thing you could try is to rebalance the system with the internal tones. Once done try not to use the tone controls at all, ie., keep them flat. Turn off any bass boost etc and try any different soundfields that you have. Some of the soundfields might have unusual sound curves that are making the noise worse.
I wouldn't have any idea how to do that, lol.
Old 06-10-04, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mzupeman2
I wouldn't have any idea how to do that, lol.
Hmm

Well I would start with the manual and setup the system properly. After that if you still have issues with the sound then you should post again.

Good luck!