Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS2 and Wireless Online Gaming Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-04, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PS2 and Wireless Online Gaming Question

Let me preface this with saying that I currently have an XBOX using the XBOX Wireless Adapter and a Linksys Router. I finally got all the firmware updated on the Wireless Adapter and it's working fine with my network.

Now the new stuff.... I am thinking of getting a PS2 system as well for my home. Where I am going to put the PS2 will be too far away to do a wired connection to my network. Instead of having to re-buy another wireless bridge, can I just swap out the MS Wireless one from my XBOX and use it on the PS2? All of the correctly working settings are saved on the adapter so it wouldn't need to have any data be written to it like the XBOX does when you initially configure it.

Has anyone used the MS Wireless adapter on the PS2 as well and had good results, or is this totally impossible and could cause damage to a PS2?
Old 06-09-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Connecting the Xbox Wireless Adapter to your PS2 is NOT going to damage your PS2. There is 0% chance of that happending. So let's get that out of the way first.

Will it work? Maybe. Some people have said it doesn't work with a PS2, only with an Xbox. But it won't hurt for you to try it and see for yourself.

For future reference, if you knew in advance that you wanted to use one wireless adapter with multiple game systems, it probably would have been a good idea to get a Linksys wireless bridge for that purpose, instead of the Xbox wireless adapter.
Old 06-09-04, 03:31 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It should work. From what I understand, the Xbox is only needed to configure the adapter (which you have done and can do since you have an Xbox).

BTW, Linksys bridges suck, particularly the G models. The MAC masquerading-type bridges in general are not very reliable, and that is all that Linksys makes/supports. You are much better off with a router and bridge that supports WDS bridging, such as the Buffalo WBR-G54. There is 3rd-party firmware for the Linksys WRT54G/GS that supports WDS bridging, but it does not perform as well as the Buffalo's. (This is from the perspective of streaming large video wirelessly on your LAN without skipping etc. If all you do is play games over the Internet, then it would be fine.).
Old 06-10-04, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never thought about getting a PS2 until earlier this week. Was talking to some folks at work and thought, what the heck, maybe. That's why I bought the XBOX adapter when I initially got into online gaming.

Thanks for all of your replies.
Old 07-12-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
I know this was a while ago... but did this work? The Xbox wireless adapter working with the PS2, that is...
Old 07-14-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still don't know, haven't had the cash to get the PS2 yet. However, on an unrelated note, I did score with the recent $5 game deal at Circuit City.
Old 07-14-04, 09:52 AM

I have the xbox wireless adapter plugged into a cheap 4 port switch. the PS2 and Xbox are plugged into the switch. It works.

I got the switch for VERY cheap at a computer show. :-)
Old 07-14-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by njchris
I have the xbox wireless adapter plugged into a cheap 4 port switch. the PS2 and Xbox are plugged into the switch. It works.

I got the switch for VERY cheap at a computer show. :-)
Great!

Then I shouldn't have any problems when I have some cash for the PS2.

Thanks njchris!