Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone heard anything about Entourage on HBO?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-04, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been seeing the promos all week. They are promoting it as a comedy but it looks more like an OC type of show.

[Homer]mmmmmmmm OC with nudity [/Homer]

Anyone know if it's supposed to be any good?
Old 06-09-04, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
kind of looking forward to this one as well. well, another big teen show that starts next monday is "north shore" on fox.
Old 06-09-04, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I know is that Adrian Grenier is in it (he gives me the hot).

When does it start?
Old 06-09-04, 04:12 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I've only seen the promos as well. I'm way past tired of that Jet song already though.
Old 06-09-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
I've only seen the promos as well. I'm way past tired of that Jet song already though.
well, now get used to "cold hard bitch" or "look at what youve done" as next big singels
Old 06-09-04, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

looks kinda cool... i'll check it out
Old 06-10-04, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
for those wondering, it starts airing in mid-July from what I can tell.

Last edited by djbrown; 06-10-04 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-10-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
well, another big teen show that starts next monday is "north shore" on fox.
Named after the big lesbian beach in Delware?
Old 07-11-04, 09:22 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
EW just gave this an excellent rating for the show.

It premieres next Sunday

As a profane peek into current showbiz, Entourage is excellent, dirty fun. One of those fictional looks at the industry that mixes characters with stars playing themselves, ''Entourage'' is like Robert Altman's ''The Player'' for wannabes. It's about Vince (Adrian Grenier), an up-and-coming actor-hottie from Queens, and the chums he brings with him to L.A. to, y'know, keep him real. This entourage of buddies comprises both friends and leeches. There's Vince's half brother, Drama (Kevin Dillon), a lower-level actor -- his biggest credit is that he was fired from ''Melrose Place'' -- who is always trying to score work from people who really want to be in business with Vince. There's Turtle (Jerry Ferrara), the knucklehead gofer who's in it for the chicks and the weed. And there's Eric (Kevin Connolly), the smartest and most sincere of the bunch, whom Vince relies on as his unofficial manager to vet scripts and guide his career.

Eric butts heads with Vince's agent, Ari, played with furnace-blast vulgarity by Jeremy Piven (''Old School''). Ari's the kind of philistine who dismisses ''Lost in Translation'' by saying ''It didn't really capture the place -- [Tokyo] is twice as boring in real life.''

''Entourage'''s executive producer is Mark Wahlberg, who knows, especially from his Marky Mark days, how hangers-on behave, and the ambivalence they have toward the guy who's the center of attention. He and writers like creator Doug Ellin (''Life With Bonnie'') and Larry Charles (''Seinfeld'') are terrific at conveying the way Hollywood life is a swirl of star spotting, deal hustling, and endless car driving.

Each ''Entourage'' is just a half hour, packed firm with laughs -- at its best, it's a sitcom that works as a critique of the industry. Dillon (brother of Matt, and a man who doubtlessly knows about living in the shadow of greater fame) plays Drama as an only slightly smarter version of Matt LeBlanc's Joey. When the guys blast ''Guiding Light'' as an unworthy career option for Vince, Drama sputters, ''Hey, I'm up for a soap opera!'' and Turtle actually apologizes. It's a tough town, and any job, however theoretical, is to be respected. The show is superbly cast -- Dillon and Piven are the series' breakouts, with ''The O.C'''s Samaire Armstrong (as Piven's sweet assistant) and Debi Mazar (as Vince's brutally cynical publicist) not far behind. All this, plus Sarah Silverman, playing herself, rebuffing a slimy come-on from Piven's Ari by exclaiming reproachfully, ''I take Krav Maga with your wife!''

As Drama might say, that's cold, man. Grade: A-
Old 07-11-04, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds as if it's definitely worth checking out!
Old 07-12-04, 12:05 AM

Mark Whalberg is executive producer and this makes me wary since I question his artistic taste due to the roles he takes, but I also count on the fact that HBO knows what they are doing more than anybody. It looks like it could be good although it is confusing that they are promoting it as a comedy yet it looks completely like a drama with humourous characters.

Either way, if you want comedy, just don't change the channel and stick around for Da Ali G show right after. Been waiting forever for the secon season. Ali G and Borat are the funniest things I have ever seen.