Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stander

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Stander

This film looks pretty cool, the premise makes me want to see it all the more, I like the idea of being on both sides.

Trailer

Premise

Last edited by Rival11; 06-07-04 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-07-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a litte more info direct from the site:

STANDER is the gripping true story of the life of Andre Stander, the youngest Captain in the Johannesburg Police Force and South Africa’s most notorious bank robber.

Portrayed by Tom Jane (The Punisher, 61*) in a mercurial, star-turn performance, Andre Stander is a young, white policeman enjoying the comforts of middle-class married life in late-1970s South Africa, a country riven by Apartheid. Deeply affected by the indiscriminate killing he witnesses and takes part in during Riot Patrol, Stander wordlessly makes a decision to defy the very system he has spent a lifetime enforcing. Stander’s form of civil disobedience, however, takes an unusual form: a series of audacious, high-flying bank robberies, with the young police officer oftentimes returning to the scene of the crime as the lead investigating officer.

Finally apprehended by his colleagues, Stander is jailed and subsequently befriends outlaws Allan Heyl and Lee McCall. Following a daring prison break, the “Stander Gang” commits dozens of bank robberies across the country, heists that grow increasingly bolder over time. In the eyes of the public, the Stander Gang’s nose-thumbing disrespect for authority makes them into near-legendary folk heroes, modern-day equivalents of Bonnie & Clyde. To the South African government, however, the former police officer is a cause of embarrassment, and the Stander Gang are the most wanted men in the country.

Equal parts heist movie, love story, and historically accurate indictment of a corrupt political institution (on the tenth anniversary of Apartheid’s end), STANDER is the most riveting, uncanny biopic in recent memory.

Filmed entirely on location in South Africa, STANDER is directed by Bronwen Hughes (Forces of Nature, Harriet The Spy), and co-stars Dexter Fletcher (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels), David Patrick O’Hara (Braveheart, The Devil’s Own), and Deborah Kara Unger (Crash, The Hurricane, The Game) as Andre Stander’s wife.
Old 06-07-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Jeffrey Wells talked this up quite a bit in his www.moviepoopshoot.com column a few months ago and he piqued my interest in it.
Old 06-07-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by B.A.
Jeffrey Wells talked this up quite a bit in his www.moviepoopshoot.com column a few months ago and he piqued my interest in it.
Couldn't find the write up but it's cool that there is some positive buzz going around.
Old 09-02-04, 10:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
now what the hell happened to the national roll out of this film? EW gave it a rating of "A" and then it just got kind of lost in transit? what gives??
Old 09-02-04, 10:41 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
now what the hell happened to the national roll out of this film? EW gave it a rating of "A" and then it just got kind of lost in transit? what gives??
I believe Newmarket got cold feet when the early grosses didn't pan out.

Damn good movie too... what a shame.
Old 09-03-04, 08:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by scott shelton
I believe Newmarket got cold feet when the early grosses didn't pan out.

Damn good movie too... what a shame.
I'm shooting myself in the foot by saying I wish I had seen the sneak preview of this (damn it!). I personally hate the way Newmarket releases their films, if you're not going to release theatrically (you base an opinion on a very few theatres gross intake and give up. come on?) then just release the film quickly onto video. I hope Newmarket pictures goes belly up for this, they are gonna learn the hard way that if you just don't release a film in the major market cities all at once and give a film a chance, I thought the whole film business was making a much money as possible, this type of chincing out does more harm than good IMO.