Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Biggest Music Mistakes (aka: what took you so long)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mines is the fact that I waited so long to get into and appreciate A Perfect Circle. 3 Libras off their first album Mar De Noms has been one of my favorite songs since around 2002. The video played at the same time (around 3 am) on MTV for about a week in which the song woke me up at least 3 times. I instantly downloaded the song and have loved it ever since.I usually look more into bands after I hear several of their songs I like or one really good one (like 3 Libras). This time;however I didnt. When there new album 13th step came out everyone on this site sung its praises but I still didnt do anything about it. Next my sister buys 13th Step and I burn it. Both of us leave the cd collecting dust for about 4/5 months only listening to it once or twice. Finally I decide to listen to it around late April again and WOW. The last 2 1/2 months I have grown more and more in love with the album, each day I seem to have a new favorite song as this is definitely an instant classic. I wish I woulda got into them as soon as I heard 3 Libras but better late than never. Unfortunately theyve came and gone in concert in my area (Detroit).
Old 06-03-04, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It took me many more years than it should have to get into Radiohead. Unfortunately earlier on I wrote them off based on Creep and Pablo Honey. Now they are one of my favorite bands.
Old 06-03-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

realizing that built to spill is in fact, an excellent band took me forever. i don't know why. maybe they were too "noisy" for me a few years ago. maybe i'm getting older and appreciate extended jams more.
Old 06-03-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thinking that Ryan Adams would sound like Bryan Adams. Love is Hell is one of my favorite albums right now.
Old 06-04-04, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,147 Posts
It took me 20 + years to realize KISS sucks. But it's been so long they'll always be close to my heart.
Old 06-04-04, 06:31 AM

It took me a number of years to realize how good the Beastie Boys were. I thought of them as the "fight for your right to party" rappers for years, not realizing how much talent they had (have).
Old 06-04-04, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Ergyu
It took me many more years than it should have to get into Radiohead. Unfortunately earlier on I wrote them off based on Creep and Pablo Honey. Now they are one of my favorite bands.
Ditto. 'Cept for me I wrote them off after "The Bends". I know this will sound insane to some fans, but I didn't and still don't quite get into that recording. A friend who has great music taste told me in 2000 how wonderful "Ok Computer" was. I kind of looked at him in disbelief. Yeah, THREE years after it was released and I totally ignored whatever was going on with Radiohead. I can still see why I blew them off a decade ago, but I'm very happy to have finally picked up their releases. I might have figured out how awesome they were on my own with all the press surrounding "Kid A" and beyond, but there definitely was some initial shock realizing they were pretty damn great.
Old 06-04-04, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It wasn't until long after Sugar ceased to be that I became a big fan. My wife always knew their stuff and I picked up Copper Blue in a bargain bin and kicked myself for not listening sooner.
Old 06-04-04, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Biggest mistake. Not getting into rock(modern, classic, 80's metal, prog, pretty much any) sooner. Before I graduated high school ('94) I listed to pop, R&B, some rap, and anything that isn't popular after 6 months time. What a waste of money.

Rock on!
Old 06-04-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Caoimhin
It wasn't until long after Sugar ceased to be that I became a big fan. My wife always knew their stuff and I picked up Copper Blue in a bargain bin and kicked myself for not listening sooner.
Very underrated band.
Old 06-04-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Chrisedge
Very underrated band.
Kind of the same thing here, only with Mould's earlier band, Husker Du. Kept getting told by people that I would like them, but never really gave them a chance. Took me years to get into them, long after they had broken up. Personally I like them much more than Sugar.
Old 06-04-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It took me a year to realize how friggin' incredible
30 Seconds to Mars is, now they are my favorite band.
Old 06-04-04, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,792 Likes on 1,921 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
It took me 20 + years to realize KISS sucks. But it's been so long they'll always be close to my heart.
1970s KISS is kitschy fun.

I don't think they officially sucked until it became the Gene'n'Paul show in the early 80s. Or maybe the suckage started with "The Elder."
Old 06-04-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, I got a few.

Buying so many plane/train tickets for me and 3 friends to follow a band around only to have them cancel the tour at the last minute.

Waiting so long to see the Black Halos and the White Stripes. Could've seen the White Stripes several times in a small club, but never did. Too lazy. Plus they were playing Sunday nights which makes it hard on Monday mornings at work.

Passing up about 3-4 chances to see Nirvana before they broke big. I did see them twice before Nevermind came out, but could've seen them a few more times. And I even passed the chance to see them a few more times after they broke. In all though, I did see them in a small club, in a medium sized club and in an arena, but it would've been nice to see them more times considering how great a live band they were.
Old 06-04-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Never seeing Nirvana/Alice In Chains/Elliot Smith/Jeff Buckley/Tupac/Biggie/etc., etc., etc.
Old 06-04-04, 02:38 PM

Felt and Modest Mouse

I only got into both of them, recently. I really dig both bands; Felt has been around since the 70's and Modest Mouse has had like 4-5, or more, albums out.
Old 06-04-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,147 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
1970s KISS is kitschy fun.

I don't think they officially sucked until it became the Gene'n'Paul show in the early 80s. Or maybe the suckage started with "The Elder."

Yeah, I think you're right.
Old 06-04-04, 03:01 PM
Suspended

Taking music too seriously.
Old 06-04-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would have really liked to have seen Rage back in the day...preferably on the Evil Empire tour. Never got to see them, and now the more and more that I listen to them I regret it.
Old 06-05-04, 04:43 AM

At the Drive-In ... man what I would have given to see them with RATM and the Beastie Boys back in 2000. Didn't even get into them until 2002, either.
Old 06-05-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Thinking the Bee Gees were just a disco group