Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Martian Chronicles (mini-series) coming 8/10.

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-04, 10:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1590

The Martian Chronicles, the landmark sci-fi event that was lensed in 1979 and first shown on television in January 1980, is now a stunning two disc set! Starring Rock Hudson, Roddy McDowall, Darren McGavin, Barry Morse, and Bernadette Peters, this exciting and timely 6-hour epic based on the Ray Bradbury novel follows the first settlers of Mars, as they discover the shocking secrets of the red planet!

Touching down on August 10th, this comes in the original full screen format it was broadcast in, with original English Mono sound. Subtitles are in English, French, and Spanish, and the running time sans commercials is 293 minutes. The price for this clocks in at $19.98 SRP, and it looks like there are no extras.

I remember catching a little bit of this on TV back in 1980 when my dad was watching it. Strange show. All I remember is
Spoiler:
that the Martian civilization had some strange triangular buildings and the martians were tall lanky silent dudes

Shame though that the sound is only Mono instead of at least Dolby 2.0, but with a SRP of under $20, I can see this going for about $13-14 discount price. My dad will probably like this release. He's asked about it before (if it was on DVD.)

Last edited by Mike Lowrey; 05-29-04 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-29-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I may pick this up...I remember watching it years ago. Not sure how much it will retain it's replay value for me but I may give it a shot.
Old 05-29-04, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally posted by djones6746
I may pick this up...I remember watching it years ago. Not sure how much it will retain it's replay value for me but I may give it a shot.
Well for a 6+ hour mini-series for less than $20, you can't hardly go wrong.
Old 05-29-04, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
It's not bad, and parts of it are faithfull to the book- especially the first part, where the astronauts land on Mars.

Wasn't there talk of a trilogy movie series? This could be a great vehicle for someone like Tim Burton.
Old 05-29-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
Well for a 6+ hour mini-series for less than $20, you can't hardly go wrong.
Very true!!! Worst case scenario....I pay around $14.00 shipped from DDD and sell for $10.00. No worse than a rental fee. I do remember liking this show so I may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 05-29-04, 07:58 PM
Banned

Just caught this on sci-fi not too long ago....while it is somewhat faithfull to the books, it really drags.
Old 05-29-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
No question about it - I'll grab this one right away, and can retire my worn VHS tapes.