Why the pass on Sinbad?

Community
Search

Why the pass on Sinbad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-04, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why the pass on Sinbad?

Yeah, we're talking cartoons, my apologies, but this pass irked my crank.

Seems the critics (aside from Roger Ebert) panned this little 'Disney Killer' from Dreamworks, and as of last night I hadn't heard of it other than a few commercials..... and it's two week run at the theater. Seemed a kiddy flick, so I ignored it.

65" Pioneer HDTV, progressive scan, 10K plus in sound system. That's the set-up. 'Sinbad: Legend of the seven seas' was hardly cerebral, but man, the animation and art direction was some of the most fluid and gorgeous stuff I've seen lately.

Following the battles as Sinbad and crew flew thorugh ship riggings was like strapping a 'sky cam' to a drunk circus acrobat. When that white bird thing flapped his wings, the subs hit subsonic and shook the house. All the colors and CGI detail blended perfectly. Somebody seriously spent some time on this one post production. No stupid, cutesy side-kicks either and some good old fashioned chivalry for plot, but hey, what do I know. That's no match for flatulent Ogre's, Warthogs, and Eddie Murphy as a donkey. Somebody at Dream Works shows a little vision and imagination, and gets kicked for it. 'Least Ebert liked it though....maybe somebody else here did as well..
Old 05-28-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He was great in "Houseguest." That much, I'll give you!
Old 05-28-04, 11:35 PM

I rest my case.
Old 05-28-04, 11:56 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I liked Sinbad at the theater. But there wasn't enough great scenes like there were in some of their other pictures. I liked Spirit, the horse movie , which Dreamworks put out better as well as their other pics like El Dorado.
Old 05-29-04, 02:11 AM

I think-- like El Dorado-- it's a very visually stunning movie, but you don't need to see it more than once.