Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Professional ISF Calibration?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-04, 01:28 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious how many of you have had a professional ISF calibration done on your HT. And, more importantly, how did you convince your wife that this purchase (investment) was necessary?

I have struggled through Avia/DVE and don't have the patience for it and never like my results anyway. I always end off with going back to default, which as we all know, is BAD (abnormally high contrast, etc).

I found a local ISF calibrator which will do this to the tune of $400. My HT consists of a Samsung HLN4365W (43" Sammy DLP) and a new DVB318 (1080i DVD Player) plus HD Cable. He would tune each input to the source attached to it and a whole bunch of other things. Let me know what you think...
Old 05-28-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Just my .02

I thought about this idea when I built my theater. I researched and found that many people that have had an ISF calibration were unhappy with the results.

I decided to calibrate mine the best I could with VE and see how I liked it. If I do say so I am pleased with my picture and have never given it a second thought. Maybe when bulb replacement time comes for my projector I may revisit the idea.

Good luck!
Old 05-28-04, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Just my .02

I thought about this idea when I built my theater. I researched and found that many people that have had an ISF calibration were unhappy with the results.
In what way are those typically unhappy?

I haven't done much research into it but was thinking when we move and upgrade to a HDTV that I might go the ISF route.
Old 05-28-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm with Brian. The problem is that most people aren't USED to seeing a properly calibrated set, and often times they do not like it. A good quick fix would be to turn down the picture setting, keep the brightness about 60% and the other settings about 50%. That's a pretty decent picture.
Old 05-28-04, 05:13 PM

I had an ISF calibrator perform a calibration of my Toshiba 40h81 set (rear projection) earlier this year for $500. I'm not familiar with the differences for calibrating a DLP.

He had specialized equipment that allowed measurements and adjustments beyond Avia/VE. Although you can tweak your brightness and contrast with Avia/VE, the calibrator will be able to adjust the color temperature across the entire contrast/brightness spectrum. This can make a big difference in your viewing pleasure (i.e. make your blacks really look black instead of grey or pixelated).

He also was able to generate a HD signal to calibrate the HD inputs to the set.

He also adjusted the overscan and the focusing (mechanical and electrical) which I could have done with some effort but he did rather effortlessly. He cleaned the lenses and moved my protective screen.

I'm not married, so no wife factor.

When done, the picture actually does not look as bright. But it does look more REALISTIC. The facial colors, the blues of the sky and greens of the trees on the screen are closer to reality (look out the window). So if you have cranked your contrast back up because you didn't like the lower setting, I'm betting that you won't like the results of the ISF calibration. You may have to re-calibrate what you think is a good picture before you spend the money on the ISF calibration.

An ISF calibrator may also be able to give you ideas about lighting in your viewing room which may enhance your enjoyment.

Would I do it again? I don't know. It was pretty expensive but the picture was beautiful when he was done. They will do a "checkup" every year for $200. I don't know if I'm enough of a video-snob (I say that with love) to justify that kind of money. But I'm glad I did it once to know what I'll get and what kind of results to expect.

I found my ISF calibrator on Home Theater Spot (www.hometheaterspot.com) which is a good place to gather knowledge. I called a local guy and was not pleased with the attitude so I went with the reputation of this guy on the website.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your setup!
Old 05-28-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by abintra
In what way are those typically unhappy?

I haven't done much research into it but was thinking when we move and upgrade to a HDTV that I might go the ISF route.
The other posts are on target. Generally speaking a properly calibrated picture will be darker. Room light is a big factor. When all is said and done you cannot simply turn up the brightness or contrast a little bit.
Old 05-28-04, 05:53 PM

Here's a recent thread at Home Theater SPOT.

There have been a number of similar posts throughout the years if you dig for them. I personally haven't done it yet, but I definitely plan on it!
Old 05-28-04, 08:33 PM
Cool New Member

I think I'm going to hold off and just do my best with Avia/DVE. After seeing how crazy your HT is, I simply cant justify it for mine. If anyone is interested and in the NY area, this is the guy I was going to use. He was very prompt with emails and seems to be highly recommended.

ISFTV

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Just my .02

I decided to calibrate mine the best I could with VE and see how I liked it. If I do say so I am pleased with my picture and have never given it a second thought. Maybe when bulb replacement time comes for my projector I may revisit the idea.

Good luck!
Old 05-29-04, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks

Enjoy your viewing!