Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

"Trainspotting" SE...is it the definitive edition on 6.01.04?

Old 05-27-04, 03:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Can anyone confirm or deny that this new edition coming out on Tuesday is the same as the Definitive Editions that our other region (R4) friends have enjoyed for awhile now?

Same additional movie content? Same extra features? Is it DTS?

Thanks for anyone with help. I so want this if it is and can't find reviews as of yet.
Old 05-27-04, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new Trainspotting SE is identical to this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...604317-3398868

in every respect (DTS, menus, everything) except for three minor things:

1) The R1 release does not allow you to watch the film with the deleted scenes inserted in via seamless branching.

2) The R1 release moves the "Making Of" featurette onto the second disc, presumably to make more room for the movie (the R2 release had the featurette on the first disc).

3) The R2 came with a booklet that included a reprint of Irvine Welsh's essay about the movie, originally written for the Criterion laserdisc. The R1 insert is just a simple chapter listing.

I also like the R2 orange cover better. But that's just me.

Last edited by Rusty James; 05-27-04 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-27-04, 03:22 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awesome, been holding out on this release for years.
Old 05-27-04, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by Rusty James
1) The R1 release does not allow you to watch the film with the deleted scenes inserted in via seamless branching.
awesome, thanks for the info.

But then how come the playing time (94 minutes) seems to be the same on those other region versions as it does for the R1 (at least from a couple of sites I see the time listed for R1)?
Old 05-27-04, 03:36 PM
Banned

Originally posted by scott1598
But then how come the playing time (94 minutes) seems to be the same on those other region versions as it does for the R1 (at least from a couple of sites I see the time listed for R1)?
Not sure I understand your question. Why would the run time be any different?
Old 05-27-04, 03:39 PM

if the other regions have the seamless branching w/ extra footage wouldn't the run time be longer than the R1?
Old 05-27-04, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally posted by scott1598
if the other regions have the seamless branching w/ extra footage wouldn't the run time be longer than the R1?
Oh, I see what you mean. Well, I can't speak for other regions, but if you click on the link I used above, you'll see that version lists a running time of 110 minutes. So I guess that accounts for the deleted footage. It's possible the branching feature is an R2 exclusive, but that's just a guess. Not sure why the R1 wouldn't include it.
Old 05-27-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

where's the best place to get the R2 version?
Old 05-27-04, 03:58 PM

that's kind of a bummer. now i question whether to get the R1 or go for the seamless R4 DE..leaning towards R4 though a little regretfully. Oh well, can't win em all!
Old 05-27-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Didn't the R2 DVD have a full-bitrate DTS track? Anyone know if the R1 release is the same?
Old 05-28-04, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Must... get... this... DVD
Old 06-02-04, 11:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
what's interesting about this version is that even though many have stated that this is indeed the complete cut of the film, it still carries an R-rating. And... according to the MPAA rating's website, this version looks like it was resubmitted and even though previousily deleted NC-17 content footage has been reinstated, the MPAA was lenient and gave it an R-rating. Any word on the dubbing, original Scotish accent is retained for this new edition?
Old 06-02-04, 11:59 AM

I watched it last night and I also have the Criterion Edition as well. There is no dubbing on the more "Scottish" terms. Good way to check is during his detox scene with the dead, crawling baby. He talks about the sickness coming and that "it's in the post". American version had it as "it's in the mail."

I noticed that the menu system said the Definitive Edition #1. Also, they used the exact same blurb from the back of the old DVD. It has to be one if the best summaries. I'm paraphrasing, but it goes along the lines of "It's the story of five guys trying to live life on their terms and plotting the ultimate scam." Fun for the whole family!!

I love the new reasons for the R rating, Graphic Heroin use and ensuing depravitiy.

Hey, they're just trying to live on their own terms!
Old 06-02-04, 12:03 PM

Glad I have the R2! I may pick this up but only if it's cheap. Thanks for the info, Rusty James!
Old 06-02-04, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Giles
what's interesting about this version is that even though many have stated that this is indeed the complete cut of the film, it still carries an R-rating. And... according to the MPAA rating's website, this version looks like it was resubmitted and even though previousily deleted NC-17 content footage has been reinstated, the MPAA was lenient and gave it an R-rating. Any word on the dubbing, original Scotish accent is retained for this new edition?
I've heard in interviews that Miramax, Wienstiens in particular, have always been on good terms with the MPAA. Which could be one of the reasons pretty much all the Dir. Cuts/Uncut Versions of film that get resubmited for a DVD rating come back with a R. Even if they previously got NC-17.

My only question is, and I know it's probably been covered but not in this thread... How's it compare to the Criterion Edition?
Old 06-02-04, 02:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by mikewendt

My only question is, and I know it's probably been covered but not in this thread... How's it compare to the Criterion Edition?
I have the Criterion edition. Laserdisc has the commentary, Nine deleted scenes with commentary, Video interview with Irvine Welsh, Inside the laserdisc cover has exclusive liner notes by Irvine Welsh and an insert including his glossary of terms.

Last edited by Giles; 06-02-04 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The R1 version even says The Definitive Version #1 in the main menu.
Old 06-06-04, 04:50 PM
Cool New Member

Just bought the R1 "Definitive Edition." Does anyone else think it's shit? (sorry: shite)

I previously owned the Canadian release, and wish I hadn't sold it so I could now compare the two transfers.

On the plus side, the new one is anamorphic (though the old transfer never bothered me, because I could zoom it to fill my widescreen TV with no apparent loss of detail)

On the very bad side: The new transfer is much too dark (or at least darker than I remember it ever being). Anyone else think this?

I feel short-changed on the extras, too. The "Making of" is probably 10 minutes long, the retrospective interviews aren't much longer (and take forever to get through because there isn't a "play all" feature).

The "Cannes" footage -- which I hoped would be comparable to the Cannes stuff on the Pulp Fiction disc or the Dogville R0 set -- is shamefully bad. Martin Landau????

My feeling: If you have the Canadian release with the deleted scenes -- don't replace it.
Old 06-06-04, 05:01 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. The new R1 release has all that the old non-anamorphic Canadian release had, but with more extras and a MUCH better transfer.

It's not that the new transfer (which is EXCELLENT) is too dark - it's that all previous home video transfers have been far far too bright. The shadow detail is amazing. I couldn't believe how great this transfer looked.

I do wish they had allowed the deleted scenes to be viewed via seamless branching, but I don't know if they really add to the film much anyway.

I haven't listened to the commentary yet - is it in fact the same one that was on the Criterion LD?
Old 06-07-04, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by steebo777
The R1 version even says The Definitive Version #1 in the main menu.
Disc 2 says The Definitive Version #2
Old 06-07-04, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by JONA99

My feeling: If you have the Canadian release with the deleted scenes -- don't replace it. [/B]

Unless you prefer the non-edited version of the film which the Canadian release is not.
Old 06-07-04, 08:49 AM

Location: on the warhead of a Topol-M ready for a long journey
Has anybody compared the transfers of R1 and UK R2?
Old 06-07-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In all seriousness, I've never seen this, is it a good blind buy?
Old 06-07-04, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Thunderball
In all seriousness, I've never seen this, is it a good blind buy?
Yup. Excellent film.
Old 06-07-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have to disagree with the above about a "bad" transfer... It looks great, sounds great. The extras are so-so, but the film presentation is top notch.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.