Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Never catching up?! (DVD Collections...)

Old 05-25-04, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently I noticed the amount of dvds I needed to watch seemed to be increasing dramatically.

I decided to use DVDProfilers "Loaned" feature to filter the dvds I have not watched yet. To my horror, I have around 200 dvds that I haven't watched. While these aren't necessarily movies I have not watched, they are still dvds that I have bought and not watched.

I decided a few weeks ago to slow down to only new releases, while I catch up some, unless a title I want is on sale.

So is anyone else in this position? I don't see me catching up for a long time. The funny thing is, maybe 6 months ago I think I only had about 20 titles that I hadn't watched yet.
Old 05-25-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow 200. you have more unwatched titles than I have dvds

I noticed I was starting to get backlogged so now only buy shows I know I will watch straightaway (unless they are cheap ie 2nd hand).

I have about 6 unwatched dvds so will wait till I see them before buying some more.
Old 05-25-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How did you get to "DVD Talk Special Edition" without learning how to use the Search button?

Old 05-25-04, 08:21 PM

If you think you have problems, go look at pictures of my collection
Why are disturbed at only 200?
Austin
Old 05-25-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by talemyn
How did you get to "DVD Talk Special Edition" without learning how to use the Search button?

Bite me.

Like a new thread would kill you. It is not like I was asking a question about a specific title or anything.
Old 05-25-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish I only had 200 that I haven't watched. I'm just trying to tread water at the 50% mark right now. Roughly ~350 titles I haven't seen.

Don't Fret! I don't feel one bit of remorse for not viewing all those DVD's. I like having an abundance of movies to choose from when I actually get a chance to watch a movie. In addition, I'm not waiting by the mailbox for the deliveries to come from the on-line stores. I could care less if DDD or Amazon doesn't send me my DVD's on time. I could care even less if a canadian e-tailer takes 2 weeks to get my dvd's to me.

Someday I'll get to the 60% mark and that will be a small victory
Old 05-25-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
I just counted tonight. I'm at 120 unwatched.
Old 05-25-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Somewhere around 25-30 for me. I'm desperately trying to catch up. We're averaging 4-5 a week and I'm trying to not buy much until I get caught up. So far, it's working. It's been about two weeks since my last purchase.
Old 05-25-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Austin54
If you think you have problems, go look at pictures of my collection
Why are disturbed at only 200?
Austin
So you actually broke down and took pics of your collection? Where can I see?
Old 05-25-04, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

unwatched dvds....I just dont get it. I watch everything I get within the warrenty period because of the industry's love affair with defects. I usually viddey 2 films a night(my way of relaxing my beat-up body) and have no problem watching the 10 or so I buy every week plus continue my rotation cycle of older titles. all this while working 50+ hours a week running my company. I'm sure it helps that I've stopped going to theaters, bars and raising various hell like I did when I was just a punk. after taking the wife out for dinner....it's usually films all night long......

Last edited by gutwrencher; 05-25-04 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-25-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ElementZ
So you actually broke down and took pics of your collection? Where can I see?
Right here. I'm actually a little more disturbed he was telling the truth. I love films, but I don't think I could live like that or even get myself into the position where I had to organize that many unwatched titles.
Old 05-25-04, 11:58 PM

Originally posted by Al Padrino
I love films, but I don't think I could live like that or even get myself into the position where I had to organize that many unwatched titles.
that collection, that huge mountain of dvds/films...is like a puppy at the animal rescue. it needs to go to a good home, or various good homes where it will be loved properly and loved pound for pound...title by title. he's doing the right thing by selling the titles. he can send me any of the Italian giallo and horror titles that I dont have. he'd have those...right?

with that collection....he better have some good stuff.
Old 05-26-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I definately have more TV show sets unwatched than movies unwatched, and it's only getting worse. Some shows I refuse to buy any more season sets for until I catch up, but there are also sets I can get good prices on the first week they come out, so I buy them even though I may have a season or two to catch up on.
Old 05-26-04, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

302 dvds and 22 box sets and counting. It's going to get worse. In the next two months or so, there are around 10 box sets that I want to get. I like to get them in the first couple of weeks, because they don't stay on sale for long. They do get watched eventually. They are not going anywhere.
Old 05-26-04, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Numes
I wish I only had 200 that I haven't watched. I'm just trying to tread water at the 50% mark right now. Roughly ~350 titles I haven't seen.

Don't Fret! I don't feel one bit of remorse for not viewing all those DVD's. I like having an abundance of movies to choose from when I actually get a chance to watch a movie. In addition, I'm not waiting by the mailbox for the deliveries to come from the on-line stores. I could care less if DDD or Amazon doesn't send me my DVD's on time. I could care even less if a canadian e-tailer takes 2 weeks to get my dvd's to me.

Someday I'll get to the 60% mark and that will be a small victory
I never thought of it like that. It is pretty nice to have a large selection of new movies to pick from whenever I want to watch something. I definitely care less if an order ships on time since I have so much I need to watch anyway.
Old 05-26-04, 06:39 AM

I'm sure most people won't admit to this, but to some extent it's the thrill of the buy. Once you own it, it's just not as exciting, so it sits there.
Old 05-26-04, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by John-In-VA
I'm sure most people won't admit to this, but to some extent it's the thrill of the buy. Once you own it, it's just not as exciting, so it sits there.
I can understand that. But, for me it is mostly because I see something I want to watch, so I buy it. There just happens to be a lot I want to watch.
Old 05-26-04, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
I definately have more TV show sets unwatched than movies unwatched, and it's only getting worse. Some shows I refuse to buy any more season sets for until I catch up, but there are also sets I can get good prices on the first week they come out, so I buy them even though I may have a season or two to catch up on.
I haven't found very many DVD's that were cheaper the first week they came out than when I pre-ordered them. Especially B&M. I'm a little biased because I do order through Columbia House, so it's hard to find a place that is cheaper for non-box sets.

As for box sets, I have rarely seen the price on the first week less than the pre-order price.

This is one of the reasons I have so many unwatched DVD's! I convince myself that I am buying the DVD at the cheapest price, so I go ahead and get it now instead of buying it when I can actually watch it
Old 05-26-04, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
That's the only thing that bugs me about buying stuff, then not watching it for a while. Sometimes I know I'll watch itand enjoy it, but I just have to get in the right mood. But if I buy something for 25 bucks, then in three months it's 10 bucks on the shelf, or a better double dip comes out, I kick myself. I know technology prices always drop, and if it's over a year or so I can deal with it.
A lot of my unwatched are box sets/tv series, simply because there's so much on there and I don't want to overdose on it. Plus with a little one running around the house, I have less time to watch dvd's. But I'm also buying a lot less over the past 6 months, unless there's a release I absolutely *have* to have [which I think there's only one, in the near future], or if it's such a good deal I can't pass it up.
Old 05-26-04, 09:50 AM

I've got probably 5 or 6 unwatched discs plus 2 seasons of X Files and 1 season of CSI.
Old 05-26-04, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by John-In-VA
I'd admit it if it were true, sure. but some of us are serious collectors and building a library of fave titles is surrounded by the thrill...not just when buying or watching. it sitting there is very exciting, because it is a part of a library that is essential. as far as buying...I see that as nothing more than a chore....something else I have to to during an already brutal, work day...and it's not all that exciting. I'd rather just snap my finger and have them instantly appear on my shelves.

anybody who just lets it sit and has excitment levels drop as time goes on.....seems to be wasting his/her time in the hobby anyway.
Old 05-26-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm probably about 75-100 behind on watching them. It's summertime though, you can't watch DVDs all the time
Old 05-26-04, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

About 10-20 for me. And I've been drooling around to get more.
Old 05-26-04, 11:21 AM
Banned

only 589 for me. I have to watch at least 8 a week to break even and last weekend I got in about 20.

I can't wait until this term ends so I can start catching up. I am still going to school this summer but I will have a lot more time to watch movies.

I still think I am going to die before I watch them all.
Old 05-26-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just counted, and out of 687 DVDs, I have 77 that I haven't watched.

Until now, I thought I only had around 20-25 that I hadn't seen.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.