Well Wal-Mart did it again

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-04, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pain in a** Wal-mart has Lord of the Rings Return of the King set up on display as you come in the store. And I will be damned if they all weren't fullscreen DVD's. I'm sure the Widescreens are hidden in the video dept.

But it just ticks me off when I see people picking up the DVD and it says FULLSCREEN ------ Do others feel the same as me???
Old 05-25-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
My Wal*Mart is pretty good with displaying Wide and Full. No digging required. Plus it was $13.25.

I guess YMMV
Old 05-25-04, 06:01 PM

That's a good price - here in Albuquerque it's priced at $14.24 --
still ticks me off though
Old 05-25-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya. I think I'm lucky with the Wal*Mart by me.... at least for the most part. Sometimes they slip but I've been happy most of the time.
Old 05-25-04, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if I ever had to go to walfart for a dvd....I would expect finding what I want to be like pulling my own tooth...just too damn painful.

it never bothers me because I'm used to it. I nipped the problem in the bud a long time ago...I order 90% of my titles, online.
Old 05-25-04, 06:08 PM
Cool New Member

yeah walmart is a pain especially because they have edited versions of every cd and the dvd selection is medicre. mostly fullscreen and not unrated editions. BUT, one thing that is awesome about that store is how they have bargain dvds for like 6 or 10 bucks, mostly dvds that have been out for 6 months or more, but you can find a dvd you forgot to buy and pick it up cheap. sometimes you walk out of the store happy that you dropped in.
Old 05-25-04, 06:10 PM

I just say no to Wal-Mart.
Old 05-25-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are already 4761 threads on this.
Old 05-25-04, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think everyone expects too much from a store that caters to the average joe. This isn't store for home theater buffs and movie fanatics.

When the new Wal-Mart by me opened it was hell trying to find a WS copy of anything. I talked to a few people casually about it and they seemed like they listened. When my wife started working there she brought me home a form that employees use to suggest things to the higher ups at that location.

Now I have no problems with this store and for the most part I order next to nothing online. I make my weekly midnight runs for new release and tack on my 10% discount. Even without the discount it's still way cheaper than most online stores.

Things can change but it takes times to get things rolling.
Old 05-25-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Well Wal-Mart did it again

Originally posted by Digital Rain

But it just ticks me off when I see people picking up the DVD and it says FULLSCREEN ------ Do others feel the same as me???
Not I. It's THEIR choice. THEY are the ones who are going to watch it. Why should it bother ME?
Old 05-25-04, 07:41 PM
Suspended

Wal-mart is all about making money, if the fullscreens weren't selling, i doubt they'd stock them..blame the consumer, not walmart.
Old 05-25-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
it never bothers me because I'm used to it. I nipped the problem in the bud a long time ago...I order 90% of my titles, online.
Old 05-25-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Am I the only one that this doesn't bother? Who cares what the average joe buys. Typically widescreen versions of movies get more sales anyway and studios aren't showing any signs of ditching widescreen, so I really don't care as long as I can find my widescreen. Besides if I went to WalMart to save myself a buck or two on a new release I wouldn't mind digging around for a widescreen. And if it pisses people off that much then just go to the local Best Buy with a walmart flyer in hand and price match.
Old 05-25-04, 07:57 PM

No, people can buy whatever they want. Believe it or not, not everyone WANTS WIDESCREEN and could careless about OAR or the "superiority" of the widescreen version and may *gasp* just want a copy of the movie.
Old 05-25-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^True. I can't count how many times I've seen people put dvd's back because it's only available on WS.
Old 05-25-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
here's the obligatory:

"Well, when they finally get their 16x9 tvs their going to be surprised that instead of black bars on the top and bottom their gonna get 'em on the side."
Old 05-25-04, 11:05 PM
Banned

Well, I got one to top all you all.

So my local Wal-Mart has had a ROTK poster display on a dealy thing in the lobby (between the outside doors and inside doors) that specifically said:

Come to Wal-Mart on May 25th between 12:01am and 6:00am and receive a complementary magnetic frame (ROTK themed)
So here I drive up town a few minutes past midnight, arrive at Wal-Mart at about quarter after or so, and get out of my truck, walk to the doors, and their LOCKED. ie. the store is closed.

However, there's two guys in there, one fat guy in bibbed over-alls setting up the ROTK display stand, along with a SPR-60th Ann. stand. And apparently his boss or something sitting there in the consession stand watching.

So I stand at the locked door for about 10-15 minutes thinking for sure they'd see me, but no. All the while the parking lot cleaning machine was driving around.

So I'm thinking, "You're running a promotion and you're f***'ing CLOSED!"

Discouraged, I went home.

So I go back Tuesday morning around 10:00, pick it up, go to the register and they charge me the full $19.95. I ask, "Isn't it on sale?" The register lady looked over at the display and said, "It would have been posted if it was." Total price w/tax: $21.11. Something tells me that I ought to go back later and check the price and if it was on sale, to get a refund for over-charging.
Old 05-26-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my wal-mart had both, albeit 9 to 1 was Fullscreen, its ok though I snagged my widescreen and left!!

Go Lakers!
Old 05-26-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by demonio
my wal-mart had both, albeit 9 to 1 was Fullscreen, its ok though I snagged my widescreen and left!!

Go Wolves!
Same thing happened at the Wal-Mart I went to this afternoon, except it was more like 20-1 in favor of Fool Screen. It surprised me cuz usually it's no worse than 50/50 at that location.
Old 05-26-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just solve the problem by not shopping at Wal Mart. And inspite of their pushing full screen DVDs on the unsupecting public, widescreen titles still outsell full screen nearly everytime, so obviously the majority "get it."
Old 05-26-04, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Wal Mart's up here display both versions equally.
Old 05-26-04, 10:35 AM

Wal*Mart = Like KMart so a lot of cheap azz people shop there=cheap azz people=full screen tvs=fullscreen tvs=full screen dvds

Thats why
Old 05-26-04, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Damien666Omen
Wal*Mart = Like KMart so a lot of cheap azz people shop there
yeah, but my Big K gets new releases in sometimes a week or more early. it's happened every week for the last few months. I'll take K over W for dvds...any day of the week.
Old 05-26-04, 12:36 PM
Banned

Ban the FULLscreen - Boycott the P&S - lets get them to stop wasting money on material and separate printed covers and returns and shipping costs from the distributor and then the same costs of sending the FS overstock back to the distributor and pass those savings on to us, the consumer
Old 05-29-04, 02:44 PM

they should just stop making fullscreen editions of films altogether wal-mart selling them obviously means that people are still buying them, and the DVD distributors can still claim that there is a need for fullscreen editions alongside widescreen ones.

i bet if wal-mart were only to stock the widescreen edition of a film it wouldn't affect their sales in the least..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.