Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Whats the best way to view (not buy) DVD sets? Netflix?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-04, 01:03 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are several sets of DVDs that Id like to rent but not buy. Some are kind of obscure Anime series or BBC comedies and some are kind of new like the Star Trek TNG series or the 24 series etc...

Whats the best way to rent large selections like this? Netflix? something else?
Old 05-25-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Most of my recent rentals through Netflix have been tv series or anime. In the case of anime, many local rental stores don't have a large selection. WRT Tv series, I guess BB carries the 'hits', but it's just so much more convenient for me to use Netflix. As far as I know, unless you have a little specialty rental shop near you, Netflix [or perhaps one of the smaller, newer online dvd rentals] might be the *only* way to rent them. I'm glad I did, because some of them while I greatly enjoyed watching them, I'd never watch them again, so I'd lose a lot of money buying them.
In fact, probably 55-65% of my rental queue is currently tv series/anime.
The only downside is that Netflix only sends one disk at a time [that is, they are separate rentals]. I can't imagine that B&M rentals would do otherwise, especially when you're talking 4-8 disks per season/set/series, but I might be wrong. But in the case of multidisk sets, you could watch Disk 1, send it back, already have Disk 2 and 3, then by the time you finish Disk 2, you'd have disk 4 and be all set.
Netflix has saved me a lot of time, money, and energy, and I've been able to catch a lot of shows/series that I missed on first run [Firefly, should be getting disk 4 tomorrow], or that are hard to find as a rental [Evangelion.]
Old 05-25-04, 01:15 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Thats what i wanted to know.

If they had the titles at blockbuster i could rent 10 at a time. Shame you cant do more at a time with netflix.
Old 05-25-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Save Ferris
Thats what i wanted to know.

If they had the titles at blockbuster i could rent 10 at a time. Shame you cant do more at a time with netflix.
You can, but you'll pay more for it.

You could also "double" your memberships by joining both Netflix and Walmart.
Old 05-25-04, 01:25 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally posted by DVD Josh
You could also "double" your memberships by joining both Netflix and Walmart.
Walmart rents DVDs?
Old 05-25-04, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably McDonalds
Old 05-25-04, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Netflix does have, I think, an 8-out-at-a-time option. It runs around 40 bucks/month.
Walmart.com does have an online rental service. They are also slightly-to-a-good-bit cheaper than Netflix. But their selection is also less, and I have no idea as to their speed of checkin/checkout.
Old 05-25-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walmart rents DVDs?
Yeah, I actually prefer them to Netflix lately. I pay $16.55 counting tax a month and I can get two out at a time with no limit on how many I can get out a month. Whereas Netflix changed their deal with the two-out program where you can only get a maximum of four out in a month. Wal-Mart has a slightly more limited selection obviously, but they have a distribution center in my area and the turnaround has been pretty good for me. I managed to get through all of the seasons of Angel over the course of two months while also getting a few other discs during that time so I was happy.
Old 05-25-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by badger1997
Whereas Netflix changed their deal with the two-out program where you can only get a maximum of four out in a month.
I agree, their current 2-out plan sucks. I can't imagine anyone would see a benefit in that. I'm hesitant to try Walmart because of disk condition, shipping times, and selection; plus, I'm on the 'old' 2 out plan, 2 at a time, as many as you can get in a month, which I can deal with. WalMart is still cheaper across the board, but until they carry more of the stuff that's on my Netflix queue, or NF really jacks up their prices, I'll stick with NF. Plus NF really originated the concept, and I like to support the little guy sometimes.
Old 05-25-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by badger1997
Yeah, I actually prefer them to Netflix lately. I pay $16.55 counting tax a month and I can get two out at a time with no limit on how many I can get out a month. Whereas Netflix changed their deal with the two-out program where you can only get a maximum of four out in a month.
Not sure how this beats Netflix, with their 3-out-at-a-time unlimited per month for about $20 and very fast turnaround (drop a disc in the mailbox Monday am, new one arrives Wed. pm). And the selection is great--never waited for new releases.
Old 05-25-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also agreed--I don't think Netflix really 'likes' their 2-out plan anymore.
Walmarts prices are better across the board, however:
2 out, unltd rentals - 15.54
3 out, unltd rentals - 18.76
4 out, unltd rentals - 21.94

versus Netflix's new rates:
2 out, 4/mo - 14.99 [cheaper, but only 4 out a month]
3 out, unltd - 21.99
5 - 33.99
8 - 49.99

and I believe both vendors will collect your sales tax.
Old 05-25-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

a friend of mine was watching the sex and the city season's through the local library. i think he said they put in a request for them and they borrow them just like books. don't know the specifics though.
Old 05-25-04, 11:17 PM

Is anyone familiar with DVD Overnight? My doctor recommended them to me. They only charge for as many as you want, not a monthly fee. I checked out their website and every title I wanted was already checked out.
Old 07-05-04, 10:19 AM

If you wanted to rent watch an entire season of a TV show how can you guarentee that you will be sent the discs in the correct order?

Do you request only the disc you want right then, or do you request the entire season and put it in your Que? I would hate to get the 6th disc of a season prior to the first disc of the season.
Old 07-05-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just place the disk in your queue in the order you want to receive them.
Old 07-05-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Whats the best way to view (not buy) DVD sets? Netflix?

There are several sets of DVDs that Id like to rent but not buy. Some are kind of obscure Anime series or BBC comedies and some are kind of new like the Star Trek TNG series or the 24 series etc...

Whats the best way to rent large selections like this? Netflix? something else?
Another option is to:

Buy the set, watch it, sell it used. Probably loose a few bucks, but usually still cheaper than renting each disc.
Old 07-05-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You could also check out your local library. I can check out the entire TV box set at my library (movie box sets are checked out by individual movies). Plus, it doesn't cost anything (other than what it costs to get a library card.
Old 07-05-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been using Netflix for pretty much anything I don't feel like buying... Including TV sets.