Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Slipknot any good?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Is Slipknot any good?

Old 05-25-04, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Slipknot any good?

I never really payed attention to the group, i always thought they relyed on the mask gimmick, but recently i saw them perform on Leno and they were pretty good. So whats the dish on these guys? I know a majority of people here perfer to follow lesser known bands and stray away from the norm, but is this band half decent? I wanna listen to some tuff tunes and im thinking about picking up thier latest, your thoughts?
Old 05-25-04, 06:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO Slipknot is a lousy band, predictable and boring. They're not even a band, more like a lame Halloween circus show. If you wanna hear some good heavy music try Leviathan, Nora. etc.
Old 05-25-04, 08:12 AM

no
Old 05-25-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought that Iowa was pretty damn good. Their new one is getting good early reviews and is supposedly their best.

This band reminds me of Blink 182 in some ways: a good band hampered by their commercial image. I think if you forget Slipknot's ICP-esque/nu-metal image and distance yourself from their zit-faced fanbase, they start to sound like a very good metal band with a truly excellent drummer.
Old 05-25-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Compared to the utter crap that passes for popular music these days?

No
Old 05-25-04, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I cant stand Slipknot... but Murderdolls (a side project of one of the members) is pretty cool
Old 05-25-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Slipknot has 4 albums:

Mate, Feed, Kill Repeat is a great album
Slipknot is a good album
Iowa is a bad album
The Subliminal Verses is a horrible album
Old 05-25-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Personally can't stand them.
Old 05-25-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think they are alright.
Old 05-26-04, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope, they suck.
Old 05-26-04, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if good is a turd sammitch, then yes!!
Old 05-26-04, 03:40 AM

I think they're pretty awesome. All media hype/masks/boiler room suits/onstage brawls aside, their music is quite unique.

IMO, it makes sense they have nine band members. The additional percussion, the DJ and the "weird sounds" guy, they all add something to Slipknot's music resulting in a multi-layered sound.

I don't know their debut album "Mate feed kill repeat" (only about 1000 copies made, you have to pay a fortune on ebay; they don't plan to re-release it since the had a different singer back then and -in their own words- "it didn't really represent what they are about"), but their self-titled album made quite an impact on the rock music scene.
It was one of the first albums in a long time (since Metallica/Slayer/Sepultura/Megadeth) that a metal album had commercial success (over 1 mill. sold) despite its heaviness, even compared to nu metal artists.

Here's my verdict:
"Slipknot" - good album for the most part (esp. the first half contains a lot of their "hits" like "Wait & Bleed", "Spit It Out" and , of course, "Surfacing")

"Iowa" - pretty good album, heavier than "Slipknot". Less gimmicks (Scratching etc.), more straight thrashing.

"Vol.3" - can't really judge it yet, since I just got it yesterday.
Definitely their most eclectic album yet. Everything from their hardest songs to date (eg. "Three Nil") to Stone Sour-esque ballads ("Circle") to collage-like songs ("The Nameless").

Have to give it a few more listens.
Old 05-26-04, 05:47 AM
Banned

When I first heard slipnot I thought they were good but then when I saw the lead singer put out that slow song and he had his mask off and he was a good looking guy with a good voice I thought why is he wearing a mask and singing this stuff thats like justin timberlake growing his hair long and starting a death metal band just so he can look tough. I think bands like slipnot are for young kids who want to piss of their parents by having a cd that they can turn up full blast in their room and anoy people.
thats just my opinon.
Old 05-26-04, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My opinion... They kick ass!
Old 05-26-04, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by NEW BALTIMORE
I think bands like slipnot are for young kids who want to piss of their parents by having a cd that they can turn up full blast in their room and anoy people.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

I still love to do that. (I'm 29, so it's neighbors now instead of parents)
Old 05-26-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the best thing about Slipknot is their live shows, they have always been one my favorites to see because the shows are completely nuts.

As far as the albums, i love all of them, though Iowa a little less. Im still listening to the new one, its too early to judge that one. For the side projects, i didnt like the Murderdolls but really liked Stone Sour.
Old 05-26-04, 10:37 AM

The first album (not including M.F.K.R) was raw hard hitting and one of my fav cds, IOWA was a big let down and full of teen depression bullshit.. the new CD has some upper moments and if you have a few spare coins worth picking up.
Old 05-26-04, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

they're still around?!
Old 05-26-04, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

they have a great drummer, but their music isn't most people's cup of tea.
Old 05-26-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Granted, I don't know your personal tastes in music, as mine are everywhere, but I love Slipknot. I highly recommend you find another way to hear them, other than having us give our opinions-we all over w/yeses and no's. Best Buy has their new album for 9.99, which isn't a bad price.
I think, their new album is great, but will defiantely create friction among their fans. some say its good to their best, some say it sucks. I love their new album for one reason-they defied expectations. I wasn't sure what to expect on their new album, more of the same? But after giving the whole album a spin, I think Rick Rubin helped them expand. Bands like Slipknot, death/thrash, can start to sound repetitive, but hear every track is a new adventure. Sure the acoustic/ballads are head-scratchers (and maybe some Stone Sour rubbed off), but its still Slipknot-and it rocks. People complain when a new album comes out from a band and if its the same as their previous releases, then they didn't grow, but when a band changes a little bit, musically, then they soldout. But Volume 3 will add longevitity to Slipknot.

I highly recommend their dvd-Disasterpieces. 2-discs, awesome picture quality, and all their videos, 100 minute concert w/option to rotate b/w 9 cameras for different angles, and the best DD 5.1 for a music dvd I ever heard.
Old 05-26-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are they any good? Well... yes, but the bad far outweighs the good.
Old 05-27-04, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well i think ill give them a chance, $9.99 isn't bad for a record spin so ill see whats up.
Old 05-27-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think they are awesome. I haven't picked up Vol. 3 yet, so I should probably do that.
Old 05-27-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No.
Old 05-28-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i think slipknot is ok, i would consider myself a fan although i probably dislike or just don't like maybe 75% of their stuff. but what i do like, i like alot.

their self titled, the first maybe five or six tracks are good.
iowa, really don't know it, i listened to it once and 2 tracks really stood out so that is all i listen too. and those two tracks being;
left behind? something like that or atleast it is said in the chorus.
the other, my favorite slipknot song, hertic anthem. later i came to like people = shit.

haven't heard the new one yet.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.