Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Star Wars ep.1 and ROTK.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe I missed this in episode 1... When Qui-Gon asks Anakin's mother who his father was she answers" There was no father. I carried him, I gave birth, I raised him. I can't explain what happened."

What? Is this a case of "Divine Intervention"? Or did Anakin's mother have too many drinks one night out and can't remember?

My other question concerns ROTK. I read the books 20 years ago but I think I remember Saruman being in ROTK, in the Shire?

Please refresh my memory!

Cheers!
Old 05-23-04, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, Saruman was in the shire at the end of the book. That will not be and never was going to be in the movie.

As for Shmi Skywalker, she is just a drunk and a slut.
Old 05-23-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Question about Star Wars ep.1 and ROTK.

Originally posted by Darkfriend
I can't believe I missed this in episode 1... When Qui-Gon asks Anakin's mother who his father was she answers" There was no father. I carried him, I gave birth, I raised him. I can't explain what happened."

What? Is this a case of "Divine Intervention"? Or did Anakin's mother have too many drinks one night out and can't remember?

My other question concerns ROTK. I read the books 20 years ago but I think I remember Saruman being in ROTK, in the Shire?

Please refresh my memory!

Cheers!
1) Midichlorians

2) Yes it was edited from the movie
Old 05-23-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Question about Star Wars ep.1 and ROTK.

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
1) Midichlorians

2) Yes it was edited from the movie
1- Aren't they in the blood? Or she got pregnant because "it was meant to be"?

2- Will we see Saruman in the EE?
Old 05-23-04, 04:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts
just curious...but what was Sarumon doing in The Shire?
Old 05-23-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kickin' it.

wow, mixing in LOTR and SW from post one.. this can't end well.
Old 05-23-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hehe Jackskeleton, I didn't want 2 separate posts for 2 short questions... Let the chips fall where they may
Old 05-23-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saruman will return for the EE of ROTK in November!
Old 05-23-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Saruman was in the shire in the Scouring of the Shire sequence which will not be in the EE, it was not filmed. Frodo's vision in Galadriel's birdbath thing was PJ's homage to that.

We will see what happens to Saruman at the place the Ents trashed (forgot the name)

As for Schmi, she was given a child by the midichlorians which do not cause the Force, are merely a conduit for the Force.
Old 05-23-04, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, I thought this was one of those kinds of threads. Nevermind...
Old 05-23-04, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by scott1598
just curious...but what was Sarumon doing in The Shire?
This part in the book takes place AFTER the destruction of the Ring. Saruman attempts to burn down the Shire, enslave and kill every one of the Hobbits. It's a terrific and sad episode because we really see how OUR Hobbits have grown from their adventure, what they've learned, and why they will never be the same. They're no longer the naive, innocent halflings they were when they left. Every hobbit in the Shire is forced to fight, it turns into Hobbits vs. Saruman and his minions and
Spoiler:
the white wizard is eventually defeated
Although many fans complained that this was never going to be in the film, just imagine how many more mainstream moviegoers would bitch about the already lengthy ending. The scene now where the hobbits are at the bar drinking and evryone else is oblivious to what they've been through is a nice substitute and in a few seconds also shows that they are forever changed.

Last edited by Rivero; 05-23-04 at 09:09 PM.
Old 05-23-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The midichlorians excuse is so ridiculous. I hate George Lucas for....Ok I guess I'll stop right there.
Old 05-23-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
The midichlorians excuse is so ridiculous. I hate George Lucas for....Ok I guess I'll stop right there.
OK ... let's go for the Holy Trinity in this thread ....

It is no more rediculous than calling a stoned hacker a mesiah or "The One."

If I'm not mistaken, in the LOTR novel, Saruman is the leader of henchmen who take over the Shire. He eventually has his throat slit by Grima.
Old 05-24-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I think the midichlorians are a gene or a cell that allows a person to have force powers (lame as that is) that is what I took from that. I don't think that had any bearing on Schmi getting pregnant. I think it was more or less like the Virgan Mary giving birth to the savior of humanity. Granted Anakin had some bumps along the way, but in the end he saved the galaxy from the tyrant that was the emperor.
Old 05-24-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I think the midichlorians are a gene or a cell that allows a person to have force powers (lame as that is) that is what I took from that. I don't think that had any bearing on Schmi getting pregnant. I think it was more or less like the Virgan Mary giving birth to the savior of humanity. Granted Anakin had some bumps along the way, but in the end he saved the galaxy from the tyrant that was the emperor.
I'm glad you said it and not me. That's exactly what I got from it. I didn't think the midichlorians had anything to do with the conception. I'm not SW geek (not even a fan, really), but that's how I interpreted that scene.
Old 05-24-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, Saruman was in the shire at the end of the book. That will not be and never was going to be in the movie.

We have decided to save the Saruman sequence for the DVD. It's a great little scene. 7 mins long. Chris is wonderful, as usual. Brad is in about 6 shots. It was a film maker decision - nothing to do with the studio.
http://www.killermovies.com/l/lotrth...cles/3321.html

Christopher Lee, who plays wizard Saruman in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, says he was stunned to find out that his scenes from Return of the King had been cut.
http://www.killermovies.com/l/lotrth...cles/3304.html

Peter Jackson, speaking on the web, has apparently said the missing scenes will be in the extended version of the film, to be released on DVD in 2004.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/tv...00/3270939.stm

According to British newspaper reports appearing on November 13, 2003, Christopher Lee was unhappy to learn that a seven-minute scene featuring a confrontation at Isengard in which Gandalf casts Saruman out of the order of Wizards, would not be appearing in the finished film, and he decided to boycott the premiere as a result. Peter Jackson has confirmed that this scene, although not in the theatrical release, will be included in the extended VHS and DVD editions planned for release in 2004. These were originally scheduled for release in November 2004, following the release of the theatrical edition originally scheduled for late August. However, the official movie website now quotes May 25 as a release date for the standard edition [1], confirming earlier reports in British DVD collecting magazines. This suggests that the extended edition may appear in July or August. The British web store Blackstar.co.uk also lists a "Trilogy Box Set" for the same date; this apparently collects the theatrical editions with no further additional features.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lor...n_of_the_King_(movie)

Saruman will be in the EE cut of ROTK and will be explained. There is no scouring of the shire to show since it was not filmed.

All the more reason to read the book if you have not.
Old 05-24-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think anikan was concieved by the force, which is why Qui-Gon thinks he is the chosen one.
Old 05-24-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Qui Gon clearly says that midichlorians exist in every living thing. Everything. Even Jar Jar has midichlorians. I believe he also says something about "learning to still your mind, so you can hear them".

They don't allow you to have Force powers, they allow you to listen to and speak to the Force. It partially controls your actions, yet also obey's your will. "The Emperor knew that if Anakin were to have any children, they would be a threat to him." Why? Genetics. "The Force runs strong in my family." Several quotes in the OT from the very beginning all point towards something physical, not just meta-physical about the Force.

With Palpatine making incredible demands on the Force for evil, I don't think it's too outlandish to think that the Force could nudge Schmi's midichlorians the right way to make her pregnant to balance that out.

And while I'm here, I've got a theory I'd like to test on you fellas.
In the PT, we see Palpatine using the Dark side of the Force extensively, yet the Jedi don't sense it. In the OT we have Leia tortured by Vader and yet he never senses the Force in her. I never compared the two directly until recently, but I think that there's a Force trick that both Leia and Palpatine were born with, but only Palpatine discovered and used to his advantage. I've always compared Leia to a stone on the bottom of a stream, with the water being the Force. When she's on the bottom, sitting still, the Force moves around her, and can even affect her some, but it's not until she would rise to the surface, creating eddys and swirls that she could be detected by other Force users. I think Palpatine also has this talent, and learned to harnass it. ObiWan and Yoda may also learn this later, and use it to hide on Degobah and Tattooine, respectively.

What do you think?
Old 05-24-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by milo bloom
Qui Gon clearly says that midichlorians exist in every living thing. Everything. Even Jar Jar has midichlorians. I believe he also says something about "learning to still your mind, so you can hear them".

They don't allow you to have Force powers, they allow you to listen to and speak to the Force. It partially controls your actions, yet also obey's your will. "The Emperor knew that if Anakin were to have any children, they would be a threat to him." Why? Genetics. "The Force runs strong in my family." Several quotes in the OT from the very beginning all point towards something physical, not just meta-physical about the Force.

With Palpatine making incredible demands on the Force for evil, I don't think it's too outlandish to think that the Force could nudge Schmi's midichlorians the right way to make her pregnant to balance that out.

And while I'm here, I've got a theory I'd like to test on you fellas.
In the PT, we see Palpatine using the Dark side of the Force extensively, yet the Jedi don't sense it. In the OT we have Leia tortured by Vader and yet he never senses the Force in her. I never compared the two directly until recently, but I think that there's a Force trick that both Leia and Palpatine were born with, but only Palpatine discovered and used to his advantage. I've always compared Leia to a stone on the bottom of a stream, with the water being the Force. When she's on the bottom, sitting still, the Force moves around her, and can even affect her some, but it's not until she would rise to the surface, creating eddys and swirls that she could be detected by other Force users. I think Palpatine also has this talent, and learned to harnass it. ObiWan and Yoda may also learn this later, and use it to hide on Degobah and Tattooine, respectively.

What do you think?

i think you could be on to something here. i guess we will know in a little less than a year....
Old 05-24-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Brian for clearing that ROTK stuff

And regarding Shmi getting pregnant, I still prefer this theory:

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan

As for Shmi Skywalker, she is just a drunk and a slut.
Less complicated than the Midichlorians thingie...
Old 05-24-04, 08:19 PM
Banned

Jackson also stole a line straight outta EP1...when Aragorn says "What does your heart tell you" I believe Qui Gon said that exact thing to Obi...
Old 05-24-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Jackson also stole a line straight outta EP1...when Aragorn says "What does your heart tell you" I believe Qui Gon said that exact thing to Obi...
Wrong. Shmi said that to Ani when he asked her if he was going to see her again. Get your quotes straight man. You're shaming that username.
Old 05-24-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by milo bloom
What do you think?
I think it's a plot hole.
Old 05-24-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
Oh yeah sure. I'm sure Peter Jackson watched Star Wars and said "that there's some good dialogue, I'm gonna use it!" Or, perhaps, they just wrote the same thing.

I remember when we saw Phantom Menace we broke into full on laughter when Shmi mentioned her virgin birth. I was looking for a manger at that point...
Old 05-25-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
interesting theory about staying hidden, especially since vader was on or in orbit of tattooine and didn't sense obi wan until later on the deathstar when obi wan wanted to face vader
unother posibility with leia is that she had no idea she was force sensitive so that might be why vader didn't sense anything from her. he sensed it in luke though because luke had been made aware that he had the potential

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.