Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ideas for Smokey & The Bandit 4

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been 21 years since the last Smokey and The Bandit(less) movie so if this franchise is to be revitalized it would have to be done as a remake or "revisualization" as movie folk like to put it these days. However IMO no one can play the Bandit other than Burt Reynolds and who wants to see someone else be the Snowman or Buford T. Justice?

With Jackie Gleason no longer in a position to go in hot pursuit of the bandit it sure won't be the same but I've got a real grand idea to make a cool fourth Smokey and The Bandit movie.

The Bandit, Cledus "Snowman" Snow and Carrie/Frog are all back and so is Junior.

Junior wound up marrying that tall woman that was hot for Buford T. Justice in S&TB3 and they had a son. Junior's son is now 21 and Sheriff of Texarcana, Junior is still a Deputy. Junior's son is a big guy and smart (Maybe played by The Rock?). Junior played by Mike Henry is still a dummy and his son treats him just like his grandfather Buford T. Justice treated him.
Then again after all the abuse Junior took from his Daddy maybe it has made him mean but that's just not as funny.

For whatever reason The Bandit (played by Burt Reynolds of course) comes out of retirement, maybe to reclaim his throne or just because the Burdetts are bored again and want to mess with Junior or just because we need a lame excuse to make another Bandit movie.

The Bandit mostly wants to be that guy from the first film that Frog fell for. They got back together in part 2 but we never knew if they stayed together because part 3 although somewhat funny really rather sucked and only included the bandit in a weird hallucination scene. I'd like to assume that the Bandit was still in love with himself more than Carrie and Carrie left him again and got married and now 20 or so years later her husband is dead or something.

Anyway I see the Bandit in 2004/05 as a used car salesman. Seeing Carrie again after twenty years gives him incentive to be the Bandit again, he reunites with Cledus and they take the Burdetts offer to do whatever scheme they have for him.

Paul Williams and Pat McCormick are still around but Pat McCormick is paralyzed so that situation would have to worked out somehow.

So am I crazy or is anyone else up for another Smokey film? Any ideas?

Last edited by Samuel; 05-23-04 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-23-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Haha. That's cool.

Call Paramount. They'll buy it.
Old 05-23-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be down, but I think you need an Icon for the Jackie role. He was so integral in his part. How about Bill Cosby, a TV icon comparable to Jackie? Or how about dumping the originals and casting:

George Clooney as the Bandit
Matthew McConaley or Kid Rock as Cletus
Rachel Leigh Cook as Frog
James Gandolfini as Sheriff Buford
Will Ferrell as Junior
Toby Keith as Big Enos
Peter Dinklage as Little Enos

Clooney might be a bit too old for Cook, and she might not be spitfire enough, but I'd go see this movie.
Old 05-23-04, 03:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Bandit (Burt) is elected town sheriff.
Now he's the crusty old fart.
And this young Mexican illegal wants to do the same thing the Bandit did 30 years ago.
By making the new Bandit Mexican, the Sheriff can use racial slurs like Jackie Gleason did.
And the Trans-Am will be some suped up,MTV Pimp-MY Car, lowrider,custom car.