Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Saw a great show last night!! Never guess who....

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-23-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to Toad's Place last night here in New Haven and I saw a great show. Thing is you won't believe who it was.

The Romantics!!

Yes, that's right. You heard me. The Romantics! Long before "What I Like About You" became a staple in sports arenas and on commercials, the Romantics were cranking great Beatlesque power pop circa 1963. They even still wear the matching leather suits. They sound a hell of alot better live than they do on record (alot less "tinny").

If they're in your area check them out. You'll be surprised. I know I was!!
Old 05-23-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How's Toad's these days? I haven't been since my Yale years.
Old 05-23-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Toad's doesn't pull in the big shows like they used to unfortunatley. They only have a capacity of 800 and they would need twice that to draw some good acts. Otherwise you'd be looking at $30-$40 ticket prices. They get alot of the same acts over and over; Blue Oyster Cult, Led Zeppling tribute bands, Pink Floyd tribute bands, Tower of Power, Average White Band, Molly Hatchet, etc. They have alot of "dance parties" on the weekends sponsored by local radio stations which they seem to do really well with. Last night was an early show, so people were filing in and you could hear people say "hey when is the band gonna finish?". Absolutley clueless I tell ya!!

The city has been even fining Toad's when they find band fliers posted on utility boxes. Then again New Haven has always found a way to shoot itself in the foot when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Last edited by Captain Harlock; 05-23-04 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-23-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey, that's cool! Wish Ida been there Heh, some great tunes came out of the New Wave "era". I've included The Romatics Big Hit Song on every 80's comp I've tried my hand at making. Here's the very last iteration of same:

1. Contours - Do you love me ............... 2.54
2. Squeeze - Bang bang ..................... 2.06
3. Pretenders - Middle of the road ......... 4.14
4. The Police - Canary in a coalmine ....... 2.23
5. R.E.M. - Carnival of sorts (Boxcars) .... 3.54
6. The Police - Fall Out ................... 2.05
7. Adam Ant - Goody two shoes .............. 3.33
8. Nick Lowe - Half a boy and half a man ... 2.56
9. Rolling Stones - Hang Fire .............. 2.24
10. Go-go's - Head over heels ............... 3.39
11. The Vapours - Turning Japanese .......... 3.22
12. B-52's - Private Idaho .................. 3.36
13. The Police - Peanuts .................... 4.02
14. XTC - Senses working overtime ........... 4.51
15. R.E.M. - Ages of you ................... 3.42
16. Flock of Seagulls - Telecommunication ... 2.33
17. R.E.M. - See no Evil .................... 2.54
18. The Police - Truth hits everybody ....... 2.56
19. Go-go's - Turn to you ................... 3.52
20. The Pretenders - Watching the clothes ... 2.53
21. The Romantics - What I like about you ... 2.59
22. The Police - Born in the 50's ........... 3.41

Obviously I like the Police! Hmm, dunno how the Contours and Stones got on there

-Gunshy
Old 05-23-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Only been to Toad's a couple of times..

Saw Maceo Parker there.

Saw Me'shell Ndegeocello and met her out front [as she was givng a homeless guy some $$$ while macking on a honey]. Cool people, GREAT show.

Also saw Dee-Lite there with a friend who is/was friends with Lady Kier. Met her downstairs after the show. Man is she HOT in person. And, NO, that wasn't the weed-filled room talkin' either..
Old 05-24-04, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
They were here a few months back but there was another band I had to see the same night.

I picked up their new cd and it sounds pretty good. I was a big fan of the Romantics as soon as their first album came out.
Old 05-24-04, 07:25 AM

I used to go to Toad's all the time! They used to get a lot of popular 'alternative' bands back in the early 90's. I saw Hole, Belly, Juliana Hatfield, Weezer, Lush, Fountains of Wayne, and a bunch of others there. I really liked Toad's since it was rather on the small side.

I guess like everything else in CT (the mom and pop record shop, the local music scene), Toad's has been affected by the change in music culture (and economics).
Old 05-24-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by remjim
I used to go to Toad's all the time! They used to get a lot of popular 'alternative' bands back in the early 90's. I saw Hole, Belly, Juliana Hatfield, Weezer, Lush, Fountains of Wayne, and a bunch of others there. I really liked Toad's since it was rather on the small side.

I guess like everything else in CT (the mom and pop record shop, the local music scene), Toad's has been affected by the change in music culture (and economics).
I was at both the Julianna Hatfield and the Fountains of Wayne shows too!! Thing I remembered most about the Julianna Hatfield show was that the opener (local band) got boo'ed off the stage. They said "okay this is our last song" and the crowd cheered!! Man, it was a tough room that night.

You're right though. Toad's is being affected by economics. They would probably have to at least double thier size to be competitive now a days.

Last edited by Captain Harlock; 05-24-04 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-24-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Captain Harlock
I was at both the Julianna Hatfield and the Fountains of Wayne shows too!! Thing I remembered most about the Julianna Hatfield show was that the opener (local band) got boo'ed off the stage. They said "okay this is our last song" and the crowd cheered!! Man, it was a tough room that night.

You're right though. Toad's is being affected by economics. They would probably have to at least double thier size to be competitive now a days.
I am very jealous that you got to see JH and FOW live
Old 05-24-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've seen Juliana and the Blake Babies a few times each, but I missed the FOW when they came through.

Once I was on vacation and the other time I called the club to see when they would play and they said that they were already playing. It was only 7:30 pm. Geesh!