Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Conan's Triumph comes to dvd! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-04, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conan's Triumph comes to dvd!

I'm posting here because this is probably most interesting for us tv geeks.From TVShowsOnDVD.com:

"Also in-the-works is a DVD featuring Triumph the Insult Comic Dog's appearances on Late Night with Conan O'Brien. We first had a heads-up about this a month ago, when one of our readers, "Mike," had gone to be in the audience of Saturday Night Live, and in the lobby encountered none other than Robert Smigel. Smigel is, of course, the person behind the Insult Dog. Besides being Triumph, Smigel also works on the "TV Funhouse" cartoons which air on SNL, which explains his being there. Reader Mike asked Smigel about DVD plans for the "TV Funhouse" cartoons, and Smigel told him that music rights would be an obstacle for those. However, Smigel went on to tell Mike that this summer there will be a DVD of Triumph's Conan segments.

We dug a bit deeper into that, and found out that the DVD will be 60 minutes long, with full-length Triumph segments (including Conan's original show introductions), and that among the sketches planned for inclusion are:
Westminster Dog Show
Hollywood Squares
Bon Jovi
Second Westminster Segment
Star Wars fanatics
MTV Awards
Quebec!

Also, the DVD will open with a brief intro that Smigel-as-Triumph recorded specificially for the collection. Cool, eh? As far as Smigel's comment that the release timeframe is "this summer", we should point out that the NBC-Universal home video slate for most of the summer timeframe is already announced, and that neither of these are on the list yet. There's still time to make it, of course, but don't be surprised if these slip to the Fall quarter. Stay tuned, though, because we'll bring you the rest of the details, plus cover art, just as soon as they are announced."

Some great stuff,especially Star Wars & Quebec.I would hope they also include AI Hawaii auditions.
Old 05-23-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only 60 minutes? They should also include Smigel's series TV Funhouse, which also had appearances from Triumph as a "bonus" feature.
Old 05-23-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Awesome
Old 05-23-04, 10:37 AM

no 8 mile parody?
Old 05-23-04, 12:11 PM

that sounds pretty cool, but little to no chance for TVFunhouse? Clear up the rights issues, and bring it out already!
Old 05-23-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
wo0t

still waiting on a PimpBot 3000 DVD...
Old 05-23-04, 03:26 PM

Gee, you only mentioned half of my news! Why not mention the entire thing?

The news item is properly titled "Conan's Triumph", which refers both to the Triumph DVD you talked about, and the other one you ignored by leaving out the first portion:

Good news for Conan fans...not one, but two different DVD's are in the works for release. One featuring the man himself, and the other featuring a frequent guest-star.

The Late Night with Conan O'Brien 10th Anniversary Special that was on NBC primetime last September is coming to DVD. Guest stars include former sidekick Andy Richter, plus Ben Stiller, Jack Black, and David Lee Roth. It was mentioned that it will be presented in 1.33:1 fullscreen, but that's the only other detail we have. Exact street date, along with price, full specs, and any other features will be passed along just as soon as they are announced.

So, who's the lucky studio that will be bringing this out? In the past, NBC releases on DVD have come from an assorted group of studios, but Video Business is confirming in a story posted yesterday (free registration required) that "in the future, all NBC-produced titles will be released through (Universal Studios Home Video), unless a previous deal is in place..." In wrapping their story, which concentrated on recent NBC hit The Apprentice (which we've already reported on), Video Business mentioned that "Other possible NBC candidates for DVD distribution include Crossing Jordan, The Tonight Show Starring Jay Leno and Late Night With Conan O'Brien." So it looks like the newly merged NBC-Universal entity will indeed be the source of these Conan releases.

Also in-the-works...
Old 06-03-04, 06:02 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

yay! conan and triumph on dvd finally!

i hope the triumph dvd has him and the star wars geeks

The rather silly epic miniseries 10.5 kicks things off on August 24th, preceded by the television "classic" Alf: Season One, Conan O'Brien 10th Anniversary Special and a Triumph the Insult Comic Dog compilation on August 10th. All are presented in 4:3 full screen and Dolby 2.0 stereo (except 10.5, which will rumble in full Dolby 5.1) with no extras. Retail will cost you $19.95 a pop, except for Alf, which will cost $39.95.
Old 06-03-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just hope the Triumph bits aren't edited at all from what was shown on the show.
Old 06-03-04, 06:55 PM

I want Pimpbot!
Old 06-03-04, 08:32 PM

i hope the triumph dvd has him and the star wars geeks

THAT BIT WAS HILARIOUS!
Old 06-04-04, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"obieone wackoffrightnow"

"this one looks like some kind of super nerd"

Ya we do need pimpbot 2000 on dvd. He has been off the show for years.

I do think they should have more than 1 hour of material on the dvd for a $20 price tag. Especially since they have so many great skits.
Old 06-04-04, 03:18 AM

Didn't triump have some Comedy Central specials or something. I remember seeing some clips on the CC website ans he was in Vegas and whores and drugs and his posse and curse words were flying.
Old 06-04-04, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Star Wars one and the Westminster Dog Show will both be on the dvd. Thank goodness.

Triumph to a pregnant Star Wars fan:

"Is that a future jedi in there? That will probably be the last vagina he'll ever see." Ha!

And that part where he meets the Lord of the Ring outcast...."you are one misinformed hound". Where in the heck did that guy come from?!

Ahh, good times... good times.
Old 06-04-04, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by shawagg
Didn't triump have some Comedy Central specials or something. I remember seeing some clips on the CC website ans he was in Vegas and whores and drugs and his posse and curse words were flying.
That was from a short-lived show called "TV Funhouse."
Old 06-04-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking at Vader's chest: "What button calls your mom to pick you up?"
Old 06-04-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
NOTHING beats the Bon Jovi skit:

"Bon Jovi returns to its home state of New Jersey, much like poop returning up into the butthole."
Old 06-04-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dupe thread!

Search is everyones friend (except mine)

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hlight=triumph
Old 06-04-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: Conan's Triumph comes to dvd!

We dug a bit deeper into that, and found out that the DVD will be 60 minutes long, with full-length Triumph segments (including Conan's original show introductions), and that among the sketches planned for inclusion are:
Westminster Dog Show
Hollywood Squares
Bon Jovi
Second Westminster Segment
Star Wars fanatics
MTV Awards
Quebec!

I must own this.
Old 06-04-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
This is the best news I've heard all week....

FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!

Ok someone had to say it.
Old 06-04-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll be getting both, Conan's aniversary special and the Triumph dvds.

The Triumph dvd better have the American Idol Hawaii special. Especially the part with the news anchors.
Old 06-04-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by purplechoe

The Triumph dvd better have the American Idol Hawaii special. Especially the part with the news anchors.
yeah, the male anchor person looked really pissed. and for all the trouble that the qubec skit got in with the canadian government, i'm surprised that its even going to be on hte dvd.
Old 06-23-04, 01:27 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Just saw this mentioned in Video Store Magazine today, and they list the Triumph DVD as being 150 minutes long, not 130 as previously reported.

Sweet.
Old 06-23-04, 01:51 AM

Was it the MTV music awards where he asked JLO if he could sniff her ass? About pissed myself when I saw that.
Old 06-24-04, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by purplechoe

Triumph's web site is saying that Hawaii will be on the DVD. Looks like its 60 minutes of full-fledged reporting skits from Conan and 90 additional minutes of extras and mini-skits.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.