Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Looks like LOTR: Return of the King should sound awesome.

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-04, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As expected, the soundtrack is amazing, but look at this review from the guys at Widescreen Review:

The Dolby® Digital Surround EX™ presentation of Peter Jackson’s theatrical masterpiece on DVD is a brilliant accomplishment and very well could be the best soundtrack ever on DVD. This is a soundtrack in which DVD dreams are made of. Without any noticeable faults, this is as near a perfect presentation as you’ll ever experience. It really is quite astonishing that one soundtrack could contain as many exemplary moments as this one contains. It’s no wonder why this film won the Oscar® for Best Sound. Dialogue is dead-on accurate with exquisite reproduction of the most subtle of vocal inflections. Even during the very loud and heavy sound effect laden scenes, dialogue holds its intelligibility and clarity without any sort of degradation in vocal quality. Spatial dimensionality is also impressive as the sonic soundscape presented here seems to make the walls of the theatre completely disappear. The wide soundfield and immersive qualities of this audio mix places the listener directly into the world of Middle-earth. One of the reasons why this presentation is so immersive is in the very effective use of pans within the listening environment. This movie is filled with an unbelievable amount of transparent horizontal, vertical, and diagonal pans. Sound effortlessly travels back and forth, side to side, and corner to corner throughout the presentation. Chapters 28 through 44, during The Battle Of Pelennor Fields, are an all out assault on the senses and is numbing due to the sheer amount of sonic elements involved. It’s just spectacular to watch the way these scenes unfold as they grab ahold of the listener and just never let go. The immensity of the battle between good and evil literally takes your breath away. If you’re looking for a soundtrack with system-threatening bass, then look no further than this title. LFE activity is unmerciful and relentless, especially in Chapter 37. I cannot remember a soundtrack with this much subwoofer activity. Not only is the LFE channel ever-so-powerful, but bass extension is tight and controlled with varying degrees of deep bass punch that accurately reflects the action onscreen. Channel separation in Chapter 37, as well as during the rest of the presentation, is superb. The musical soundtrack from Howard Shore is an amazing piece of work, which rightfully won the Oscar for Best Score. His score is mesmerizing, poetic, serene, and beautiful. Every note that plays captures the pure emotion of the presentation. Even in the louder scenes, and there are many of those to be sure, Shore’s score never loses its effectiveness and sheer potency. Make no mistake about it, this Dolby Digital Surround EX presentation is a sonic marvel of amazing proportions. If you want to hear what a state-of-the-art soundtrack sounds like, look no further than this DVD.
Old 05-21-04, 12:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
sounds like they don't have a clue and seems the same as any other Dolby Digital DVD. I am sure the DTS on the upcoming Extended Edition will blow this away as the other 2 have already with these editions.
Old 05-21-04, 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by scott1598
sounds like they don't have a clue
What the hell makes you say that? Widescreen Review does some of the best DVD testing in the business. I trust their opinions above all else.
Old 05-21-04, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Green Jello
What the hell makes you say that? Widescreen Review does some of the best DVD testing in the business. I trust their opinions above all else.
Because he knows as well as most do that the DTS track on the upcoming EE will most likely blow this DD track out of the water so proclaiming it as the Everest of DVD sound is a little premature.
Old 05-21-04, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Kal-El
Because he knows as well as most do that the DTS track on the upcoming EE will most likely blow this DD track out of the water so proclaiming it as the Everest of DVD sound is a little premature.
Perhaps the dts will be the Mauna Kea?

I was under the impression that the Dolby on The Two Towers fairly matched the dts and actually improved on it in places (more bass).
Old 05-21-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Uhg... here comes the inevitable DD vs. DTS match. My $0.02: beautiful sound is in the ear of the beholder. Some people have the 'golden ear' and some people think everything in surround sound sounds good. Damn I used the word sound alot.
Old 05-21-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DTS owns all!
Old 05-21-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pro logic owns all...seriously though, ROTK sound isn't as good as Master and Commander DTS. Sound isn't as wide. None the less, still a good soundtrack.
Old 05-21-04, 02:50 PM
Banned

I didn't say that the EE version DTS wouldn't sound any better. I was just pointing out the the basic Dolby release looks to sound amazing. With that in mind the EE should be even better yet.
Old 05-21-04, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Kal-El
proclaiming it as the Everest of DVD sound is a little premature.
How can that be premature? Last time I checked the calendar, it's still May. The EE isn't due out until the end of the year. There is nothing wrong with calling it the best release thus far.

Last edited by Green Jello; 05-21-04 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-21-04, 03:34 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm in total agreement with Green Jello. WSR does the best reviews and technical testing of any publication in print or otherwise.

As I have the dvd already for weeks now, I can also confirm that DD track on ROTK is one of the BEST, if not the best I've ever heard !!!! Right up there with M&C and Blade II which I consider one of the best.

I am looking forward to see how much better the DTS track could possibly be. My 6.1 system (B&Ws / SVS) eagerly await the EE.
Old 05-21-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by matrixrok9
Pro logic owns all...seriously though, ROTK sound isn't as good as Master and Commander DTS. Sound isn't as wide. None the less, still a good soundtrack.
Agreed. Master & Commander DTS is the best track to come out this year, but let's see when ROTK DTS comes out! Hopefully it will not have wussy LFE like TTT EE.
Old 05-21-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Green Jello
How can that be premature? Last time I check the calendar, it's still May. The EE isn't due out until the end of the year. There is nothing wrong with calling it the best release thus far.
Eh. It's all subjective anyway. Just in this thread you already have someone else saying that M&C had a better soundmix. I guess it all comes down to semantics. Because in the article you quoted, the last line says, "look no further than this DVD" that doesn't come off as "best so far" and IMO, that's a wee bit arrogant knowing that there will ALWAYS be something better down the line--a few months after as a matter of fact.
Old 05-21-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have heard it and it sounds amazing.
Old 05-21-04, 03:53 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
Agreed. Master & Commander DTS is the best track to come out this year, but let's see when ROTK DTS comes out! Hopefully it will not have wussy LFE like TTT EE.
If the DD track during the Mumakil scene is any indication you'll be far from disappointed with the LFE.

I have a dedicated HT in my basement and my wife heard the bass from upstairs in the master bath. She was looking into the mirror when she noticed it quivered to the stomping of the Mumakils. I'm sure listening to it at reference levels and my SVS had something to do with it.
Old 05-21-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by steebo777
Uhg... here comes the inevitable DD vs. DTS match. My $0.02: beautiful sound is in the ear of the beholder. Some people have the 'golden ear' and some people think everything in surround sound sounds good. Damn I used the word sound alot.
Well said.

It also most certainly depends on the room acoustics and the equipment.
Old 05-21-04, 04:20 PM
Banned

I agree with the TTT:EE track. It seemed the only major LFE hit was when the Uruk'hai blew the hole in the Helm's Deep wall with the suicide bomber run.
Old 05-21-04, 05:30 PM
Banned

I have the ROTK DVD...and it is...without a doubt...the best sounding DVD available...thunderous bass...nearly nonstop Surround action...dialog is extremely clear and audible...channel seperation...the best sounding DVD...I cant really see the DTS track improving...but we'll have to see...

also...the picture quality is astonishing!
Old 05-23-04, 04:09 AM

Its nice to see the evolution of DVD and that producers are mixing dvds for serious home theater enthusiasts. Makes me feel better about my $5,000 home theater setup knowing that its getting more of a workout every year.
Old 05-23-04, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh
I have the ROTK DVD...and it is...without a doubt...the best sounding DVD available...thunderous bass...nearly nonstop Surround action...dialog is extremely clear and audible...channel seperation...the best sounding DVD...I cant really see the DTS track improving...but we'll have to see...

I read your post aloud, and I sounded....just...like....William Shatner.
Old 05-23-04, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by QuiGonJosh

Must...type..like...this!

Widescreen Review's....reviews are definately some of the most comprehensive...and on the money reviews out there...when it comes to reviews.