DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

considering a new TV

Old 05-20-04, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
considering a new TV

hi all. sorry this may be a bit long so bear with me. thanks

my 10+ years old 27" sony is dying. reddish tint keeps coming up when i'm watching tv or dvds; really annoying. this tv has been pretty good and hasn't had much problems. now given that, i don't know if it's worth it taking it in for diag and try to fix it or just get a new TV? projector?

and if a new TV is a better way to go, i'm considering a budget of about $1000.

any brand recommendations that is quality driven? i know sony are good because i have one, but they cost quite a bit. how are the samsungs?

HDTV or HD-ready TV?

16:9 or 4:3 or anything else?

what else should i be looking for? this tv isn't really for vid games or anything like that..., mostly cable and dvd watching, and it will, like current tv, be hooked up to Onkyo home theatre.

as for projectors, i know a budget of $1000 is just a drop in the bucket, but i know some expensive projects doesn't cut it and lack performance because it's not bright enough plus what's being projected isn't crisp / sharp.

any suggestions / recommendation is appreciated. thank you much in advance for your time.

Last edited by wakanaiyo; 05-20-04 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-21-04, 03:28 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

First of all - Do not fix your tv. Any cost would be too much considering you can but a new Toshiba flat screen 27" for $199 right now at Bestbuy.com. It even has component inputs for progressive scan dvd players.

I am not in the market now but I would start by checking out the forums at:

http://www.avsforum.com/
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/

For $1000 you actually have many good options and the options are growing weekly as video technology is becoming more accessible for reasonably priced high quality gear. You can go HD ready rear and front projection and well as some direct view sets within your budget. I am not a sony fan. I have had great experience with Mitsubishi and Tosiba direct view set as well as a Panasonic front projector.

Personally, I am saving up for a flat panel which I will puchase in a couple of years . If I needed a tv today I would buy something like the Toshiba above. I did the front projector thing in my last home and loved it. Unfortunately, I don't have a dedicated room in my new home. Lastly, whatever you do, purchase a claibration DVD such as Avia or Video Essentials. You won't believe how it improve the picture on displays because in many cases they are inproperly configured to begin with.
Old 05-21-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Have you gone to Costco to look around?
Old 05-21-04, 06:33 PM
Banned

I just bought the Samsung 43 inch DLP and I love it. I'll never go back to washed out CRT and LCT RPTVs.

If I were you I'd spend some time reading up on and looking at the Samsung DLP sets.
Old 05-21-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 405 Likes on 350 Posts
Originally posted by Captain Pike
I just bought the Samsung 43 inch DLP and I love it. I'll never go back to washed out CRT and LCT RPTVs.

If I were you I'd spend some time reading up on and looking at the Samsung DLP sets.
Tough to get one in the $1000.00 range.

I'm also surprised about your comment of the "washed out" CRT's. Most folks still say a properly set up CRT RP give the best picture out there. Course some also say to truely set up a CRT it needs to be done by a pro. Tho I would agree that picture quality is subjective. And I would suggest that in addition to "reading up", I would also go look (but go look at a higher end store where hopefully the CRT's are set properly).

For a $1000.00 I would look at some of the RP CRT's. Unless space is an issue, then a tubed (Wega) would be nice.

http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_23594.htm
http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_22655.htm
Old 05-24-04, 03:19 PM

thanks for some of your inputs. i've gone to costco and sam's club this past weekend and didn't find anything great. phillips wide screen, mitsubishi big big screens, nakamichi plasma, and couple sonys. not sure what else to look for. but i'll keep doing some researching...