Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

New Godfather DVD release...is it worth it?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have always hated the Godfather III, and declined to buy the original box set because of this movie's presence. I figured they would eventually release them individually, and now part 1 is available and part 2 announced. My question for those of you who bought the single release of the original film that just came out is how does it compare in terms of quality and extras to the set that is already available?
Old 05-20-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
The individual release is the exact same disc as was included in the box set. It has the same picture and sound quality, and the same commentary. What you miss out on by purchasing the movies separately is the bonus disc of supplements exclusive to the box.
Old 05-21-04, 11:55 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say pick the box set up, you get 2 great movies as well as the bonus disk. I actually liked part 3, don't know why people are giving it so much slack.
Old 05-21-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Yes, when this was first announced, Paramount gave the impression that they were re-doing the previous transfer because they weren't happy with it...a few months ago, we found out that this is the exact same DVD they released on the original set. By the time they release part two, you'll probably be able to find the box set for cheaper than the cost of the two single releases.
Old 05-22-04, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Fok
I'd say pick the box set up, you get 2 great movies as well as the bonus disk. I actually liked part 3, don't know why people are giving it so much slack.
I think you mean flak, not slack.

Not many people give G3 any slack!
Old 05-22-04, 03:18 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, the disc image (the graphic printed on the disc) is slightly different than that of the box set, and the copyright date is 2004 instead of 2001.

So there *are* differences.