Reload this Page >

Which is your favorite Disney Treasure?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-04, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which is your favorite Disney Treasure (of all 11)?

And why?

Last edited by wordtoyamotha; 05-19-04 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-19-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I've barely touched them yet, but I'd have to say Front Lines. These are very important historical commentaries that haven't been seen in a long time. It really puts things in perspective. To me, this is what the treasures series should be about.
Old 05-19-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mickey Color Vol. 1
Mickey Color Vol.2
Mickey Black/White
Goofy
Donald
On the Front Lines

I just like the cartoons alot.

I also own the other tins but I hate them. I should've never bought them
Old 05-19-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by kar10
I also own the other tins but I hate them. I should've never bought them
I'm sure there will be a lot of people who will be more than happy to buy them from you.
Old 05-19-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I've only bought the two Mickey in Living Color titles. I know those cartoons, but not really any of the others in the other sets, which is why I didn't buy them.

However, I have to say, I wish I had bought all the Wave 1 titles, so I could resell them.
Old 05-19-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
these came at such a bad time. i really didnt need them or have the money for them(but thats what CC's are for) but i know iam going to have kids some time with in the next few years and the stuff thats being put out not is just terrible. so iam buying these as an investment in my children :-P

i dont have much of a reference point yet as i just got wave 3 today but the donald and mickey look promicing
Old 05-19-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tomorrow Land was the first one in the three waves that really piqued my interest enough to pick it up.
and after watching most of it I feel pretty certain that this is 'the one' for me.

reasons why are:

- i don't really care for the Disney characters
this set probably has the least amount of material that is commonly thougt of as 'typically Disney'
- i enjoy vintage educational material, like the Bell Science series, the Educational Archives shorts, the jam Handy shorts they used to play on MST3K, etc.
the material in this set is very much in line with those, mixing educating facts with interesting narratives
- i enjoy 50's era pop culture science fiction- from ECs sci-fi comics, to movies etc.
its a lot of fun to me to look back at what people expected the future to look like
- i love the illustration style(s) used in the shorts. very 50s fine line modernistic, and mostly atypical of what most people recognize as the Disney 'house style'.
the work here has far more resemblence to Chuck Jones than WD.
- i love the sense of the 'appreciation of intelligence' behind these pieces.
-i appreciate the "optimistic futurism".
it's a refreshing antidote to what has become the cliched 'dark futurism'.
there were really interesting dystopian sci-fi universes coming out of movies in the 70's, but it seems like ever since Blade Runner, every future scenario has to be dark and dingy and depressing.
while that seems more and more likely, the bright optimism that Disney and the others display in these comes off like a nice cool glass of lemonade on a stifiling hot, muggy day.
Old 05-19-04, 07:15 PM

This one is hard to answer. I like Tomorrowland because of the EPCOT film, which anyone interested in Walt Disney knows is something very, very special. On the whole, I think I'll have to go with Disneyland USA.
Old 05-19-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by ckolchak

Tomorrow Land was the first one in the three waves that really piqued my interest enough to pick it up.
and after watching most of it I feel pretty certain that this is 'the one' for me.

reasons why are:

(excellent reasons snipped)

Thank you so much for that well-thought out review. I was in Walmart today and had it in my hands but put it back at the last minute. But your reasons are exactly why I was interested in it in the first place. Guess I'll be picking it up within a day or so.
Old 05-20-04, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by sracer
Thank you so much for that well-thought out review. I was in Walmart today and had it in my hands but put it back at the last minute. But your reasons are exactly why I was interested in it in the first place. Guess I'll be picking it up within a day or so.
I'll second that. I wanted to know why people liked a certain one the best so I could decide which ones to pick up.

Keep 'em coming!
Old 05-20-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My persoanl favorite is the Davy Crockett tin - pure nostalgia factor for me.
Old 05-20-04, 11:02 AM
Banned

Davy Crockett is my favorite. It brings back many pleasant memories of childhood.
Old 05-20-04, 01:05 PM

On the Front Lines for finlly being able to see some truly rare Disney animation that was important for its time.

I would put Tommorrow Land second for many of the reasons posted above.

Next would be character animations in no particular order.
Old 05-20-04, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't have it in my hands yet...ordered them last night...but On the Front Lines looks to be the best of any DVD in all waves.
Old 05-20-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only one I've bought or even considered buying is On the Front Lines ... it is facinating to see cartoons tackling the weighty subjects of the time.
Old 05-20-04, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I love Silly Symphonies. No special reason, just great cartoons (The Ant and The Grasshopper, the Dancing Bones one, and many others). It's one of my favorite DVDs ever.
Old 05-20-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm watching Front Lines right now. It's quickly become my favorite of the Treasures.
Old 05-20-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really got a kick out of watching "Victory Through Air Power" from the On the Front Lines Collection. Even though it doesn't have any relevance today, it's still facinating to see something like that that was made right in the middle of WWII. It's not like textbook stuff that was made after the fact, this was made when people were right there in the middle of it and no one really knew how the war was going to turn out. It also manages to avoid being dry and boring which is good.

I also got a good chuckle out the educational shorts like "Cleanliness Brings Health". It makes me want to build my own latrine in the backyard.
Old 05-20-04, 03:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I really like the whole Treasures series as a concept. Perfectly conceived and executed, something rare from the Disney company as a whole these days.

It's hard for me to pick a favorite because I haven't delved much into Wave 3, or even some I own from the earlier waves. I've always been a sucker for stuff that goes behind the scenes of Disney animation and the parks, so Tommorow Land and Behind the Scenes at Walt Disney Studios would have to be up there. On a side note, if you're a fan of this kind of material and for some reason you haven't picked up The Fantasia Anthology, run out and get it right now. It features some of the most fascinating and insightful material on the production of classic Disney animation available.

I also love Silly Symphonies because they're so lovingly done ("The Old Mill" and "The Ugly Duckling" are worth the price of the set alone).

I've watched several of the films on Disney on the Front Lines and I love the set as a historical document. Plus, I imagine "Food Will Win the War" would really mess you up if you watched it while under the influence of illicit substances. It is possibly the most bizarre Disney short EVER (tied with the one about conserving bacon fat...yeesh).

In summation, I hope that they continue to produce more Treasures even though Roy Disney won't be there to oversee them. I'd really like to see a series of sets containing the "True Life Adventures" nature films (which were largely produced by Roy back in the day).
Old 05-20-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Laughed at the most:
1. Goofy

Like the since of history (Collecting):
1. Silly Symphonies
2. MM in Color
3. MM in B&W
Old 05-20-04, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Chronological Donald because he's my favorite cartoon character .
Old 05-20-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haven't dipped into the new ones yet (but have purchased Tomorrowland and On the Front Lines). Davy Crockett has been my favorite thus far, followed closely by Disneyland USA.
Old 05-22-04, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I picked up Tomorrowland last night and started watching it this morning with the kids. The preservation and restoration of the films is wonderful. I've only watch the first and part of the second "episodes" and they have already exceeded my expectations. WOW! Great stuff. I'm going to look for Disneyland USA and Davey Crockett next.

Oddly enough, I have no interest in the animated sets.
Old 05-22-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"On the Front Lines"

WW2 cartoons are great. Heavily dated but it is (as pointed out before) good to see work from a time when people were unsure if we would win. Stark contrast to pretty much eveything i've ever seen on The History Channel

Plus "Der Feurhers Face" is just a funny song.

I'm kinda sad i missed out on "The Complete Goofy"
Old 05-23-04, 03:02 PM
Banned

I own them all and here's my ranking:

1. Silly Symphony: Truely the greatest animated shorts ever. Different characters nearly every time. Different themes every time. Different styles. Just music and image...pure cinema

2. Davy Crockett: One of the best things ever made for television. Rarely seen because usually all we see are the feature film cut-down versions.

3. Tomorrowland: SHOCKINGLY GOOD!!! First I've seen of these.

4. Mickey Mouse in Black and White: Really important vintage stuff

5. On the Front Lines: So rare. Very educational

6. Disneyland USA: great to have the opening day live show

7. Mickey in Color: some priceless shorts and The Band Concert which could be the best musical short ever

8. Chronological Donald: Great character

9. Behind the Scenes: Hit-or-miss. Reluctant Dragon and the first TV episode are great. The others are no so great. Much of the footage is repetitious of clips on other discs

10. Mickey in Color II: Not as great as his early years

11. Goofy: Not my favorite character. Many of his shorts stink...although a couple are priceless.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.