Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about Progressive Scan

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I picked up a new Wega with 16:9 enchaned mode. For reference, it's a 20" 4:3 standard flat screen. I have the DVD player plugged into the component video inputs to utilize the enchanced mode feature.

My DVD player does not have progressive scan. I was curious if the picture would be better if I used a progressive scan player on this tv, or if the progressive scan was a feature that was better only on HDTVs.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-18-04, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't think the WEGAs had progressive scan modes. If somebody can confirm that they do, I'll be ordering some GameCube and Xbox cabels tonight.
Old 05-18-04, 10:00 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Your set won't accept a progressive signal.
Old 05-18-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are there any $500-$800 sets that will?
Old 05-18-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any HD ready set will accept and benefit from progressive scan.
Old 05-18-04, 12:50 PM
Banned

Go Big ... and Go Wide... and go HD - then you'll fully benefit from ProgScan
Old 05-19-04, 10:47 AM

I have an Toshiba 57H83 rear projection HDTV. I also have an AMW Progressive-Scan DVD Player and I notice no difference when using the dvd player in progressive scan mode and regular mode. I guess the progressive scan mode makes the picture a little brighter and washed out, which actually makes the picture a little worse. I wonder if I had a higher quality DVD player if the picture would be a lot better in progressive scan mode? I should probably upgrade to a higher quality DVD player such as a Toshiba. Maybe then I'll notice a difference.
Old 05-19-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by The_Cube
I have an Toshiba 57H83 rear projection HDTV. I also have an AMW Progressive-Scan DVD Player and I notice no difference when using the dvd player in progressive scan mode and regular mode.
Most likely, the deinterlacing chip in your DVD player is no better than the one in the TV. A better-quality DVD player would make a difference.
Old 05-19-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by The_Cube
I have an Toshiba 57H83 rear projection HDTV. I also have an AMW Progressive-Scan DVD Player and I notice no difference when using the dvd player in progressive scan mode and regular mode. I guess the progressive scan mode makes the picture a little brighter and washed out, which actually makes the picture a little worse. I wonder if I had a higher quality DVD player if the picture would be a lot better in progressive scan mode? I should probably upgrade to a higher quality DVD player such as a Toshiba. Maybe then I'll notice a difference.
I've always held the opinion that unless your HDTV will display a 480p signal that there is little reason to buy a progressive scan player for the sole purpose of deinterlacing. Unfortunately many TV manufacturers have removed this feature to save money. On your Toshiba you should be able to select either 540p or 1080i for the display scan rate. Since you can't display 480p natively the signal no matter how well it was deinterlaced is being scaled by your Toshiba to the higher scan rate. This tends to negate any benefit of having a progressive player especially if you choose to display at 1080i. What's the point of sending the TV a progressive signal if you're just going to convert it back to interlaced? Now if you find that the 3:2 pull down is really bad on the TV when playing certain DVDs then a player that handles these problem discs better could be worth it to you.