Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Practice 5/16

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Practice 5/16

I'd totally forgotten that Elanore had a kid. talk about ignoring something for a few seasons
Old 05-16-04, 09:40 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 268 Likes on 203 Posts
I lost it when Denny came out in a wheelchair to cross examine that woman
Old 05-16-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Alan is going have so many options on "Fleet Street"...
Old 05-16-04, 10:00 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 268 Likes on 203 Posts
"Your honor this is disguised Bush bashing, I ask that counsel be disbarred immediately"

I thought Denny Crane stole this episode.

I don't remember Lake Bell looking this good on Miss Match
Old 05-16-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So Bobby's firm's doors are finally closed for good.

Eugene almost has a heart attack when his first case has Alan representing the defendant, Eugene recuses himself from the case very hastily.

The case was just a springboard for David E. Kelley to get more of his views on the Iraqi situation out in the open.

Jamie goes to work with Jimmy (stays an associate because Jimmy's partner is still a bit on the violent side, and she passes on the partnership offer.)

Eleanor is just going to take some time off and be a mom.

Alan pushes Tara away, and seems to be gravitating towards Sally. Sally made the mistake of giving Rebecca DeMornay's character some pot to help her with the pain cause by getting punched by Eleanor in the last episode. Sally got put on case filing duty for a week.

The last scene had Bobby sitting in the old firm's conference room, with tears almost welling up in his eyes.

----------

Lake Bell was also in "buddy/bartender" mode on "Miss Match" so she wasn't ever called to be the hottie on the show.
Old 05-16-04, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
that Iraq diatribe pissed me off. I don't watch tv to be bombarded with politics
Old 05-16-04, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

totally missed that

Originally posted by Patman
The last scene had Bobby sitting in the old firm's conference room, with tears almost welling up in his eyes.
Old 05-16-04, 11:37 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe there has been a single episode all season where David E. Kelley hasn't interjected his own personal anti-Bush bias into the scripts. We get it already, you don't like the President and you disagree with his administration's policies...talk about beating an issue into the ground. It bothers me whenever a show's creative team exploits their own characters in an attempt to use them as tools for preaching their rhetoric at me, and rarely has a television program taken such a condescending attitude toward anyone in it's audience who doesn't agree with the political agenda set forth by it's creator.
Old 05-16-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I feel somewhat bad for the actors who have to deliver DEK's political rants.
Old 05-16-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was pretty disappointing. Shore and Crane are hilarious, and I look forward to the new series, but that was about it. I didn't feel particularly moved over the departure of the characters or the closure of the firm, and I can't really say I'm going to miss them that much. The political grandstanding was eye-rollingly pathetic, considering how much we've tolerated this season, and especially in the show's final episode when focus should be on the characters, not DEK's politics. I really hope he gets over himself during the offseason, so the new series isn't bogged down with all of that.

das
Old 05-17-04, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess you guys all missed that the "political rant" was delivered by opposing counsel and was called out by William Shatner's character (and in a hilarious way). It would have been one-sided had it just layed out there, or was said by one of the main characters we are supposed to root for, but I think the way it was presented was pretty funny.
Old 05-17-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The chambers scene with Eugene was classic with the 1-2 punch of "Denny Crane" and Alan asking for a hug.
Old 05-17-04, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the plaintiff's attorney made the worst, most irrelevant summation I have ever seen. She should have been disbarred for that. DEK should have his law licence revoked but fortunately he doesn't practice.

I do hope next year Eugene makes occasional appearances on Fleet Street in his capacity as a judge.
Old 05-17-04, 06:33 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally posted by mikehunt
totally missed that
It went a little something like this with Louis Armstrong in the background (though I do not know the song)

Old 05-17-04, 08:09 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
The political grandstanding was eye-rollingly pathetic, considering how much we've tolerated this season, and especially in the show's final episode when focus should be on the characters, not DEK's politics. I really hope he gets over himself during the offseason, so the new series isn't bogged down with all of that.

das
I have a feeling it's just going to get worse when the shows return shortly before elections.
Old 05-17-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
What a disappointing ending to it all. This was one of my favorite shows for years before it took a horrendous downturn. I thought this season was redeeming, but of late, it had gone down the tubes again. I would have preferred for the show to end about two years ago, but it didn't.

Frankly, I don't know why Kelly just didn't make this year Fleet Street and end The Practice altogether. To use the series finale as the springboard for your new series is appalling. And the politcal diatribes need to cease immediately.
Old 05-17-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Eleanor is just going to take some time off and be a mom.
I read somewhere this week (Entertainment Weekly? Damn... I can't remember) that ABC is considering letting DEK spin off a sit-com (!) with the Eleanor character.
Old 05-17-04, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I read that too. Eleanor just screams "I'm funny, dammit!" But I think I'd watch her as a boxing trainer, though...maybe some K-1 action...
Old 05-17-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I have to admit that I laughed when she gave the knowing head-nod to that rebel judge a few weeks ago. Although, I suspect that wasn't a comedic scene.

das
Old 05-17-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jimmy has more comedic potential than Eleanor does, especially after teaming up with Big P----.
Old 05-17-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

cool little gif, thanks
I totally thought it odd that he was in the episode earlier but not at the end, and it turns out it's just because I somehow missed it

Originally posted by HN
It went a little something like this with Louis Armstrong in the background (though I do not know the song)

Old 05-18-04, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
I read somewhere this week (Entertainment Weekly? Damn... I can't remember) that ABC is considering letting DEK spin off a sit-com (!) with the Eleanor character.
Kind of like Lou Grant and/or Trapper John, M.D. in reverse.
Old 05-18-04, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've only been watching this show since Shatner came aboard and will continue to watch the new show next season. It wasn't exactly so much of a finale as a "see you next season in the new show".

I agree with mikehunt: I watch the news to get my political bashing, not this. Even when Denny Crane balances the argument out, I'd rather it not be there at all.
Old 05-18-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 246 Posts
Is Shatner going to be a regular on the new series in the fall? I've NEVER watched The Practice before, but tuned in to some of it just to catch Bill...I think he's still fun to watch after all these years - I'm suprised Hollywood doesn't use him more in TV and movies.

"I don't defend perverts" - great line!
Old 05-18-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just in the advertising for "Fleet Street" they list 4 actors, and Shatner is on the listing (along with James Spader, Lake Bell, and Rhona Mitra).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.