Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Baaad Music!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-04, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baaad Music!!!!

I always hear that "RAP" or or heavy Metal or just any other music which I feel is adult has an adverse affect on children.

Who's fault is this? The musicians well I don't think so. It's the fault of the parent for allowing the child to come in contact with it.

Agree or Disagree?
Old 05-15-04, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So, I guess blasting Slayer while I take the kids to school isn't such a great idea??

My 7 year old boys are starting to discover early Metallica (you know, before they sucked). Gotta counterprogram that easy listening / country crap my wife plays.
Old 05-15-04, 07:23 AM

It's the same old scapegoat theory, the media loves to pin violent behaviour in children to movies, music, etc. How bout we blame the violence on CNN since they repeat real life violent images 24 hours a day?.
Old 05-15-04, 07:29 AM

Well being a teen in the 80's and hearing all of that before I always believe it's not the music's fault or the artists. It's the parents. If they raise their kids properly it doesn't matter what they watch on TV or listen to. Back in the 80's I listened to Metal and nothing but. In the 90's I learned a new respect for band's like The Beatles,Stones, Zep,Skynyrd..... Now today I listen to everything from Motley Crue, Poison,Helix,Warrant to Frank Zappa, Big Sugar, Keb' Mo', Grateful Dead..... If it's good to me I will listen to it and buy it. It's just a form of entertainment and is not meant to be taken seriously. Parents need to spend more time with their kids early on and show them right from wrong and then let them decide for their own selves. I was lucky that once I reached a certain age I never had religion shoved down my throat. I did the church thing til 11 or 12 then I made up my own mind. Same thing with my taste in music and movies. I knew right from wrong, real and fiction. Music and Movies never caused me to kill someone or myself. C'mon.....why would an artist put messages in songs telling fans to kill themselves?? Then they wouldn't have fans to buy tickets and their next LP. Take it at face value. It's entertainment.
I think i just lost track of what this topic was about.
Old 05-15-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
The reason the media latch onto these things is that heavy music such as metal, hardcore, and rap are prominent imagery for some very bad scenes. The music doesn't cause the behavior, which is largely the fault of the parent (although there are some kids who are just *******s). It's adopted by these groups becuase of it's adult nature and the fact it pisses off everyone else.
Old 05-16-04, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Celtic Bob
Well being a teen in the 80's and hearing all of that before I always believe it's not the music's fault or the artists. It's the parents. If they raise their kids properly it doesn't matter what they watch on TV or listen to. Back in the 80's I listened to Metal and nothing but. In the 90's I learned a new respect for band's like The Beatles,Stones, Zep,Skynyrd..... Now today I listen to everything from Motley Crue, Poison,Helix,Warrant to Frank Zappa, Big Sugar, Keb' Mo', Grateful Dead..... If it's good to me I will listen to it and buy it. It's just a form of entertainment and is not meant to be taken seriously. Parents need to spend more time with their kids early on and show them right from wrong and then let them decide for their own selves. I was lucky that once I reached a certain age I never had religion shoved down my throat. I did the church thing til 11 or 12 then I made up my own mind. Same thing with my taste in music and movies. I knew right from wrong, real and fiction. Music and Movies never caused me to kill someone or myself. C'mon.....why would an artist put messages in songs telling fans to kill themselves?? Then they wouldn't have fans to buy tickets and their next LP. Take it at face value. It's entertainment.
I think i just lost track of what this topic was about.

As a child of the 80's myself i totally agree with you word for word on everything you posted here...
Old 05-16-04, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
You are in Iraq, and this is what you are concerned about?
Old 05-17-04, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Deftones, Esq
You are in Iraq, and this is what you are concerned about?
My guess would be perhaps he'd like to ALSO be able to get his mind off things. Give him a break.

And to answer the question, it's the childs parents problem. If they educate the child properly and are open, even if the child listens to this at an early age, they will be well-rounded enough to handle it without being a fool.
Old 05-17-04, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Celtic Bob
Back in the 80's I listened to Metal and nothing but. In the 90's I learned a new respect for band's like The Beatles,Stones, Zep,Skynyrd..... Now today I listen to everything from Motley Crue, Poison,Helix,Warrant to Frank Zappa, Big Sugar, Keb' Mo', Grateful Dead.....
I love that just about all these bands are ones that have been singled out as being evil to the proper upbringing of a child. I also think that they're all great (except for the ones that suck )

As far as the topic goes, it's tough to pinpoint cause. I think that people want to have an easy answer to problems. I also don't like it when people are too quick to blame the parents. Often times it's a number of factors. I do believe that music is usually a result as opposed to the cause. Happy people don't get bummed listening to the Cure. But music might heighten a mindstate.
Old 05-17-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What I don't understand is why it's always music like rap and metal that are always singled out as problematic. If you ask me, the one genre that generally poses the biggest problem is country music. That's right. I said it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't just outright hate country music because it's terrible (though that is a large factor). No, the reason I think it to be the most problematic is because it instills a sense of blind patriotism in its listeners. Songs like "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue (The Angry American)" are the perfect example of this. I'm not saying that having pride in your country is a bad thing, but releasing songs like this at a time when the USA is invading and destroying another country is irresponsible and just wrong. But I suppose it serves as a means of control and keeping that level of pride beyond where it should be.

Of course, this is really just my opinion, most of which is based on my own prejudices and limited experience with country music (which I intend to keep limited).
Old 05-18-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

do it... do it...