Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

How is Fulci's "The Beyond aka Seven Doors of Death"?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-04, 11:33 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

thanks for comments...
Old 05-14-04, 12:49 PM
MSD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a fantastic film, great atmosphere and some very cool effects. Italian horror is an acquired taste though.
Old 05-14-04, 01:02 PM

what do you mean an acquired taste? isn't it just gore and scare...
Old 05-14-04, 01:43 PM
Banned

"The Beyond" has fantastic atmosphere, stunning cinematography and set design, bizarre plot (but one that works), excellent music and some choice gore and set pieces.

Sure some of the FX (like the spider look dated (and the DVD prints are sometimes too sharp for the films FX and some of the make up effects/dummy work is shown clearer than it ever would have even on it's original negative)..but overall this has some of the best Euro splatter ever seen.
From the nasty as hell chain whipping (man, that whole opening just DRIPS classy atmospheric horror!) to the truly outstanding, whoop for joy, head explosion...this sucker delivers.

Delightfully messy zombies and some auperb visuals (the blind girl on the bridge, the dead taking over the hotel as the lights in each room come on) cap off this classic slice of Fulci.

The 'Anchor Bay'/'Grindhouse' DVD is absolutely essential and delivers a truly awsome presentation of the film (with a meaty new 5:1 soundtrack), and excellent extras including a colour version of the opening, and the very funny comm track featuring David Warbeck, recorded just before he died.

Italian horror films are indeed an acquired taste..The whole way they are made, the feel of them, the plot/scripts/dialogue (and bare in mind the dubbing) are pretty much off kilter compared to American horror cinema. Take Fulci's excellent "Zombi 2". It may have come about because of "Dawn of the Dead"...But it has almost nothing in common in the way it's made or plays.

Some people love Euro horror...other hate it.
Old 05-14-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by scott1598
No, your thinking of American horror.
Old 05-14-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Well, yeah, mostly.

It's an acquired taste in that, a lot of people aren't going to "get" it, while others will eat it up. It's like anime, kung fu movies, or HK action flicks in that regard.

Italian horror movies are, to the trained eye, very different from their American counterparts. You can't really go into them looking for a tight, logical story, great acting or great characterization. (Which doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but...)

They rely more on atmosphere, gore, and dream logic. Often, especially in the case of "The Beyond," they're more like a series of set pieces loosely strung together.
Old 05-14-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...well... to temper the (perhaps somewhat over) enthousiastic replies given above, know that "America's pre-eminent movie critic" (yes! it's Roger Ebert!) gave this movie one half star out of four...

. . . . . .
Old 05-14-04, 06:25 PM

hendrik...you are such a sullen individual!...regardless i was looking for "viewers like me" reviews and comments
Old 05-14-04, 07:20 PM
Banned

Oh dear...Ebert. Yeah right. You only have to see his moronic review of "Blue Velvet" and his hypocrotical remarks on any exploitation film NOT wriiten by himself to not care what he says.
And his work on the two Russ Meyer films is 3rd rate at best.

I hardly think anyone who really knows about horror/exploitation/cult film will care what Ebert says about a film like "The Beyond".
Old 05-15-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

hendrik...you are such a sullen individual!...regardless i was looking for "viewers like me" reviews and comments
...well... how about this positively glowing review, then (of the movie itself, and of the Anchor Bay DVD)...?...

. . . . . .
Old 05-16-04, 11:52 AM
Banned

I have to agree with Ebert's review. Italian horror may be an acquired taste, but "The Beyond" is just painfully bad, IMO.
Old 05-16-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought The Beyond was great though!

It was the first Fulci film that I actually was able to get into and enjoy!

Previouslly I had seen a terrible pan & scan version of Zombie which bored me to death. Then I caught a couple others and was equally unimpressed.

Then took the chance with The Beyond and was blown away!

Fulci is not a good director I will be honest with. Most of his films are crap,but something came together with The Beyond and worked beautifully.

I have since given Zombie another chance,this time in widescreen and it is actually a good film. But The Beyond is miles better in my opinion.
Old 05-16-04, 08:53 PM

The Beyond is a fantastic horror film...forget about the USA vs. Italy thing. it's good horror and thats all that counts. I'm very happy with my AB limited tin. I rank it just above Fulci's City of the Living Dead as far as personal faves go.

I'm a Fulci fan so I love even the drek. dont pay no attention to me, man. I buy everything that is Fulci.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 05-16-04 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-16-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
I love Fulci's work and I think The Beyond is a great movie overall. I do like the atmosphere it creates, and most of the special effects. I do agree with some people though, it isn't for everyone so rent it or something first.
Old 05-17-04, 11:15 AM
Banned

It's horrible. How people can compare Bava to Fulci is a total mystery. Yeah it has gore, but it is so fake looking, the music is ridiculous and the story has more non-sequitor than a Barbara Streisand movie.

If this was made in American, it would have been shown on MST.
Old 05-17-04, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Scot1458
It's horrible. How people can compare Bava to Fulci is a total mystery.
Fulci is no Bava or Argento....but he is Fulci. nobody likes him...you either love him or hate him, and you wont convert a hater.

if anyone here wants to experience Fulci, you need to go in with an open, forgiving mind.......and have a high appreciation level for a little cheese. this might not have much clout with anyone here....since I'm a Bruno Mattei fan as well. I keep all my options wide open.