Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Angels powerplay 'Power Play' got 3.9/5 and demolished UPN.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-04, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overnight ratings for S5x21. According to Mediaweek, last night's episode 'Power Play' got 3.9/5 and demolished UPN.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mediaweek/c...og_insider.jsp

Sticking with the WB and UPN, the second-to-last episode of Angel outdelivered a repeat of UPN special America's Next Top Model: The Runway Ahead by 105 percent in the overnights (3.9/ 5 to 1.9/ 3), 2.65 million viewers (4.10 to 1.45 million) and 250 percent among adults 18-49 (2.1/ 5 to 0.6/ 1) at 9 p.m.

WOW!!!! Ratings do more talking to studios then save campaigns, come on WB you idiots!!Angel has gotten all this exposure, it may be the wrong method, but canceling a show, fans advertising the hell to save it, may have just improved ratings and show promise if there was another season.
Old 05-13-04, 11:13 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Let it go. Angel is done.
Old 05-13-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Are you that excited that the second to last episode of Angel beat a repeat of a show that I don't remember being that popular to begin with? I love Angel, but I wouldn't consider that a victory.
Old 05-13-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice spin.
Old 05-13-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Flay
I have to agree with Flay. The only thing left to do is curse the WB execs on a daily basis.
Old 05-13-04, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Flay

I'm more with James Marsters on this, the whole Save Angel campaigns has given a big boost to the show and how it's recongised by many, made the cast memebers feel better about it, and will help the prospects of a tv movie or likely feature film down the road, get a bigger budget etc If a show like Fire Fly with a short run can be turned into a film or more, then all the exposure that Angel got since it's cancelation will help the Buffy verse, the fighting was not in vein, Joss Wheadon sponsors it.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/insider/040513b.asp

TVGO: What do you think of fan outrage over the cancellation?

Marsters: It's felt really good. I always joke that I spend so much time making the show that I'm surprised to find out people watch it, but that's really true. The thing I love about theater is the interaction between the audience and the actor. I've missed that. This outpouring feels like a little of that response. And it's not wasted effort. If it doesn't save the show, it [still] means that any project that comes from this universe will be paid more attention to. If there's a movie, it may get a bigger budget.

http://www.saveangel.org/index.php?story=149
quote:

Nothing is on the slate yet, according to Whedon. It's up to fans to maintain the pressure. "Part of me is still thinking about TV movies," he said. "The WB did propose the idea of doing something ... but it was kind of offhand. There was interest in that, but I haven't heard anybody really pursuing it."

If there are Angel fans keepnig the pressure on, leave them be, everything to gain, nothing to lose, better attitude then just let it go. I'm content with 5 seasons of Angel, great, but apart of me wants to keep fighting in a way also.

Last edited by SeanValen; 05-13-04 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-13-04, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally posted by spainlinx0
Are you that excited that the second to last episode of Angel beat a repeat of a show that I don't remember being that popular to begin with?

Seriously. 2nd to last episode of a cult favorite getting 2x the ratings of a repeat show on UPN. That's doesn't sound all that great to me.
Old 05-13-04, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
Seriously. 2nd to last episode of a cult favorite getting 2x the ratings of a repeat show on UPN. That's doesn't sound all that great to me.
Forget UPN then, Angel looked very good compared to Smallville.
Old 05-13-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I have a question for all you Angel buffs - if the show ended well, why wouldn't you be happy? Do you want 20 seasons of Angel? Shows run their course. If Angel had a good run for 5 seasons and had a satisfying ending, why wouldn't you just be happy?
Old 05-13-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally posted by SeanValen

How are ratings over the course of the year. How are they relative to their time slots (vs other competition). You can't just point to one week and say a-ha. Now that Angel is winding down, I would expect it post higher ratings than it normally does.
Old 05-13-04, 02:00 PM

How are ratings over the course of the year. How are they relative to their time slots (vs other competition). You can't just point to one week and say a-ha. Now that Angel is winding down, I would expect it post higher ratings than it normally does.
Given how WB market Angel, which is poorly, and given how much exposure it's gotten without WB since it's cancelation, I'm not surprised it's gotten better.

Also the nelsons are a dumb way of measuring the ratings anyway, since WB stations aren't everywhere. The Angel cast have been everywhere, doing interviews and stuff, much more marketing then WB gave it before April 13th.
Old 05-13-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Star Relieved At Angel's End

David Boreanaz, star of The WB's Angel, told CNN Headline News that he's relieved that the show is finally coming to an end after five seasons, and that there would have to be a good reason for him to put Angel's black trenchcoat back on for the reported Angel TV movies-of-the-week under consideration for next year. "There's been talk about films, board games—let me see—video games," Boreanaz told the news network. "Everything, across the board. These characters that [executive producer] Joss [Whedon] has created will live forever."

Angel is ending May 19, though reports have suggested that The WB may be considering one or more TV movies to extend the show's story next year. But, Boreanaz said, "I think whenever they want to revisit that character and bring it to a higher plateau, I would only be interested if the bar was [raised] a lot higher."
Old 05-13-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If Angel beat a show on one of the big three networks (CBS, NBC, or ABC), then that's something to get excited about. Beating a show on UPN is nothing.
Old 05-13-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Josh
I have a question for all you Angel buffs - if the show ended well, why wouldn't you be happy? Do you want 20 seasons of Angel? Shows run their course. If Angel had a good run for 5 seasons and had a satisfying ending, why wouldn't you just be happy?
That's all I really want. When I first learned Angel was going away I was really beat. I even donated a bit to the Save Angel campaign, but now I just want a nice final run of episodes (which they gave me). I really cannot complain. Five seasons is really a good run for this type of show (or any show really in today's tv world). The only thing I wish is that they new this was to be the last season going into season five.

Look what happened to Buffy after season 5? Hell Stargate for that matter too (Jonas, grrr). Five seasons seems to be the sweet spot.
Old 05-13-04, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If Angel had a good run for 5 seasons and had a satisfying ending, why wouldn't you just be happy?
Apparently you haven't seen the spoilers thread.
Old 05-13-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by SeanValen
Smallville had a 4.4 last night. The WB actually lost viewers after Smallville when Angel came on. If Angel only had a 3.9 How is that a good comparison?

I like Angel.. But reality is reality. It had a good run, let it die.
Old 05-13-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Y2K Falcon
Apparently you haven't seen the spoilers thread.
No, I read it, it sounds decent enough to me.

At least it wasn't all a dream
Old 05-13-04, 03:09 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

The reason we want another season so bad is that the next season was already planned out and was probably going to be the final season anyway. They wanted one more season to wrap everything up. I think they only had something like one episode left to film when they found out this would be their final season.
Old 05-13-04, 03:12 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I don't even have a UPN affiliate available to me.
Old 05-13-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nny
The reason we want another season so bad is that the next season was already planned out and was probably going to be the final season anyway. They wanted one more season to wrap everything up. I think they only had something like one episode left to film when they found out this would be their final season.
I'm almost glad that didn't happen. Look at how poorly they handled the last season of buffy, and they knew for a while that SMG wasn't coming back after that season. Then again, Angel has always been better at handling season long archs than Buffy and perhaps they would learn form their mistakes.
Old 05-13-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
If Angel had a good run for 5 seasons and had a satisfying ending, why wouldn't you just be happy?
That's just it - this season (iow, the series) is ending with
Spoiler:
a freaking CLIFF-HANGER.
They had an arc for the 6th season already planned out (much like the cliff-hanger at the end of 3 leading to the arc of season 4). If it was a fitting ending, I'd be fine with it - but it's not.

Added spoiler tags - Static
Old 05-13-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know, talking about how the series ends without spoiler tags is bound to piss somebody off.
Old 05-13-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by slop101
That's just it - this season (iow, the series) is ending with
Spoiler:
a freaking CLIFF-HANGER
. They had an arc for the 6th season already planned out (much like the cliff-hanger at the end of 3 leading to the arc of season 4). If it was a fitting ending, I'd be fine with it - but it's not.
They mentioned there will be TV movies. So hopefully some of those 6th season plots will get incorporated into the TV movies. I think either the show gets renewed or not, as long as we get the TV movies, it won't be a loss.
Old 05-14-04, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This has to be one of the funniest threads ever. Angel demolished a lame ass reality show on UPN that happened to be a rerun. HAHAHAHAHA!