Coupling Series 4 Starts Tomorrow 5/10/04

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Accoding to BBC's website, Series 4 starts tomorrow on BBC3.

Here's hoping it wont take long to follow to BBCAmerica for us Yanks.

Last edited by bothanspy; 05-09-04 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-09-04, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I think it starts here sometime in June. They are rerunning S3 right now on BBCA. Can't wait.
Old 05-10-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that's great news! I had no idea it was starting so soon.

According to TVTome, Season 4 will begin airing on BBCAmerica on June 6th, just after Season 3 comes out on DVD on June 1st. They'll be airing all seven Season 3 eps on May 30th. I've really missed this show; I can't wait until Season 4 starts.

Rob
Old 05-10-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Wow, this is fantastic news. I can watch Season 3 on DVD and then catch Season 4 on BBC America soon after. Freaking awesome!
Old 05-10-04, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool news

The last I heard, we're losing Jeff this season? Is someone replacing him?
Old 05-10-04, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Of course some new character is replacing Jeff.
Old 05-10-04, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Jeff is gone?
Old 05-10-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

-new season.
-no jeff.
Old 05-10-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking forward to the DVD (and seeing the Spider-Man dance all I want). Awesome that BBCAmerica will show the episodes relatively soon after the UK release. Thanks for the source, RobCA; surprisingly, www.bbcamerica.com isn't prominently advertising an air date for series four, but is promoting the marathon.

An article in the Sunday Times about the new season:
The One to Watch
Coupling, Monday, BBC3, 10.30 pm

Coupling has always been a show about real life repeated as farce. Right from the beginning, the writer, Steven Moffat, shamelessly based the characters of Steve (Jack Davenport) and Susan (Sarah Alexander) on himself and his wife and, if she minds, it is too late to object now.

This is the fourth series, and the revelations are getting ever more intimate. Susan is pregnant, and the birth (in the final) episode is lifted directly from life. "The scene is verbatim. It's what I said and what she said, word for word, just for the hell of it," says Moffat. Similarly, Steve's nightmares about the baby were also Moffat's. "If you take most men aside when their wives are pregnant, most of them are pretty frightened and worried and faintly disgusted by the whole experience." Indeed, Steve's level of anxiety is so high, he is expecting the birth to resemble the John Hurt moment from Alien.

Coupling returns on good form. It has lost Richard Coyle, who played Jeff, but acquired Richard Mylan as the new doofus character, Oliver. There still lots of cheap jokes - "My phone is on vibrate. It's no substitute" - but the show has a spring in its step, as if anxious to prove that the Americans were wrong.

Last year, the network NBC acquired the rights to Coupling and subjected it to that peculiar form of hype that almost guarantees a show will crash to earth. Failing to survive its own publicity, it lasted just a few weeks. Moffat is maintaining a dignified distance. Contrary to reports, he says he did not have that much input into the version that got on the air. "I've got a T-shirt made to that effect." He says he had been hoping to make an awful lot of money, so not doing so was disappointing, especially the way the series was subjected to a double whammy. "The critics who like it and wanted to think they were in the know said it wasn't as good as the English version, and everybody else said it wasn't as good as Friends." Both, it seems, were right.

It has left Moffat predictably cynical about American television. "It's all about advertising space. You have got people interfering at every level, and these are people you wouldn't trust with light shopping. They are seriously idiots. I know we complain about our executives in Britain, but we really don't have idiots running TV here, and in America, actually, yep, they do. Complete twits. It's mind-boggling. And there are so many of them. You could toss a hand grenade into the middle of the room and not take out anybody who matters."

Not that Moffat need worry about returning to America for work. He has other projects to keep him busy, like working on Doctor Who, for instance. He says it will be much like it as always was but with more laughs and less shaky walls. "There's no point in doing it if it isn't the same, so it will be the way you remember it when you were 11 - though I'm not sure if Bacofoil will take over the world," says Moffat. As it happens, he had written a Dalek into episode two of Coupling before he was offered the Doctor Who job (Oliver, runs a sci-fi book shop) which just goes to show how busy the time lords are even now.
And a picture of the Series Four cast:

Last edited by RKillgore; 05-10-04 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-10-04, 11:20 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Interesting. Oliver looks a little bit like a well-groomed Jeff.

Can't wait for June 6!
Old 05-12-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not bad for an opening episode. I'm not sure if I'll like Oliver, we'll see.

Need more rescuing by Susan.
Old 05-13-04, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't think that it was too great. too much like other episodes in seasons past. I am not sure about Oliver yet either.

Are they going to give a reason for Jeff's departure, other than just acknowledging the fact that he is not there anymore, like they did this ep?
Old 05-13-04, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jeff's new calling is riding in airplanes, trying to save women with breast implants from altitude changes.
Old 05-13-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, he is going to the island Les Bos, right? Rather optimistic
Old 05-13-04, 10:30 AM

I thought this episode was pretty good. It was a bit too much like the others the way they tied everything together, but I liked the way they did it. I'm not sure about Oliver yet either, I wonder how they'll work him into the main cast more as the season goes on? I agree about Susan, she should be rescued more often.
Old 05-13-04, 09:51 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
not a bad episode, i miss Jeff too

jury's still out on Oliver
Old 05-13-04, 09:55 PM

this show does the alternate angle replay thing better than any other i've seen

Been some classics in the past, the foreign girl episode especially
Old 05-14-04, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Compare the Susan/Jane 'recue' vs the over hyped Rachel/Wynona 'meeting' and you immediatley see why Coupling is way way better than Friends.

I keep thinking that the gimmick show formats will get old, but it's always funny and fits together nearly perfectly. Having the same joke be funny in two totally different ways is genius.

D
Old 05-21-04, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Original Desmond
this show does the alternate angle replay thing better than any other i've seen

Been some classics in the past, the foreign girl episode especially
the girl with two breasts?
Old 05-21-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, that's one of my favorite episodes of TV (all time).
Old 06-16-04, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The final episode for season 4 was pretty good, and the final closing scene sent shivers down my spine as

Spoiler:
Steve finally realizes his life as he knew will never be the same again. Susan's epidural scene was great.

Didn't know the BBC allowed the F-bomb, but Sally used it to good effect many times. Patrick will have a lot on his plate next season.

Jane can be such a sexy enigma at times. Oliver has a huge challenge on his hands as well.

Jeffrina was disturbing as hell.
Old 06-17-04, 09:44 AM

i just think this season went too fast

needs another few episodes
Old 06-17-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it was just hitting its stride, and then, poof! Have to wait another year for the next season. Gah.
Old 06-17-04, 10:45 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Out of curiosity, how are Americans seeing the whole thing? Do you have British friends who ship you videotapes? Are there satellite services that carry BBC? Is it available already on R2 DVD?

I'm watching on BBC America, so I'm only up to week 2. Pretty funny -- the group phone call was classic Coupling.
Old 06-17-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The season is over already? Holy Cripes! I didn't realize that. I thought that there was at least one more episode left. I am crushed. Just as I was starting to get used to Oliver!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.