Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Why I stopped watching Friends

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why I stopped watching Friends

The Sports Guy on Page 2 of ESPN.com had the most dead on article that actually explained to me why I stoped watching Friends.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/040507
Old 05-07-04, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
There was a point in the season after the Vegas trip where I realized Ross was constantly annoying and the Chandler/Monica relationship (basically turning Chandler into a female) made me want to vomit.
Old 05-07-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you need an article to explain to you why you stopped watching Friends?

I find it hard to believe that the guy who wrote that article doesn't know any guys who watch Friends. More than likely, he just doesn't know any who will admit it.

Rob
Old 05-07-04, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some funny quotes in there:
Suddenly, male characters were confessing "I love you" while the studio audience went bonkers -- just a room full of females shrieking in delight, like one of those Oprah episodes where Oprah gives away blenders to the entire audience.
While I agree with some of his comments, I'd disagree that the downfall was as early as season 2. That might be the start of the first valley, but there were many more peaks in the coming years that made it worth tuning in to before it became a nearly unwatchable mess.

das
Old 05-07-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a chick and I think I've seen 3 whole episodes of friends.
Old 05-07-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chandler was just becoming dumb and Phoebe would be the type of girl i would love to choke.......
Old 05-07-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I quit watching Friends for a while after Monica and Chandler got together. That made it a chick show more than anything else they ever did. For every Rachel and Ross drama there would usually be a funny Chandler and Joey subplot.

I watched most of this season, partially because it was the last one and partially because it wasn't as bad as it was a couple years ago.
Old 05-07-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by raven56706
Chandler was just becoming dumb and Phoebe would be the type of girl i would love to choke.......
Exactly I never made it through a whole episode, but god damn how can anyone stand an irritating twat like Phoebe? It just never made any sense to me. Glad it's over, but I'm sure there will be years and years of reruns.
Old 05-07-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
There was a point in the season after the Vegas trip where I realized Ross was constantly annoying and the Chandler/Monica relationship (basically turning Chandler into a female) made me want to vomit.
I liked Ross up until "The One With The Football". He was so MEAN and SNOOTY in that episode, I never cared for his character again. But overall, (seven good seasons out of 10) FRIENDS was an above-average sitcom.
Old 05-07-04, 02:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I never stopped watching the show, but Season 2 was the low point for me. It suddenly went from "Friends" to "The Ross and Rachel Show."
Old 05-07-04, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I never could get past the very first episode. Couldn't relate to any of the characters (couldn't stomach the three male leads, either) and found the theme song extremely grating. Haven't missed it since.
Old 05-07-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RobCA

I find it hard to believe that the guy who wrote that article doesn't know any guys who watch Friends. More than likely, he just doesn't know any who will admit it.
Yet he admits himself to watching The O.C. of all shows.
Old 05-07-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cleaver Why I stopped watching Friends
The reason I stopped watching it is because it has ended.
Old 05-07-04, 03:44 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Eplicon
I never could get past the very first episode. Couldn't relate to any of the characters (couldn't stomach the three male leads, either) and found the theme song extremely grating. Haven't missed it since.
How sad your life must be if you've never had a friend who'll be there for you when the rain starts to fall.
Old 05-07-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bigjim25
The reason I stopped watching it is because it has ended.

That won't stop me from watching it, just from watching new episodes.

Rob
Old 05-07-04, 04:02 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I hated the show from day one, but had to watch every episode in order to ensure that my rants on the internet are accurate.

Seriously, though -- I'll certainly agree that it had moments when it was less funny and moments when it was more funny, but to complain that it was too "soap opera-ish" (which is what the "I hate the Ross/Rachel storyline" or "Chandler's character chanegd too much when they made him fall in love with Monica" or any of the myriad other "This plotline is too chick-ish" complaints boil down to) is just silly. Friends was soap opera-ish from Day One when Ross started pining for Rachel while simultaneously dealing with his pregnant lesbian ex-wife.
Old 05-07-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of course Chandler's character changed! Basically, in the beginning, his character consisted of a funny guy that always cracked jokes about never being able to find a woman, and never having sex.

Once with Monica, he had both a woman and sex. So of course his character is going to change.

But he always had that uncomfortable thing about him in serious situations at the beginning AND at the end of the show. I wouldn't say much changed, besides the fact that this is 10 years, and I think everyone changes a little in that period of time.
Old 05-07-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I read that 7 out 8 households DO NOT watch Friends, which is fairly surprising considering how high the ratings are.

I like the show. Maybe I liked it more because it was one of the few things that my financee and I could both enjoy. I think it's funny, and I'll own all the seasons on DVD. I'm sure once I finish working my way through them (almost half done now), they won't come out again for awhile.

What this "writer" misses is that for many people, Friends was a show they could personally identify with. These were people growing up and experiencing bad relationships, bad jobs, bad luck and were just normal (except for the gigantic, rent controlled apt).
Old 05-07-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd rather read an article that explains why people feel the need to tell everyone that they hate Friends and are so proud that they never watched it (or tried to watch one episode and decided that it sucked). I seriously would like to know why.

It's not like it was the only thing in history that was vastly over-hyped. In fact, it deserved some of that hype because it was a ratings winner for ten years and a pop culture phenomenon.
Old 05-07-04, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by suziq999
I'm a chick and I think I've seen 3 whole episodes of friends.

Me too. I seem to remember seeing some eps way back in the 90's when Ross had the hots for Rachel or something.
Old 05-07-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Why I stopped watching friends...

Because it aired it's last episode..
Old 05-07-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stopped watching shortly into season 2. It was like watching 1/2 an hour commercials for "The Gap" and "Dockers" . And where was the BLACK friend?
Old 05-07-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Friends is like Dharma and Greg or Wings... diverting enough if it's 3AM and you can't sleep, but nothing to get worked up over.
Old 05-07-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I simply never, EVER found this show to be remotely funny. I could laugh out loud to an episode of a show like Seinfeld or Martin , but never found this humorius or appealing.
Old 05-08-04, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i used to watch every week with some friends of mine. probably through season five, maybe six. then they moved about a half hour drive from me. i didn't have a car and the hour commute for them sucked so we stopped watching together, and i stopped all together. i've probably watched three espisodes since. it's sad really. just didn't feel like watching friends without my friends i guess.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.