Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

How should I organize/label all my unlabeled CDs?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-04, 09:40 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I first got a burner 5 years ago, I started the terrible habit of not organizing or labeling anything. Every once in a while I'd write a small, not too descriptive label on some of them with a marker. That's it. I have probably 100 cds that I'm not really sure of what's on them.

How should I go about labeling these? Should I just buy cd labels and print them off? Any other suggestions? What do you do?
Old 05-06-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd just pop them in one at a time and see what's on them, then write on them. That's what I do. I started off with printable labels when I got my first burner (about 7 years ago) and it becamse rather tiresome, not to mention expensive in ink and stuff. I prefer just writing on them with a sharpie now. I can usually remember pretty well what is on each disc by leaving some kind of note on it. I don't go and list everything, but just a few things that should remind me of what's there.
Old 05-07-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sharpie on top does the trick for me. I have maybe 300 CD-R's and it's getting to the point I can't keep track of them. So, I took my CD label sheets and cut out little thin strips to put on the side of the thinline cases so I can read them on my CD rack. Works.
Time consuming, but I just do this while watching a TV show.
Old 05-07-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good call. I have about that many I'd say, I just throw them all into 3 big cd binders and flip through the pages until I find what I'm looking for hehe.
Old 05-07-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I write non-descript labels like "music" or "songs" with a sharpie, and stack them in a slippery pile on my desk and/or floor.

In my head, they are neatly organized with printed labels.
Old 05-07-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sharpie is the answer. I would avoid gummed paper labels as they are known to degrade the playability over time, even tho they can look pretty sweet with the right artwork.

-Gunshy