Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Spend My Money! (I'm taking the HDTV plunge...)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, so I'm doing an upgrade on the ol' home theater and I'm finally getting a new TV. I'm looking for a slim rear-projection (not plasma) 16x9 screen size in the 40" range... 43", 46", etc. I'm not really locked into a price, although $1500 is a rough estimate of what I'm expecting to pay.

I do no gaming, so connecting an X-box, etc. is not an issue. The TV will be used primarily for watching DVDs and laserdiscs (with some DirectTV broadcast). So, I'd want a TV that could take a 2.35:1 laserdisc (or DVD-R of same) and have it not look like total crap.

I'm a bit overwhelmed at the selection of sets and options out there. After a bit of research, I'm leaning (slightly) toward the Toshiba 46H83. Anyone have this... pros? cons?

Anyone want to suggest a different model? I'd appreciate any help I can get so I don't make a $1500 mistake.
Old 05-06-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: Spend My Money! (I'm taking the HDTV plunge...)

Originally posted by bboisvert
I'm a bit overwhelmed at the selection of sets and options out there. After a bit of research, I'm leaning (slightly) toward the Toshiba 46H83. Anyone have this... pros? cons?

Due to size/placement issue, I'm seriously eyeballing the Toshiba 42H83.

The Toshiba's seem slimmer than comparable Mitsi's, and they (Toshiba) supposedly have better stretch
Old 05-06-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Toshiba 51H83 and love it. The stretch modes work great and my (soon-to-ship) HDTiVo will fit in nicely.
Old 05-07-04, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest visiting a few stores and comparing PQ between the sets. The wife and I visited a local electronics store last year and decided on a Hitachi 51swx. We visited the store with the intent to buy a Toshiba. I believe the 51swx has been replaced by the 51s500. Circuit City sells this model for $1,850:
link

One positive for the Hitachi, in our limited testing, is that the picture was very good from many different viewing angles. On other models (don't remember which ones), the picture faded quickly as we moved to a different viewing angle. This was an important consideration for us. When researching RPTVs last year, Pioneer was considered the best; Mits and Hitachi were conisered to be in the second tier.

You'll most likely be disappointed with your laserdiscs on any widescreen TV, compared to HDTV programming or anamorphic DVDs.
Old 05-07-04, 10:12 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
If there's any way you can get into the somewhat less slim 50"+ range I would recommend it.

I started looking at sets under 50" (such as the Mitsubishi 42") for my first widescreen and now they look miniscule. After living with it for a while even the 53" I got seems fairly small to me. But if you're looking for a theater-like experience it's definitely the smallest I consider providing it.
Old 05-10-04, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for all the responses so far... I'm still looking around, but given the space I'm working with and the features/reviews I've read, I'm still looking at the Toshiba 46H83.

Anyone out there actually have this specific model? Or does anyone know of any reviews/threads on other sites that discuss this? I've only found a couple of helpful links so far (Sound & Vision review, etc.)
Old 05-10-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe HomeTheaterSpot talks about specific models, either in reviews or in the forums.
Old 05-10-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fantastic site, Chew. Thanks!
Old 05-11-04, 10:42 PM
Banned

Size Does Matter!

Do not scrimp on teh Big Screen - Go as BIG as you can fit - becasue you will be sorry afterwards that you didnt

Find ot your usual sitting distance from where it is going to be placed - typical rule of thumb is a viewing distance of 2 times your screen size

I am just under that mark my 65" set and am so glad i went for the bigger set - after getting it here and the amount of distance I sit from it, I am so glad that I didnt go with my original instinct of 55"...in fact - if I could have, I would have gone bigger

trust me - this is one situation and price point in your life where SIZE DOES MATTER

its better than going to the movies
Old 05-13-04, 09:26 AM
Cool New Member

I have a 53" Panasonic (PT53WX53 no screen shield) that I purchased late 2002 for $1499.00 (no tax and free shipping) from soundcity.com.

It has a depth of ~2 ft.

I also have an xbox (lots of fun on the widscreen).

No problems, great picture, tons of inputs.
Old 05-24-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Argggh... so I had pretty much decided to go with my original choice. But now I see that a new model is coming soon.

A few sites (including Amazon) are now listing the Toshiba 46H84. Does anyone know the release date for this? (Toshiba's own site doesn't seem to list it.) If it is within a month or two, I may just wait this out...
Old 05-24-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
Argggh... so I had pretty much decided to go with my original choice. But now I see that a new model is coming soon.

A few sites (including Amazon) are now listing the Toshiba 46H84. Does anyone know the release date for this? (Toshiba's own site doesn't seem to list it.) If it is within a month or two, I may just wait this out...
I believe late June or early July is what I've heard.
I'm holding off for the 46H84.....
Old 05-24-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by 12thmonkey
I believe late June or early July is what I've heard.
I'm holding off for the 46H84.....
That'd be just about perfect. I guess I'll hold off too...

Thanks!