Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Velvet Revolver Touring & Play L.A.'s KROQ Weenie Roast [VR & others on live stream]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Velvet Revolver Touring & Play L.A.'s KROQ Weenie Roast [VR & others on live stream]

Old 05-05-04, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VELVET REVOLVER To Play L.A.'s KROQ WEENIE ROAST In June - May 5, 2004

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...wsitemID=22117

According to guitarist Slash's official web site, http://www.slashonline.com/ VELVET REVOLVER will play the KROQ Weenie Roast in Los Angeles on Saturday, June 12. No further information is available at this time.

So the Weenie Roast is on June 12th! That's good to know.

Chris
Old 05-05-04, 04:49 PM
Banned

I wonder if there will be any overweight drunk bikers at the show.
Old 05-05-04, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool. I love Weenie Roast.

It's getting the ticket part that drives me insane.
Old 05-14-04, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the Velvet Revolver tour begins....

I caught the Velvet Revolver show in St. Louis and it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Scott Weiland came out in with an old-style police officer's hat on, a red tie and megaphone.

Slash even brought out the top hat at one point.

The band rolled through mostly originals as well as several G'n'R tunes including It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone and Used To Love Her.

They also played a couple STP songs.

Weiland came out in the crowd and had about five girls holding him up by the a** as he sat and sang. Later, he dove into the crowd and someone took his earpiece, which the band later stood on stage (with lights on) and offered to give free tickets to the KC show, backstage passes, and signed stuff for the person that returned the earpiece.

Weiland said they were recording the show in KC and couldn't do it without this piece of equipment (odd that they wouldn't have a backup).

Duff thanked the crowd for welcoming the boys back in town since GnR was banned in the early 90s after Axl Rose had an altercation between his boot and some guy's face I think.

Weiland danced, strutted, shimmied and the like most of the night, and occasionally he would lie down. They played a slow song and he said he wrote it about how he almost lost his wife, and but he got her back and he said "it was the best thing that ever happened to me."

Weiland also said "Take a good look boys and girls, because you're never going to see this again, at least not in this venue"

The place was firecode flipping packed, and tickets were being scalped for a chunk outside.

Weiland did a nice rendition of Used To Love Her and said how much nu-metal sucked and that they were gonna get back to "good blues-based American rock'n'roll"

Duff and Weiland were in phenomenal shape, both looked as if they were preparing for some sort of triathlon.

They had the volume jacked up extremely high also.

A band called Silvertide opened up and they signed with Clive Davis' J Records.

They have a classic rock sound with a lead guitarist who can absolutely tear it up. They were impressive. Silvertide opens for Van Halen after the VR tour wraps up.

VR was late (of course) and played for about 80 minutes.
Old 05-14-04, 08:25 AM

Cool, sounds like it was a good show.
Old 05-14-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm seeing Velvet revolver next week... I absolutely can not wait!

MATT
Old 05-14-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds cool! Thank you for the review.
Old 05-14-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: the Velvet Revolver tour begins....

Originally posted by Frank TJ Mackey
I caught the Velvet Revolver show in St. Louis and it was a hell of a lot of fun.
What did you think of The Pageant?
Old 05-14-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: the Velvet Revolver tour begins....

Originally posted by B.A.
What did you think of The Pageant?

I like The Pageant, I go there quite often.

I mean you can't beat being right on top of the band no matter where you're at.

I've heard a few people complain about the sound, but it doesn't bother me.
Old 05-14-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Axl should be crying.
Old 05-15-04, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I heard on the radio today that Weiland just picked up a DUI. Any truth to that? Better than heroin, I guess.
Old 05-15-04, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by Scorpio
I heard on the radio today that Weiland just picked up a DUI. Any truth to that? Better than heroin, I guess.
He should just quit driving.
Old 05-15-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was refreshing to see Weiland with about a half-dozen bottles
of orange Gatorade on the stage.

If there's anybody that needs to have absolutely nothing to do with drugs and drinks, it's Scott Weiland.

Last edited by Frank TJ Mackey; 05-15-04 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-16-04, 12:41 PM
DAC

I haven't heard any of their songs yet, but Guns 'N Roses was/is my favorite band. I never really cared for Stone Temple Pilots much and since Weiland is the lead singer how does Velvet Revolver sound? Are they G'NR-ish or STP-ish or do they have an all new sound?

Thanks,

DAC
Old 05-16-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by DAC
I haven't heard any of their songs yet, but Guns 'N Roses was/is my favorite band. I never really cared for Stone Temple Pilots much and since Weiland is the lead singer how does Velvet Revolver sound? Are they G'NR-ish or STP-ish or do they have an all new sound?

Thanks,

DAC
I think they sound like Gn'r with a Weiland singing, but that is mostly because of Slash's guitar work. Certainly not alternative rock, just ROCK!
Old 05-17-04, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

they just sound like a really good dynamic rock band

they played some really hardcore stuff on about 2 songs, i mean Weiland was screaming his f**king head off at one point.

these may work out after all because, at least on stage, they really seemed to enjoy playing with each other musically, Weiland would go up and dance all around Slash and Duff, and even the Suicidal Tendencies guy.

Don't expect anything groundbreaking, just a solid rock album, i think that's what we'll get.
Old 05-17-04, 11:55 AM
Mod Emeritus

I think the album has been reviewed by UK's Classic Rock magazine. I read it at the bookstire because I let my subscription lapse!

FWIW it got something like 3/5 stars and I recall the reviewer much preferring the second half.
Old 05-17-04, 05:23 PM
DAC

Cool, I'll give them a shot when they come out in a few weeks. Can't go wrong with a solid rock album.
Old 05-21-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The show tonight was amazing... they blew the motherufcking roof off the joint... I'm going deaf because of it, but DAMN, what a great show. If you get a chance to see the Revolver...DO IT, you will not be disappointed... 1 thing's certain... Contraban is going to be SICK... I can't wait for the album.

MATT
Old 05-23-04, 03:38 AM

It's kinda bittersweet seeing half of Guns onstage without Axl there running around, ranting between songs (most of which actually made sense....seriously, i have listened to tons of gnr concert recordings...the man was pretty intelligent and well-spoken, believe it or not), and singing to the point it sounds like he's going to cough up a lung. I don't care what people say about him, the man is/was super-talented, and when he was on, there was no one like him. As a frontman I think he was as magnetic and unpredictable as Mick Jagger or Jim Morrison. He's made mistakes, sure, but he was never boring. Maybe Chinese Democracy will come out sometime in my lifetime, if he'll stop trying to make it perfect and just put the damn thing out.

But getting off that soapbox, as for VR, I'm THRILLED to see Slash and Duff back together. Duff looks great these days, especially considering that his pancreas almost exploded back in the mid-90s from years of excessive alcohol consumption. I used to get irritated by Scott Weiland's writhing around and glam rock strutting, but he is a good singer so I've gotten used to it (hey, it's better than Scott Stapp and his Jesus posing). Let's hope he makes it through this tour without getting arrested. Being on a tour with a former hardcore addict like Slash doesn't seem like such a good idea, but I think Slash is clean for good now, and maybe Scott's more committed to being sober than I'm giving him credit for. I hope the tour's a big success and brings back some good hard rock to the mainstream.
Old 05-23-04, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not only does the song and the video for the VR single that is getting MTV rotation suck, but Scott looks like a complete JUNKIE! That guy should be in a damn hospital.
Old 05-23-04, 06:15 PM

better than any other so called rock video on mtv. show these other pathetic rock bands such as nickleback and creed what rock is.
Old 05-24-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gnradd21
It's kinda bittersweet seeing half of Guns onstage without Axl there running around, ranting between songs (most of which actually made sense....seriously, i have listened to tons of gnr concert recordings...the man was pretty intelligent and well-spoken, believe it or not), and singing to the point it sounds like he's going to cough up a lung. I don't care what people say about him, the man is/was super-talented, and when he was on, there was no one like him. As a frontman I think he was as magnetic and unpredictable as Mick Jagger or Jim Morrison. He's made mistakes, sure, but he was never boring. Maybe Chinese Democracy will come out sometime in my lifetime, if he'll stop trying to make it perfect and just put the damn thing out.

Old 06-12-04, 07:19 PM

KROQ concert - free live stream

http://www.kroq.com/kroqnow/kroqnow.html

Sweet.
Old 06-12-04, 08:06 PM

Cool. High quality stream too.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.