TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville 5/5

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smallville 5/5

"Talisman", Episode #320.

When a Kiwatche Indian (Nathaniel Arcand) steals a mythic knife from the caves, he is bestowed with superpowers similar to Clark's, causing the young man to believe he is the legendary Naman.

Cast: Tom Welling, Kristin Kreuk, Michael Rosenbaum, Sam Jones III, Allison Mack, John Schneider, Annette O'Toole, John Glover, Nathaniel Arcand.
Director(s): John Schneider.
Producer(s): Alfred Gough, Miles Millar.
Writer(s): Ken Biller.

Original Airdate: May 5, 2004.

-----------------------------------------

Groan, another "cave" episode. When Smallville is finally cancelled, I will still be wondering how they managed to mess up a show about Superman.
Old 05-05-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
I think next season is it for this show. The only reason I tune is is for the lead in to Angel. With out Angel there I'm most likely done with the show. It's a shame cause they can put on some good episodes but they throw out far to much filler.
Old 05-05-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, that does sound downright terrible. Let's play the How Well Do You Know Smallville quiz:

Will it be Lana or Chloe who falls in love with this Indian before he puts her in terrible danger?
Will the Lana/Clark "we can't be together" scene take place at the Talon or in the barn?
Will the uncomfortable scene-ending camera-linger be on Lana or Clark?
Will Pete do anything other than carry Clark's jock?
By how many factors will the Lex/Lionel story dwarf the episode's main plot?
Before which commercial break will Lionel suspiciously confront Clark in the caves?
Will it be Clark, Lana, or Chloe who shows up at the mansion to ask Lex for help?

Whoever gets the most correct will win a chance to meet the server at our local Houlihann's who looks exactly like Pete, except with an apron instead of a bookbag.

das
Old 05-05-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Somebody needs to blow up those damn caves already.
Old 05-05-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Lana
Barn
Lana
Yes (posably an injury that will be ignored next week)
Factor of 3
The break closest to the half hour
Clark
Old 05-05-04, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Lara Means
Somebody needs to blow up those damn caves already.
It seems like they are dragging that storyline for an awfully long time. Wish they could resolve it and move on to another story.
Old 05-05-04, 02:08 PM

Neither
Kent Farm
Clark or Lex
Pete IS Clark's jock
Clark
Old 05-05-04, 07:59 PM

Hmm, Lex keeping Clark from becomming a tyrant, thats a new way of looking at it.
Old 05-05-04, 09:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I actually liked this EP, it wasn’t as pointless as most of this season has been.
I thought they progressed Clark’s storyline with both, him saving more than just his friends who happen to get into trouble and his contemplation of him being some sort of universal savior, and the development of the reasoning behind “the greatest criminal mind of all time.”
I thought for once, it wasn’t just “Superman’s Creek”…
Old 05-05-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's some spooky mojo that Jonathan was wielding on Clark.

Typical Lex thinking: as long as someone else holds the power they'll be a tyrant.

Lana, please just get on the plane and go to Paris.

I'm surprised Chloe hasn't joined Friends Anonymous with all the crap she's been dealing with recently.

The main subplot wasn't all that interesting, even with the short super-powered fight looked a bit on the cheap side.
Old 05-05-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The part where another person gets bestowed with superpowers thus making him a formidable opponent to Clark wasn't as interesting as the fleshing out the prophecy/mystical elements and Clark's part in it. Why does Clark still think his role on Earth is still to take over the planet, even though last week's episode gave him a slightly different perspective on the matter? Jonathan once again has to do that nature/nurture talk to tell Clark that who he is and will become is not predestined.

I liked the additional foreshadowing with Clark & Lex's destiny (even though Clark predictably still values his friendship with Lex to not even consider him to be a possible future threat). The other two subplots revolving around Lana and Pete seemed to be there just so they could get screen time, it seems. Although it does seem like this episode is the beginning where Pete is being phased out from the show.

I didn't look carefully enough, but it seemed like the Kiwatche Indian's hairstyle at the beginning, with the spitcurl and all, looked Superman-esque.
Old 05-06-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• das Monkey •

Well, that does sound downright terrible. Let's play the How Well Do You Know Smallville quiz:

Will it be Lana or Chloe who falls in love with this Indian before he puts her in terrible danger?
Will the Lana/Clark "we can't be together" scene take place at the Talon or in the barn?
Will the uncomfortable scene-ending camera-linger be on Lana or Clark?
Will Pete do anything other than carry Clark's jock?
By how many factors will the Lex/Lionel story dwarf the episode's main plot?
Before which commercial break will Lionel suspiciously confront Clark in the caves?
Will it be Clark, Lana, or Chloe who shows up at the mansion to ask Lex for help?

Whoever gets the most correct will win a chance to meet the server at our local Houlihann's who looks exactly like Pete, except with an apron instead of a bookbag.

das

Looks like I got schooled. 95% of the episodes are the same, and they pick this one to go off track ... thanks. Instead of Lana/Clark, we get Lana/Lex. Instead of Lionel/Clark in the caves, it's Lionel/Clark in the barn. And for once, it's the Lex/Clark story dwarfing everything else. To recap:

Neither
Neither
Neither
I'd argue no, but we'll give him the benefit of the doubt since he rarely does anything
If you consider the main plot to be tracking the knife man, 3.
Switch caves with barn, and it's the 3rd (or almost precisely the 30 minute mark, as predicted by Timber)
Lana

As such, I declare that all participants are winners, and I am the sole loser for picking the one episode this season that didn't suck.

das

P.S. Loved the red blanket/red cape moment.
Old 05-06-04, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes pretty good episode, Liked Lex's comment at the end. Makes sense sort of. I mean its a comic book story so we *know* supermans good, but what if it wasnt a comic book story? Lex in general seems to be a decent fellow.
Thank fuggin god Lana is leaving, I want to present her with the plane ticket.
Old 05-06-04, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
P.S. Loved the red blanket/red cape moment.
I was thinking the same thing. Pretty cool.

At least Pete had something to do this episode.
Old 05-06-04, 08:03 AM

ENOUGH WITH THE CAVES ALREADY

Only bright spot was the blanket/cape bit.
Old 05-06-04, 08:19 AM

How did Lex know where to find Lionel, anyway? He, as far as we know, had never been to that place before, yet showed up a few minutes after Clark, who knew exactly where to go, did.
Old 05-06-04, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I liked with the ending with the knife disintegrating and Clark not knowing which Luthor touched it.
Old 05-06-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The cape thingy was nice, but was far more cooler when they did it in the pilot episode. (After the car/bridge incident, Clark & Lex are draped in big, red towels. When Clark gets up to leave, his towel billows against the wind, just like the Superman cape.)
Old 05-06-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Decent episode. Nothing special, but nothing particularly bad. Just happy we don't have the glut of "smallville sucks, i can't believe i still watch it, this season has been all downhill" posts.
Old 05-06-04, 07:26 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
for someone with supersensitive hearing, clark sure gets sneaked up on a lot ('specially in that barn). Mostly it's at the end when lana/chloe/lex come up for a final scene. Last night Lionel, Jeremiah, and Lex all were in the barn practically touching Clark before he even realized.
Old 05-06-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
Decent episode. Nothing special, but nothing particularly bad. Just happy we don't have the glut of "smallville sucks, i can't believe i still watch it, this season has been all downhill" posts.
It doesn't even seem like a Smallville threat without all of those comments, it just feels weird.

I thought the episode was pretty good. I couldn't help but roll my eyes when I read the premise for this episode, but I ended up liking it. I agree that the main plot with the superpower knife took a backseat to lex/clark/lionel struggle. I liked Lex's view on the "hero", it was some good foreshadowing.
Old 05-06-04, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
well, I guess i'll be the lone "this season has been all downhill" post for this thread [though, I think I enjoyed one or two eps].

if it keeps up like this next season, it's going to be as dead to me as "Enterprise" is...
Old 05-06-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In my honest opinion, this season has been boring. I don't think there was one episode this entire year that I felt was truly excellent. Majority of them have been average and the rest have been crap. Thats no good.
Old 05-06-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Not just with the main plot, but also with the secondary characters as well, and especially for once Pete calls Chloe out on her two faced nature. Good call, Pete. Where was that insight when you were racing kryptonite cars?

I am surprised nobody has talked about the next episode trailers. It looks to me as if cousin Kara might be coming into the series after all!
Old 05-06-04, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
I am surprised nobody has talked about the next episode trailers. It looks to me as if cousin Kara might be coming into the series after all!
I was thinking about that myself, wondering if they were going to introduce "Supergirl" into the series. As long as she's a semi-regular character, I'd be okay with that. Clark needs to get some re-direction in his destiny, and Kara is supposed to have a low-key existence
until something happens to Clark, right?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.