Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is Ashford.com legitimate?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-04, 08:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking for a new watch, and I noticed that Ashford (which I've never bought from before) scratches off the serial number of watch when you buy it. Of course this kills the factory warranty, so they provide their own for free.

This sounds really fishy to me. They claim that they do it to prevent disclosure of their sources (since they are not an authorized dealer), but I don't know. Can I trust something from them is a legitimate brand? Any ideas? Thanks.

All of our watches are genuine and authentic. Excluding our pre-owned watches, all watches are new. We buy our watches through authorized dealers and distributors and other established lines of distribution within the watch industry.

In order to provide you with the best possible savings on your watch purchase, our vendors must protect their sources of supply. For this reason, the serial number has been removed from certain of these new genuine brand name watches. Laws in your state may require us to refer to these watches as "secondhand". Under such circumstances, these watches are covered by Ashford.com's Limited Warranty and not by the original manufacturer. Our warranty matches or doubles the original manufacturer's warranty coverage period and our professional watch technicians service these watches in-house.
Old 05-01-04, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Is Ashford.com legitimate?

Originally posted by matta
I'm looking for a new watch, and I noticed that Ashford (which I've never bought from before) scratches off the serial number of watch when you buy it. Of course this kills the factory warranty, so they provide their own for free.

This sounds really fishy to me. They claim that they do it to prevent disclosure of their sources (since they are not an authorized dealer), but I don't know. Can I trust something from them is a legitimate brand? Any ideas? Thanks.
Ashford's a legitimate site, and they've been in business for years. They're pretty well-established.
Old 05-01-04, 03:30 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Is Ashford.com legitimate?

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
Ashford's a legitimate site, and they've been in business for years. They're pretty well-established.
Yeah, I know that Ashford.com has been active for awhile, but I don't know if it's the same owners (remember, it did delist from the Nasdaq and clear out it's inventory in 2002).
Old 05-01-04, 03:51 PM
Banned

Hmm..... in 2002, Odimo purchased Ashford.com. Searching for Odimo on BBB.org shows that it has an unsatisfactory record. The CSR had no knowledge of this.

But, I did find that they do not remove the serials from Movado watches, so I should be able to buy one then verify the serial with Movado. If it fails, they have a 30-day return policy with no restocking fee. That should also be satisfactory with my insurance company.

Last edited by matta; 05-01-04 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-01-04, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
The Whois Registrant information for ashford.com is:

Registrant:
Odimo, Incorporated (ASHFORD10-DOM)
14001 NW 4th Street
Sunrise, FL 33325
US
So, the Odimo reference seems correct.
Old 05-02-04, 07:51 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Todd B.
The Whois Registrant information for ashford.com is:

So, the Odimo reference seems correct.
Yeah, the CSR actually told me the story about Odimo (WorldofWatches.com) purchasing Ashford.com. When I asked about the unsatisfactory BBB Rating based on 3 unresolved complaints, he acted like he's never heard of the BBB before, and asked for the website (twice), then mentioned that his supervisor would take care of it very soon

We'll see.... I made the purchase using a Visa so I have that protection, and if it comes and it's not an authentic watch or is missing the serial number, it's going back (bizrate customers commented that they honor the return policy). I'll let you guys know the outcome if anyone cares.
Old 05-05-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Well, the way you can tell if the serial has been scraped is by the warranty. If the full 3-year warranty is offered, it's *not* scraped. If the "1-year limited Ashford.com" warranty is offered is *has* been scraped.

I bought a scraped Tag Heuer from them back in '99 and couldn't have been more pleased. It shipped the same day via FedEx overnight (free shipping upgrade). The funny thing was they used to accept stackable coupons back then! Two 50% off coupons + one "$50 off $200 or more" coupon meant that I got a $1000 watch from them for just over $200 - no wonder they were bought out!

I had to send it back to them back in 2001 to get the battery replaced - no worries there either - took a week or two.

Of course, all of this happened before they were bought-out, so things might have changed since then.
Old 05-06-04, 09:04 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Well, the way you can tell if the serial has been scraped is by the warranty. If the full 3-year warranty is offered, it's *not* scraped. If the "1-year limited Ashford.com" warranty is offered is *has* been scraped.
Not true. All of their watches come with the Ashford warranty only because they're not authorized dealers. For you to get a manufacturer's warranty on a premium watch, you have to buy from an authorized dealer. The manufacturers then tell the authorized dealers what they can sell the watch for, and the dealers have to comply or they'll lose their authorization. This prevents people from undercutting each other, and maintains the high value of the product (if a fine watch such as Rolex Submariner was sold on the internet for $200 new, it'd be devalued because it would become so common)