Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Check out this email I got from Ralph Garman (host of Joe Scmoe)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sent him an email, giving him some (I thought) constructive criticism on his movie reviews he does on Friday mornings on LA Radio. Obviously, he took the tone of my email too seriously and got a little upset with me.

His response to me
Are you an idiot? That was just a setup for the joke about MEAN GIRLS having big tits. I don't care about the freaking movies, they're all just set ups for jokes. Most people seem to get that, but a few morons seem to think I'm really trying review movies. Go to that tomato website if you want real movie reviews."
Old 04-30-04, 12:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I send similar emails (with much kinder wording) from time to time to people who take my posts on this forum a bit too seriously.
Old 04-30-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho

I send similar emails (with much kinder wording) from time to time to people who take my posts on this forum a bit too seriously.

I just thought it was funny. At first I was really mad and was going to send a nasty reply, but I decided not to. I did reply, but I actually kind of apologized, but saying that he misunderstood my intent.

But come on, he was telling people that Godsend was getting a positive buzz -- saying "They say its creepy and good."

I had to email him about that one.
Old 04-30-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His response might have been a little more interesting if you posted the email that you sent him instead of just paraphrasing it.
Old 04-30-04, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Peep
His response might have been a little more interesting if you posted the email that you sent him instead of just paraphrasing it.
I would have, but I don't save my sent mail (in Yahoo), and his response didn't contain my original email.

I actually wanted to see my original email just so I could see what I could have said that would have upset him so much. Emails doesn't always express tone very well, and I imagine he took my email as an attack on him.

However, I can assure you that I never called him names or even implied that I thought he was stupid or anything.

Edited to add: A clearer paraphrase of what I sent to him. I basically asked if he was really researching movies (which he mentioned before his Mean Girls joke), because to say that Godsend was getting good reviews was ridiculas considering rotten tomatoes showed only like 2 critics out of 45 liked the movie. I asked him who the "they" he was speaking of where, because it had to be one of those two critics. I also questioned his interest in Envy (he said it looked good and he wanted to see it) considering the negative press it was getting.

I then suggested that he should check out sites like Rottentomatoes before doing his bit. (He doesn't watch the movies before hand, his movie bit is really just telling people whats out and what they're about).

I didn't intend for it to sound bad... kind of a friendly jab... (i.e. What are you talking about? You want to see Godsend???).

Either way, I thought his response was harsh (calling me an idiot and moron)... And his defense that he doesn't care about the movies, but they're just lead-ins to jokes, isn't true. He does give some serious "reviews". The bit is not just there for jokes.

Last edited by DodgingCars; 04-30-04 at 06:38 PM.