E.r. - 04/29/04

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
E.r. - 04/29/04

"Abby Normal"

Spoiler:
A panicked Dr. Weaver is ordered to give up her son to the Lopez family; Dr. Carter greets Kem (Thandie Newton) upon her return to the hospital.

Cast: Noah Wyle, Laura Innes, Alex Kingston, Goran Visnjic, Maura Tierney, Ming-Na , Sherry Stringfield, Sharif Atkins, Mekhi Phifer, Linda Cardellini, Thandie Newton, Michael Gross.
Producer(s): John Wells, Michael Crichton, Neal Baer, Jack Orman.

Original Airdate: April 29, 2004.
Old 04-29-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ugh. Ugly woman is back?
Old 04-29-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is the cute, freckle-faced, psycho-seizure ridden mother the same girl that was on Ally McBeal the last season or two?
Old 04-29-04, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoiler:
based on the preview does Kim or the baby die???
Old 04-29-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Exzavier00
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
it appears both do
Old 04-29-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That was an excellent episode tonight - Maura Tierney was fantastic yet again. She is one of my top five favorite cast members in the long run of this show.

The rest of the show was pretty good, too, except for the Weaver scenes - keep Laura Innes behind the camera, not in front of it.

I liked Carter's pre-fight conference w/ the foundation's board/members.

It was interesting to see Neela's uber-geek come out in full view.

casting news:
Spoiler:
I was reading about Goran Visnjic being added to the cast of ELEKTRA and the article mentioned that next year would be his last as a cast member of E.R. - major bummer, imo.
Old 04-29-04, 10:42 PM

Not bad in all I thougt. It will be interesting to see what happens with carter next episode, It was cool to him manage the board and stuff. Pretty cool, he actually does have a pair.
Old 04-29-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by B.A.
Is the cute, freckle-faced, psycho-seizure ridden mother the same girl that was on Ally McBeal the last season or two?
Ugh. Julianna Nicholson something-or-other. I knew I'd seen that mug before. Don't remind me. 2 ugly women on tonight? Still Will and Grace here so I haven't seen the ep.
Old 04-29-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
another good episode...I've really enjoyed the last 3 or 4
Old 04-29-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Didn't really care for tonight's episode..

None of the storylines were interesting..

Neela did look particularly good tonite..

And, boy, NBC really doesn't care what they spoil in their promos, now do they..?
Old 04-30-04, 12:35 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally posted by Exzavier00
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
She has a miscarriage, I don't think she dies

I liked the Abby story. I hope the writers see what they can do when they leave her family off the show.

Neela didn't get on my nerves this episode
Old 04-30-04, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MrX
Spoiler:
She has a miscarriage, I don't think she dies

Don't tease. I like the other scenario better.

Neela geeking out was nice. Maura's showing she's more than filled up the Juliana spot.

I wasn't paying attention to the credits but was Sharif still there?
Old 04-30-04, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kal-El
Maura's showing she's more than filled up the Juliana spot.
I think that's the first time you and I have ever agreed on anything concerning this show.

I was just thinking tonight that she's kind of taken over that Heart And Soul role that Julianna used to fill.
Old 04-30-04, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was wondering where she was from because she looked so familiar.
Old 04-30-04, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Maura's been the heart and soul of the show for years now since filling in for Marguiles.
Old 04-30-04, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Patman
Maura's been the heart and soul of the show for years now since filling in for Marguiles.
My thoughts exactly.

MrX - her character is a million times better when they leave the familial drama out of the show. I was thinking just that as I watched last night's show.
Old 04-30-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
recap:

"Abby Normal"

An episode focused on Abby getting to the bottom of the psychosomatic seizure from the new mother, Jordan, a couple of episodes ago. It seemed that the baby's presence was the factor that caused the seizures. They talk, Abby does a quid pro quo by revealing something about herself to Jordan to gain her confidence. Abby cited that she basically never finishes anything in her life, always abandons projects, pursuits, relationships. Jordan admits to having another child 8 years ago who died from SIDS. With that nugget of information, Abby needed to delve deeper into Jordan's past, but Abby was against the clock as the insurance coverage lapsed in 3 days, so she uses Amitol to get Jordan to un-repress her memories.

Jordan, while under Amitol gives a sad account of being in an abusive relationship with a man who couldn't deal with the baby's contant crying, and she feared for both her and her baby's life as the baby kept crying and crying while fearing the worse from the baby's father, and this made Jordan scared, so she held her baby close until she thought the baby was asleep, but in fact, she suffocated the child, and it was later classified as SIDS. By bringing that repressed memory to the fore, Jordan could better deal with her new child's presence her in life. Unfortunately, the revelation has the social worker assigned to the case looking into charging Jordan with criminal charges for her first baby's death. Abby's psyche mentor was impressed by the way Abby conducted herself in this case.

Weaver was on the cusp of running away with Henry, but gave the boy back to Sandy's relative (with lawyer in tow) in the end. Corday has been showing concern for Weaver. Abby also went into search mode when Weaver and Henry weren't in the lounge where Abby left him when Sandy's relative showed up to pick up Henry.

Neela is having just a little too much fun with the research boys, who got in trouble by performing mind-expanding/non-inhibitor experiments which required some ER attention. Pratt gets on Neela's case about Mike sacrificing himself so she could have a medicine career and to decide once and for all if she's into ER medicine, and if not, then she's just taking up space.

Pratt had to deal with a large young guy who had super-high blood pressure after coming in from messing up his hand from his job as a short-order cook. His tox-screen came out negative.

Carter picks up Kimba from the airport, and shows her what he's been up to in prepping their new house for their baby. She seemed impressed by his work.

Carter showed the foundation who's boss by changing the direction of the foundation (started by his grandfather and grandmother) from an arts-related foundation to a medical-related foundation. And he pulled the "if you don't like it, leave" card. Kimba meets Carter's dad, the reception was a little on the aloof side, but he was a little pre-occupied with Carter's handling of the foundation.

Luka is very distant with Sam while her son's father is staying with her.

Last edited by Patman; 04-30-04 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-30-04, 11:32 AM

...her character is a million times better when they leave the familial drama out of the show. I was thinking just that as I watched last night's show.
I was thinking how it was interesting that Abby is doing so well in her Psych rotation, given all the problems she has had with her family. Then, I immediately thought how much it would suck if they brought back her family now that she might be able to deal with her mother and brother from a more professional standpoint.

This was another good episode, despite the Weaver stuff.

Last edited by birdseye; 04-30-04 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-30-04, 12:04 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
I agree too.