Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

8 ABC Affiliates Told Not to Air "NIGHTLINE"

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8 ABC Affiliates Told Not to Air "NIGHTLINE"

According to Zap2It, the owner of 8 ABC affiliates has told them not to air the episode of "Nightline" in which all the names of the soldiers killed in action in Iraq will be named.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|87824|1|,00.html

"While the Sinclair Broadcast Group honors the memory of the brave members of the military who have sacrificed their lives in the service of our country, we do not believe such political statements should be disguised as news content," the company's statement says. It also asks why "Nightline" anchor Ted Koppel won't instead be reading the names of victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
ABC News responds that "Nightline" and its other news programs have reported "hundreds of stories" on the 9/11 attacks, and that the network aired the names of the victims on the first anniversary of the attacks.

"The 'Nightline' broadcast is an expression of respect which simply seeks to honor those who have laid down their lives for this country," ABC says.

Sinclair also recently began sending "good news" stories about Iraq to its local stations -- an effort, it says, to counter the stream of downbeat coverage about the U.S.-led occupation.
Does this seem horribly lame to anyone else?
Old 04-29-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
One would think the ownership would be level-headed enough to allow viewers to make a choice whether watch it. Guess not.
Old 04-29-04, 01:27 PM

This is outrageous.
Old 04-29-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
It's not outrageous. We're winning the war in Iraq. All of the civilians are cooperating. No soldiers have died since Bush declared the war "over".

Jeez...where are you guys getting your "good" news from?!?!
Old 04-29-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It also asks why "Nightline" anchor Ted Koppel won't instead be reading the names of victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
Sounds like they ought to try watching Nightline or any other actual news program sometime. What does one have to do with the other? Why not read the names of people struck by lightning last year also, then?
Old 04-29-04, 05:59 PM

This is nothing more than a cheap ratings stunt for sweeps exploiting the memory of our fallen servicemen ABC and Ted Koppel should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 04-29-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Those damned Liberal Media censors!!!!!!

oh, wait a minute.........
Old 04-29-04, 08:33 PM

"One would think the ownership would be level-headed enough to allow viewers to make a choice whether watch it. Guess not."

One would think that the ownership would show something that they feel they want to show on TV, and viewers can choose to change the channel if they dont like the replacement programming.

"Sounds like they ought to try watching Nightline or any other actual news program sometime. What does one have to do with the other? Why not read the names of people struck by lightning last year also, then?"

3000 people died, killed in an act of war on 9/11 in New York. 700 Americans have died fighting a war in Iraq. This is political for them to air the names and you have to be a fool not to recognize. Its "in" for the media to be against the war right now , and ABC is trying to cash in.
Old 04-29-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Stu 17
Its "in" for the media to be against the war right now , and ABC is trying to cash in.
Apparently it's not just "in" for the media. A New York Times/CBS poll showed that more Americans are now against the war than are for the war. I guess if we refuse to stick our heads up our asses and allow our selves to be spoonfed by the GOP, then we're anti-American or something.
Old 04-29-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone else expect anything less of Sinclair Broadcasting? They are basically the Clear Channel of television.

For the past few year's they been homogenizing their local newscasts so that only a small portion is actually local. The rest of the show is taped at their Baltimore headquarters. Basically all of Sinclair's newcasts look identical no matter if you live in Los Angeles or Boise.

Here's a link to an article about them from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
http://www.post-gazette.com/columnis...hann1215p5.asp
Old 04-29-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Stu 17
3000 people died, killed in an act of war on 9/11 in New York. 700 Americans have died fighting a war in Iraq. This is political for them to air the names and you have to be a fool not to recognize.
I guess I am a "fool" then since I realize that 9/11 and Iraq have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

What I want to know is why this desire to sweep under the rug all the people who have made such an ultimate sacrifice for our country? Don't they deserve at least some recognition for losing their lives?

I remember watching several 9/11 specials which aired all the names of the dead, and those people were sadly just in the wrong place at the wrong time. These young kids went over to Iraq willingly to fight in a war, knowing they could die. Why should their bravery not be acknowledged? Shame on anyone who wants to ignore their deaths.

I suppose the Vietnam War wall is merely a political statement?
Old 04-29-04, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It would be cool if they listed the names of the Iraqi policemen and civilains that the insurgents have killed... just to see how they pronounced the names
Old 04-29-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think the point is ... why are they choosing to read the names now?
Old 04-29-04, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia
Isn't this a bit premature though?

It's a bit early for memorials when the war isn't over yet.
Old 04-29-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why not read the names of people struck by lightning last year also, then?
If our military were dying while fighting a war against thunderstorms, it would be compeletely appropriate and understandable.
Old 04-30-04, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by madcougar
I guess if we refuse to stick our heads up our asses and allow our selves to be spoonfed by the GOP, then we're anti-American or something.
Essentially, that's it. They'll try to dress it up better than that, but that's the assumption.
Old 04-30-04, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First Howard Stern now Ted Koppell??

This IS the end of civiliziation as we now it

Seriously though I don't see what the big deal is??..Why would you boycott something like this.

Fact is soldiers are dying everyday in this so called war. MSNBC has a giant billboard in their studios with pictures of soldiers who went to Iraq is that wrong too??
Old 04-30-04, 05:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by silentbob007
Because Memorial Day doesn't fall during sweeps week
Old 04-30-04, 06:31 AM

I would also think it has something to do with the one year anniversary tomorrow of a certain presidiential publicity stunt...
Old 04-30-04, 07:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What I want to know is why this desire to sweep under the rug all the people who have made such an ultimate sacrifice for our country? Don't they deserve at least some recognition for losing their lives?

They do deserve (and receive) recognition the question is about motivation behind those doing the program. Is it right to exploit their deaths in this manner (as some people believe it is doing)? Whether for sweeps or because of the anniversary tomorrow ABC is making a political statement/commentary. They are a news organization and since news seems to be as much about reporting opinions/commentary as facts these days that's their job. I just don't buy they are doing this for purely altruistic reasons.

Of course the Vietnam War wall is a political statement, why do you think it was designed the way it was? It is a symbolic scar on the Mall (black wall dug out of an existing hill instead of built on top).
Old 04-30-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by silentbob007

Old 04-30-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
This is from www.theonion.com and I think it's kind of fitting for the thread...

Bush To Iraqi Militants: 'Please Stop Bringing It On'
WASHINGTON, DC—In an internationally televised statement Monday, President Bush modified a July 2003 challenge to Iraqi militants attacking U.S. forces. "Terrorists, Saddam loyalists, and anti-American insurgents: Please stop bringing it on now," Bush said at a Monday press conference. "Nine months and 500 U.S. casualties ago, I may have invited y'all to bring it on, but as of today, I formally rescind that statement. I would officially like for you to step back." The president added that the "it" Iraqis should stop bringing includes gunfire, bombings, grenade attacks, and suicide missions of all types.
Old 04-30-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not read the names of people struck by lightning last year also, then?
or the names of people who have been killed by drunk drivers.
Old 04-30-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Is this Other, Part II? Both the thread topic and the above Onion post are established threads in Other.
Old 04-30-04, 11:50 AM

I don't care one way or the other whether Nightline wants to read those names. What is outrageous is Sinclair escalating the political argument by refusing to air a network show because of ideological -- not legal or financial -- reasons. I know the word censorship is being bandied about a lot these days, but to me, this stinks of it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.