Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Mad about you? and show that you will miss the most after May
Friends
34.21%
Fraiser
15.79%
Angel
50.00%
The Practice
0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Mad about You?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mad about You?

I am a huge fan of "Friends" and "Will and Grace" yet I have never seen a single episode of "Mad About You." I live out in the booneys so there arn't really any repeats of the episodes to judge, but the series seems like a great idea and that I would like it. I have been thinking about buying season 1 on DVD, but I hate to buy DVD's blind... I am just wondering if and you think Mad about you was good enought for DVD?
Old 04-29-04, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Mad About You, always have enjoyed it. It has a great cast and dealt with relationships quite well. Plus, Paul Reiser just cracks me up. The first seasons of Mad About You were great, kinda faultered a bit when the series reached its last few seasons but I still enjoyed them.

As for the DVDs, they lack any supplements and aren't the greatest picture and sound, but I plop in a Mad About You every now and again just for some fun. Hopefully they'll get around to releasing Season 3 pretty soon.
Old 04-29-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mad About You, another show where introducing a baby into it TOTALLY KILLED the show.
Old 04-29-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I liked Mad About You, and bought the dvd sets...funny show. Paul Reiser is great....reminds me, where is the dvd set for "My Two Dads"?!
Old 04-29-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i thought it wasnt funny at all
Old 04-29-04, 01:19 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Phil L.
Mad About You, another show where introducing a baby into it TOTALLY KILLED the show.
What? I thought the opposite. The show was dying way before the baby. I thought the baby made the show much better. The 2 best episodes of Mad About You are the single shot one and the series finale. Both of which are a result of the baby.

I think Mad About You is the show I most want a greatest hits dvd rather than season sets. I'd love to have the 2 previously mentioned episodes available to watch anytime, but overall the series was never that great.
Old 04-29-04, 01:32 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Of the ones mentioned, I watch Friends, but never cared for Mad About You.
Old 04-29-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Usually, they introduce a baby into the show as a last ditch effort to save it from sagging ratings. It never seems to work, so I'm not sure why they keep trying it.
Old 04-29-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Frasier is going out in a return to form, but has run it's course. Friends is going out on a downward slope, past it's prime. I'll miss Angel the most of those listed.
Old 04-29-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Will really miss Angel.

Don't watch Frasier and have only watched Friends on a casual basis.

Have never seen The Practice.
Old 04-29-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Never watched Mad About You during it's run, but I've watched quite a few episodes in syndication. Very funny show, the two leads are excellent. The show died painfully after the baby was born.

Definitely going to miss Friends. I was an avid watcher from day one. The quality may have slipped some these last few years, but it's still one of my favorite sitcoms.

Hate Frasier. With an unparallelled intensity.

I've never seen The Practice or Angel.
Old 04-29-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mad About You was very cute, and the chemistry between Paul Reiser and Helen Hunt was charming to watch. Nothing too special.

IIRC, Lifetime airs repeats in early morning and very late night. The DVDs are less than stellar, and kind of overpriced for average picture quality and no extras.
Old 04-29-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I started watching Angel this season. And they go and cancel it on me. It makes sense. Every time I started investing my time in a show, they end up cancelling it.
Old 04-30-04, 04:00 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't get how the poll and the post correllate?
Old 04-30-04, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
i had never put together that the ursula (phoebe's twin sister) character was a crossover between mad about you and friends until corrie pointed it out lastnight
Old 04-30-04, 10:13 AM

My wife and I are constantly told that we are the real-life Jaime and Paul, so we collect the "Mad About You" DVDs. Since we started watching them the same year we got married, we have a nice parallel to their own pains on newlywed-ness. When we watch it, we're constantly nudging each other and saying "hey, that's what you do!"

Best example comes from Season One's "The Spy Girl Who Loved Me", when Paul goes nuts about something and Jaime tells him "I'm sending you to camp". Now my wife uses that on me.
Old 04-30-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by twikoff
i had never put together that the ursula (phoebe's twin sister) character was a crossover between mad about you and friends until corrie pointed it out lastnight
Yes and for those who did not know, Paul was the previous owner of Kramer's apartment in Seinfeld.

In an episode of Mad About You, Jamie finds out that Paul still owns his old bachelor pad and is subleasing it to the current tenant. Paul eventually just gives the apartment to the current tenant who happens to be Kramer. So Paul was the former neighbor of Jerry.
Old 04-30-04, 11:59 AM

Re: Mad about You?

Originally posted by critterdvd
I have been thinking about buying season 1 on DVD, but I hate to buy DVD's blind... I am just wondering if and you think Mad about you was good enought for DVD?
If you want to watch an episode before you buy, keep an eye out for Cereal Boxes with an episode on DVD . I guess, that's if they have cereal in the boonies.
Old 04-30-04, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Remember poor George Costanza and the pain on his face when he knew Mad About You was going to be a weekly chore? That pretty much sums up how I felt about the show. Great if you're a chick I suppose, otherwise,

Considering that I haven't consistently watched Friends since it jumped the shark after Vegas and I haven't consistently watched Frasier since it jumped the shark when Niles and Daphne got married, I will miss The Practice, even though I only started watching it (after a 4 season hiatus) again a month ago. Of course, The Practice isn't really going anywhere - at least the best of it anyway - James Spader.
Old 04-30-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Friends.
Old 04-30-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
strong agreement

When this came out many aspects mirrored the life of myself and Mrs. Pusser. But after a few seasons it got kinda old plus we didn't yet have children.
Old 04-30-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Mattrk
My wife and I are constantly told that we are the real-life Jaime and Paul, so we collect the "Mad About You" DVDs. Since we started watching them the same year we got married, we have a nice parallel to their own pains on newlywed-ness. When we watch it, we're constantly nudging each other and saying "hey, that's what you do!"

That's how we felt.

Never seen the Practice, Frasier or Angel.
Old 05-01-04, 01:10 AM
Suspended

None of the Above
Old 05-01-04, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I really like Mad About You. The best adjective I can use for it is "quirky."

I watched it when it was on originally. I got married last year and picked up the sets. My wife had never seen it. And like mentioned, it is funny how well it captures real life, mirroring our own.

That being said season 1 is great except for any scene that Selby is in. I think he killed the show more than Mable(aka the baby). They would have this great chemistry & comedy going on with the cast and then Selby would enter the room and kill both. Completely unfunny character. Good thing they brought in Ira towards the end of the season.